Another Lake bans Immigrants

Bill Cox

Reaction score
Very difficult to act in any way at all really without being branded a racist or a OTT bully. Speaking as someone whose club is a target for "thieves" taking fish for the pot i can say first hand that there is nothing much you can do save prey you catch someone in the act and then take an exacting and painfull revenge. Seems to me a cwt of lead and a big tarpaulin is the only real answer to these *******s.:)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Deja vu ??

Yes, I think we have been here before.

Most Eastern Europeans that I have met have been ok. In the main they are here to work and do the best they can in life for themselves and their families. The ones I have met have generally been ok and behave themselves far better than a lot of Brits both here and abroad. It smacks of double standards when someone posts on this site that they or a member of their family are considering moving abroad or emigrating they seem to get a collective pat on the back from the members, fair enough, but when guys from abroad come here it's a different kettle of fish (pun not intended).

Wag

Reaction score
"of Polish stock born in Wales"

best not be taking her fishing then Woody - she might eat all the carp with seaweed and leeks :p

S

Scott Whatmore

I think the fishery owner is very wrong to put that sign up. I have sympathy that he is having his fish stolen and there is nothing the law can/will do.

Who knows what the answer is, but blatant racism is not it.

Notices of regular patrols of the fishery and on the spot searches may help.

preston96

Reaction score
I think the fishery owner is very wrong to put that sign up. I have sympathy that he is having his fish stolen and there is nothing the law can/will do.

Who knows what the answer is, but blatant racism is not it.

Notices of regular patrols of the fishery and on the spot searches may help.

Thats more or less my view to, a thief is a thief an angler is an angler.....race or creed doesn't enter it for me.

As for airports ........that is frightening, enough said.

Bill Cox

Reaction score
when i was abouty 18 i went to thank an old guy who had recommended me for a job which i subsequently got. As i went up his path i could hear screaming going around the building i came across Taff as he was known with a lad of about 15/16 whom he had trapped by closing his hands in a hugh wooden vice on an out side workbench. Taff was about 67 then i suppose and over 6'6" tall. he had caught the said oik in his tool shed rifeling his tools. The screaming was coming from the lad as not only was he trapped but taff was hitting his ass with a small plank of wood. i said to taff that perhaps he ought to let the lad go but he refused and said he didnt give a stuff if he went to prison he was going to teach the lad a lesson. He didn't go to prison and i still know the lad in the vice who is now a fine upstanding member of the local community. maybe we should go back to good old fashioned pain and fear to deal with these people, it would sort most of them out.

S

Scott Whatmore

The birch, delivered by a fully trained individual specifically employed by the court to carry out a damned good thrashing, is the answer to a lot of punishment questions for any number of crimes. It would save an absolute fortune and deter a lot of repeat offenders. For those that do re-offend, lock em up with hard labour to earn basic rations. No soft time in comfy, open, hotel like prisons.

I firmly believe in being allowed to protect both you and yours, but there must be a limit and clamping someone in a vice is a tad too far for me. The rest was fine. Whether Tom, **** or Pawel, a theif is a theif.

To keep this in context with the thread any punishment delivered is totally conditional with the culprit being caught AND convicted. This seems to be the stumbling block in this case.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
i came across Taff as he was known with a lad of about 15/16 whom he had trapped by closing his hands in a hugh wooden vice on an out side workbench.

Well Bill, we all have our vices, Fortunately: Imprisonment without trial , kidnapping, kangaroo courts, torture and God knows what else have never been mine.

It's a very small step from the situation you have described to violent attacks on minorities, that's why it has always been illegal to take the law into your own hands and for an individual to act as; Judge, jury and executioner. What may be seen as a minor misdemeanor by one person is another person's mortal sin.

Bill Cox

Reaction score
Ray i offer no comment on whether he was right to do as he did just recounting a true story. If you read it i did in fact suggest to him that he release the boy. It is also a good bet that sad as it is to go back to it the birch and the clip around the ear are greater deterents then anything we have today. fear of phisical retrebution is an option maybe you have a better one?

delphi 73

Reaction score
Yes, I think we have been here before.

Most Eastern Europeans that I have met have been ok. In the main they are here to work and do the best they can in life for themselves and their families. The ones I have met have generally been ok and behave themselves far better than a lot of Brits both here and abroad. It smacks of double standards when someone posts on this site that they or a member of their family are considering moving abroad or emigrating they seem to get a collective pat on the back from the members, fair enough, but when guys from abroad come here it's a different kettle of fish (pun not intended).

