Angling Legends

• Thread starter paul williams 2
  • Start date

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
I am amazed ED that Ivan stopped talking long enough to consume copious amounts of said chocolate cake.
He could talk alright, in fact I'd say he was hyperactive right until his untimely death. He loved taliking about fishing and fishing people.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

He was only a young whippersnapper at the time ...

As were Graham and I ...........

W

Wolfman Woody

He was only about 32 when he died, according to him. His clocked stopped at his transplant and restarted after with the age of the donor.

I'll vouch for the fact that he loved talking. He spent most of an evening on his knees talking to me as he didn't have time to find a chair. He paid for it the day after though, poor sod.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Yes and thanks to good old Chris Barnard who's pioneering work at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town gave Ivan another 10 years.

And in another field, Barnard was certainly some legend. His womanising was legendary in the extreme. He's dead now of course.

And talking of Merv. Those of you who have never been to one of Merv's legendary stag nights have not lived. They were held at the Rugby Club in Coventry. I was invited to one. Merv decribed it as a gentlemen's evening where anglers get together for a nice meal a few drinks and discourse on fishing.

Well that's how it seemed to start off.

Then when everyone was fed (on a very large goose) and watered, Merv announced the evening's enetertainment.

First there came a Brummie comedian who delivered a tirade of the fastest and most
filthy one-liners I have ever heard in my life.

And then the "ladies" arrived - three of the ruffest slapper strippers you have ever seen in your life. The Monk would have been in his element!

They proceeded to grab the nearest blokes they could get their hands on. One poor bloke who is now a very famous angler, was stripped on stage. I wish I had brought a camera, I would be worth a fortune by now.

I spent most of the rest of the evening hiding behind the bar with Tref West and Tony Miles.

Never again!!!

E

We used to go every year .......and join in the 'on stage'(-a ciggy stump covered floor-)entertainment ....

What great nights they were .....and the entertainment carried on later at Mervs house ...

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

They were good nights. I remember waking one morning in the back of my car in the rugby club (Saracens?) carpark, no shoes think other well known carper chucked em in skip. Anyhow, Roger Smith had his bivvy proped up against the front of my car, we drank well into dawn. Well, it had to be done, i woke at around 10am and hit the horn, Rogers bivvy rose a few feet then went all over the car park, bless. He still made me a cuppa.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

So did you join in the on-stage entertainment Ed?

I'll bet that was a laugh...... :eek:D

That particular night I spent at Tref West's house. We slept on the lounge carpet.

I do believe that Brummie was there that night.

E

Yes Wol -It was the Saracens Club

The invitations from Merv one year were for

"A Gentlemans Bacchanalia"

(a posh way of saying a boozy stag night )

and they were certainly that .....

P

paul williams 2

Ed...was that you "joining in" with the live entertainment, with a certain part of your antomy disapearing and reapearing and getting blitzed by peanuts flicked by about 40 of us?

Whoever it was was he carried on in "dogged" style regardless!!

E

no --not me (honest)

:-(

Not that time ......

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Think i was talking about the wrong Merve on this thread,think it was Merve Harrison i was on about because of his dry wit and sense of humour although im sure Merve Wilkinson is much the same

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Another legendary evening were those spit roasts put on by Fred J Taylor in the late 80s and early 90s in aid of the ACA.

Anyone who was anyone in the British Angling World was there. They cost a nominal fee and all profits went to the ACA.

Eric Hodson went to several and really good evenings they were too.

Did any of you lot go to one?

I was also fortunate in being able to attend a few NASA exhibitions and conferences. They were really good get togethers and it is a crying shame that they are not held now. I have a few photos of the people who attended these functions, like a picture of Peter Stone and The Monk in the days when The Monk was an angler!

T

The Monk

The Monk was an angler! haha, I`m still an angler mate

but yes great days, I loved the old NASA dos, very sadly missed

E

I went to a number at Loughborough University and one at Guildford University

Was there one at Keele university or was that something else ?