Anti Angling

Beedz

Reaction score
fair enough comment nigel, however it's not only this incedent that people are becoming increasingly worried about

M

MaNick

PETER!...
the second part of the text is not relevant, so why should i quote it.

Fact is, we have differing views, and YOU are keen for everybody to be behind the CA because you coincidently also support many of their other causes!...

This is exactly what worries be, that the supporters of "cruel sports" want to get as many people on board as possible, so angling is a good recruitment site!..

P

Peter (the Tackle Tart) Jacobs

Nick,

Let me try to set the record straight.

1. I am not particularly in favour of Fox Hunting, I would not ride with the hunt myself, but I would defend their right to do so.

2. Even the governments own inquiry into fox hunting being "cruel" concluded that it could NOT uphold the fact that the hunting of foxes with dogs was cruel - The Burns Report.

3. My opposition to the fox hunting ban is totally on the grounds of political and parliamentary priniples and the fact that no one has yet come out with a decent, logical argument on how we are going to cull up to 14,000 foxes a year.
The only available alternatives being; Lamping, Shooting, Gassing and/or Snaring - now do you still want to talk about "cruelty"?

4. Yes, I support rough shooting and I see no reasonable argument against it.

My support of the CA with regards to angling is, as I have stated previously, that I wholly believe that they are far better suited, staffed, funded and experienced to defend our right to fish than ANY of the current angling organisations.

I can understand that there is a reticence on behalf of many anglers to ally with the CA, but IMHO they ae currently the best available option at the moment.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nick,

What you should consider is that the antis make no distinction between angling & other "cruel" sports.To them we are all equally as cruel so the distinction you draw as justification that we should stay at arms length from the CA is a false one.

I hold no candle for fox hunting but it doesn't take too much of a leap of imagination to see ourselves in a similar positon as minority pursuit of which the majority of the population are ignorant but of whom a tiny but vocal & committed miniority consider cruel. That minority use persuasive anthropomorphic publicity to convince the majority of their views or at least that they should be indifferent to our plight. Bang - its all over.

I am sure those who fox hunt share the same passion for it as I do for fishing & cannot quite believe that it will soon be illegal. We cannot be complacent & need all the friends we can get in my view.

Monk,

I dont agree with your class based explanation of why angling has never had any strong central bodies.The Trade Unions came from the working classes after all.

M

MaNick

Sad thing is, peter, that many of us enjoy the coutryside, like living within it, or at least VERY close to it.
I myself,go to the riding yard every day, i go out with my girlfriend on her horse at least three times a week,so have a fair handle on countryside activity... i believe.

MANY people who would like to preserve much of the countryside activity that the CA supports, cannot because of a deep opinion against certain things.

I understand your statement.

P

Nick, I really do understand your reticence, and that of many other anglers as well.
I sincerely wish that there was an angling based organisation that was as well organised, but sadly there is none, and with all of the in fighting that exists there probably never will be.

My views towards the CA are very much like my views towards political parties, I might not (and do not) agree entirely with their entire to, but in the main they are the closest I can get to my personal beliefs, so they get my vote.

One of the great things about angling and anglers though is that whilst we may hold totally opposing points of view, if we had a day on the river together nothing other than fish and fishing would matter.

P

for: entirely with their entire to

please read:
"entirely with thier manifesto"

daft Dutch keyboard . . . ggrrrrr!

M

MaNick

"One of the great things about angling and anglers though is that whilst we may hold totally opposing points of view, if we had a day on the river together nothing other than fish and fishing would matter."

couldn't put it better myself mate!..
I visit this site every day, i dont agree with everybody on here.... but all the guys iv'e met have been top blokes, who at the end of the day wanna go fishing, forever!

;-)

T

The Monk

Nigel, Yes they did mate, but the two are greatly divided and are attributed through entirely different reasonings, the growth of trade unions was actually instigated by the middle classes, history clearly records this, peoloe were being deparately exploited and lives were being significantly shortend because of working conditions and industry types and requirments of the time. angling is a hobby, coarse angling is an hobby which again, is clear in its historic origins, came from the working classes as a means of food supplimentation.

T

The Monk

apologies for the typos, I`m at work doging the boss at the moment!

(so much for trade unions)

T

The Monk

Hes not bad actually, not very bright, whenever I drop a clanger, he gets the blame haha

T

The Monk

another good reason for having a nickname of course is I can get away with posts like the above hahahahahahaha