Are you a tackle tart?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Let's just hope Binka doesn't notice the apostrophe, mikench........or are you being controversial..perish the thought!

Anyway, when any tube is bent the outer part stretches (and theoretically becomes thinner) and the inner part compresses (and theoretically becomes thicker). The outer has further to travel if you will. On large diameter tubes being bent to fairly small radii wrinkling/ flattening of the tube can occur...
However, this doesn't mean to say this happen to a tubular fishing rod simply because firstly the rod is tapered and secondly the rod is pulled over in such a large arc, so I imagine another set of rules probably apply in the design of same. I'm not at all sure what parameters apply in this case or how rod 'designers' go about designing a new rod from scratch, but perhaps someone can put me right??

For example, how does a rod of similar length (and lets say, diameter) go from being a 1,5lb TC to a 1,75lb TC (if you use this as a basic fundamental) - what is added to the former blank to make it into the latter...ie to make it 'stiffer'??

Answers on a postcard...............................

ps I make no claims for the bit on the tube bending above as it is many years since I've given thought to such matters.........

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For example, how does a rod of similar length (and lets say, diameter) go from being a 1,5lb TC to a 1,75lb TC (if you use this as a basic fundamental) - what is added to the former blank to make it into the latter...ie to make it 'stiffer'??

High modulus carbon, kevlar wraps etc...... in'it :confused:.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
.....so a certain amount of 'guess' work involved if 'guess' is the right word??

Would love to hear from an actual rod designer....or is that you, tigger??

Interesting subject, though..

mikench

Reaction score
Me, controversial TC ,perish the thought!;) The use( or misuse even) of the apostrophe could merit a separate post!

sam vimes

Reaction score
.....so a certain amount of 'guess' work involved if 'guess' is the right word?? Interesting subject, though..

I would hope that they've got a bit beyond guess work by now. Methods of altering the action of a basic carbon tapered tube would include varying the taper (just as they did with cane rods), adjusting the wall thickness, using different grades of carbon and adding different types of overlay wraps, be they carbon or another material such as Kevlar. For whatever reason, you don't see many modern rods with Kevlar twiddly bits. I don't know whether they still use it, but not shout about it, or if it's an obsolete thing.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
.....so a certain amount of 'guess' work involved if 'guess' is the right word??

Would love to hear from an actual rod designer....or is that you, tigger??

Interesting subject, though..

ME! I'm no rod designer Tee-Cee but lets face it it can't be hard to design a fishing rod if you have the money to fund the equipment, tools and materials etc.
Have you seen the testing machines Hrdy and I think other manufacturers use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGJRnYPrkdk

I'd use this tester ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YGCocapf3Q

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
She's all yours mate, I've had enough angry females to last me three lifetimes! :eek: ;) :D

Once i'd bent her round like she did with that rod she'd her anger would have been quelled ;).

Philip

Reaction score

I am sure someone will know allot better than me but in very silly basic terms I think the way they do it is they first need to create a sort of Carbon cloth, they can influence the relative stiffness of this cloth by how they position the fibres...the thicker the fibres they stick in one place the stiffer that bit of the cloth will be. The higher the modules the more Carbon there is and less space between the fibres. They then take the cloth, roll it and bake it. So they can influence the stiffness and strength by using stiffer or less stiff cloth and also by laying more cloth in certain areas when they roll it.

After they can then also add the things like external weaves and whatever that someone else mentioned.

Anyway thats my mega basic understanding but I am no expert. I would be interested as well if we have anyone with a really good grip of the subject to to explain it properly.

flightliner

Reaction score
Try shooting a jet of expanding foam down the hollow blanks, it just might give you the 4oz your after-- an old rod could be used as a test piece--- it may just work?.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Anyway thats my mega basic understanding but I am no expert. I would be interested as well if we have anyone with a really good grip of the subject to to explain it properly.

I suspect that this bloke has a fair idea.;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyULW6clEjY

This probably doesn't add much, but it does show a few extra aspects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW-1tDY6jfo

This fleshes out the expense aspect of higher quality carbon cloth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfSMffPoQU0

mikench

Reaction score
Thank g** its for carp as I will neither need nor want one! It is only a matter of time before your Acolyte plus is superseded by a rod with graphene content that is produced at half the weight and 3 times the strength! Tips breaking for whatever reason will be a thing of the past! Yours Isaac Asimov !:w

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thank g** its for carp as I will neither need nor want one! It is only a matter of time before your Acolyte plus is superseded by a rod with graphene content that is produced at half the weight and 3 times the strength! Tips breaking for whatever reason will be a thing of the past! Yours Isaac Asimov !:w

I think it'll be a while before any rod has anything more than a very minor graphene content. The cost of the stuff is astronomical. The time will probably come, but not just yet.