• focus on other issues

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • don't care, it does not represent my views

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I think the wording of the 3 choices is pretty much succinct.
It is if your mindset is simple and the current CS law suits you and (if you pardon me saying) you don't contribute to the other issues, or like many anglers, just a bystander.

I couldn't answer 'sort out the close season', because that would ignore the other issues that brings far greater benefits than a close season ever would. I can't also ignore the close season debate because it does need sorting/modifying to bring it into modern day thinking, IMO, and I would offer my support to change it. The 'don't give a damn' applies to fools not interested in fish life or are merely out there for their own pleasure, unless the one that has answered has misinterpreted the meaning of the questions or just wishes to annoy you.

Incidentally, a lot of chub are found thriving in stillwaters that are close to rivers and have been stocked in flooded conditions, just as carp have found their way into river systems when the stillwater they lived in was flooded. One lake back in the 90s reported a near record chub that was believed to have been there for some years and young chub were also caught in the water.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is if your mindset is simple and the current CS law suits you and (if you pardon me saying) you don't contribute to the other issues, or like many anglers, just a bystander.

Regardless of any amount of spin Jeff, it is pretty obvious that the vast majority of people who participated think that the Angling Trust would be far better off focusing their efforts of other issues.

Given that the Trust have not really managed to improve on membership all that much since the ACA days I think they would be far better advised to leave the Close Season isuue alone and not get too engaged in matters that are bound to divide existing members.

Better to concentrate on issues that unite anglers, such as over abstraction and predation (both human and other) in order to increase membership rather than become embroiled in one that is sure to divide and reduce.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Because once again, it suits your purpose

Would that be my purpose as a supporter of the current Close Season or my purpose as a member of the Angling Trust?

Who says it will be the Trust that changes the CS law?

Well Jeff, they seem to be in prime position by kicking this one off.

I might just revive the old ANGLERS' VOICE!

Well, good luck with that one then . . . . . . .

PS: Calm down dear, there are only 53 days and about 11 hours to go until you can fish on the river again . . . . . . . .

Last edited:

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Peter,
The poll would suggest like you say most think the trust should concentrate on the real threats that our rivers face. I’m sure you contribute to angling in a lot of ways. Not all anglers are mere bystanders, they don’t see the need to keep telling everyone what they do.

Regards
Ray

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m sure you contribute to angling in a lot of ways. Not all anglers are mere bystanders, they don’t see the need to keep telling everyone what they do.

I do my bit where I can, I sponsor a couple of young match anglers in the midlands, help out with a charity aimed to get kids into fishing and sponsor a couple of matches as well.

I don't think I am of a simple mindset either, well, not according to all the scores I got in all those exams, and in my day they didn't exactly give degrees away, unlike these days . . . . . .

Seems as if Jeff is scraping the bottom of the barrel at the moment. Maybe he needs another "steer" from his mole?