Very difficult to act in any way at all really without being branded a racist or a OTT bully. Speaking as someone whose club is a target for "thieves" taking fish for the pot i can say first hand that there is nothing much you can do save prey you catch someone in the act and then take an exacting and painfull revenge. Seems to me a cwt of lead and a big tarpaulin is the only real answer to these *******s.

Two very different views. Ones a pacifist and the other is a top bloke (have to say that he is standing behind me with a a cwt of lead and a big tarpaulin;);).

We need something in the middle - the EA wont police it or attempt to stop it so the owner needs to. I just hate the term RACIST it thrown about way to much when it not even relevant.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Banning an entire nation of people from fishing there is racial discrimination, there are no two ways about it. There are degrees of racial discrimination, obviously this is not in the same league as some of history's darker moments, but it is discrimination non-the-less.

The owner has made it an act of discrimination by choosing to bar only people from specific countries. The terms of his new rule are essentially the definition of racial discrimination.

Now that doesn't mean that he himself is a racist, he is trying to protect his stock of fish and no one can blame for being p*ss*d off about that.

I just don't understand how anyone could think a blanket ban like this would cause anything other than more problems and a possible legal backlash.

People should be, and are entitled to be, treated as individuals - that means the theives should be dealt with as theives and the people who want to fish are allowed to fish, regardless of what country they were born in.

dezza

Reaction score
Racial and sexual discrimination are rife throughout the world.

Try becoming a Freemason if you are female? Try getting into a mosque if you are female?

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
A blanket ban seems unfair but I won't lose sleep over it. Remember English football clubs in Europe after Heysel? Signs banning schoolchildren from newsagents? Thieves have spoiled it for the good guys, perhaps the E.E. community can have a word with itself and start to address these issues, claiming ignorance of the rules of law are not an acceptable excuse and everybody knows that.Perhaps a few meetings in the Polish centres dotted around the country that I contributed in part to.
Hunting mussels with spearguns ? Yeah right.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/headlines/4552471.Fishery_boss_refuses_to_drop_Pole_ban/

Oh, and Cakey, regarding travellers being banned, I was working in High Wycombe a few years ago when the whole town shut down in the afternoon for 3 days and the pubs all kept in contact via Motorola walkie talkies. How did this come about ? Because a pikey community were having a wake/clan meeting whatever and the trouble that ensued was too much for the businesses, fat lot of good the police did then either. Must have cost 10's of thousands in lost revenue.

Last edited:

Paul H

Reaction score
Discrimination, not racial discrimination though as travellers can come from anywhere.

Ron is right, discrimination is everywhere - that, however, doesn't make it right.

People have the right to be treated as individuals.

Ray hit the nail on the head earlier - how would we, as British citizens, feel if European countries or hotels, bars etc... banned us as job lot based on the actions of a few morons abroad?

Bill Cox

Reaction score
So what is the answer? i don't think there is one save perhaps having a live in bailiff on every water, and who can afford that?:(

Cakey

Reaction score
get more people fishing then it self bailiffs so drop the price of a rod licence day tickets tackle etc
they would sell twice as much so no one out of pocket but then I woke up.....................:D:D

Paul H

Reaction score
Someone must be there to take for the day tickets and to enforce the fishery rules, whatever they are - barbless only etc...

I agree it seems like a catch 22 situation but blanket bans are unfair and quite probably illegal.

Would he ban everyone English because a few got drunk and left empty cans around the lake?

That certainly seems to be problem on some waters.

How about taking this to its logical conclusion? Humans steal the fish, break the rules and leave litter behind so ban all humans, I'd like to see him get day ticket prices out of the herons, cormorants, mink and otters.

It may sound ridiculous but its supposed to - I used the same logic he did.

Bully

Reaction score
This made me laugh -

Last night, Polish embassy spokesman Robert Szaniawski said: “This is clearly very racist and implies that we are some sort of uncivilised race that doesn’t know how to behave. By no means do Poles take or eat any more fish than the British.”

*******s - Carp is a national dish in Poland, in fact I think its their standard Christmas dinner from memory!

Mr Szaniawski - please justify your claims........and how I met some years back some Poles taking barbel (yes barbel) from the Lea.