Angling Clubs and Associations

N

Nigel Dalton

Most Angling clubs have a good selection of waters to offer their members for a relatively small outlay per year. The problem is, how can you find out which associations have which stretches of water and who to ask, especially if you want to fish somewhere out of your area?

S

Stewart Bloor

Nigel, one plan of action, particularly as you have access to the Internet is to post a message on a Forum. Even if it's quite a general one initially ie 'does anyone know where I can fish on the Severn?' it will hopefully produce a response and then generate some finer details.
The good thing about Forum's like this is that they are read by anglers from all around the country, so there's a good chance of someone being able to help out.
But you are right about clubs. For a minimal outlay you can have access to some excellent and varied water. All the clubs that I currently have tickets with (bar one) have an open member policy and are actually happy to do business with you.

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Stewart. I agree with you re: open member policy, etc. I only have a ticket with one club and they are always very helpful. But I do understand the problem encountered by Nigel. When I first bought the above mentioned ticket/book i was bewildered by the descriptions of the club waters! "The upper watsit stretch of the Nene" and so on means nothing to anyone other than those who regularly fish it.

S

Stewart Bloor

Hi Malcolm, I understood Nigel's question as to how do you get the knowledge about waters in the first place rather than once you've joined the club and got the handbook.
Still, I do take your point about directions and maps of waters. Some are really difficult to work out, which is why I try to do my homework before I leave when I'm tackling a water for the first time. On the other hand, one or two of the clubs I'm a member of really go to town and produce excellent informative water guides. However, in the case of one, you pay another ?15 or so just for the information, which you do need, as the club card is not enough as it just lists the names of stretches.

M

Malcolm Bason

Sorry Stewart I didn't mean to imply that you misunderstood! I know you understood Nigel's question in the first place. It was my misuse of grammar etc. Please forgive me.

N

Nigel Dalton

Thank you both for your input. I have a Hull and District book which gives me access to some good waters but of course there are a lot of other rivers, canals etc. close by which are controlled by other associations. If I want to fish certain stretches of the Derwent (Yorkshire one) or the Ouse for instance, you're right, I don't know where or how to get to them or who controls them without a lot of leg work. So for instance, Clubs could advertise their wares on the net, telling people what they've got to offer and for how much etc. This way you can make your choice in a much more informed way.

S

Stewart Bloor

Malcolm, your sins are forgiven.....
Talking about clubs with web sites, there are a few that spring to mind, but as most clubs are run by enthusiatic, but hard pushed volunteers, the operative word would be 'few'.

C

Chris Bishop

Ring local tackle shops. They're usually your best source of info because they'll sell licences for all the local clubs.

Or get hold of the fishing correspondant for the local paper. The sports desk will usually put you in touch with them.

B

Bar Barbus

The EA Or at Least Lower Trent) used to produce Booklets showing maps of the area, indicating who owned what water and contact details. in addition they used to list free waters and still waters.

Don't know if they still do it but worth a try.

B

Bar Barbus

The EA Or at Least Lower Trent) used to produce Booklets showing maps of the area, indicating who owned what water and contact details. in addition they used to list free waters and still waters.

Don't know if they still do it but worth a try.

N

Nigel Dalton

This kind of local knowledge is the stuff I was initially talking about. We need an angling encyclopaedia all pooled together. Of course we'd have to keep the best swims secret!!

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Don't know why you are bothering......just buy a BAA ticket!After all they own it all dont they?