Artificial baits

B

Big Rik

goes into the teeth, they can't crush it, they spit it out.

It's a perceived problem, not real.

If you're not happy, then don't use them, or if you're a law happy bailiff, ban them.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

So what you are saying then is they blow non food items out on instinct?
Your'e right Rik, I'll ban them just to be on the safe side.

B

BLAM

Cyprinids don't have (acid containing) stomachs in the mammalian sense but possess an enlarged intestine instead. This means that everything has to be broken down before it leaves the buccal cavity. The "grinding mill" action of several pairs of pharyngeal teeth ensures that all food entering the gut is suitably fragmented for further digestion and everything else is expelled -through the gill plates or back out of the mouth.

Thus fish routinely can sift all manner of "dangerous" objects, man-made or otherwise without coming to any harm. Watch the Korda underwater series to see just how good they are at it.

C

christian tyroll

This is probably a silly question but why would you need to use fake luncheon meat anyway, what advantages does it have?

B

Thanks Blam, I didn't relise that. The ban is now lifted.

So as Christian asks, what are the advantages appart from casting it further, staying on the hook better, and floating, if that is an advantage?

S

Spoddy Dave

This luncheon meat is very buoyant. It is also soft, yet tough enough to stay on the hook or hair even when a firm cast has been made and to resist the attentions of crayfish.

When its been soaked in flavour for a while it goes a little softer,
really can't see a carp telling the difference by feel alone.

Perhaps the carp knows its fake but just wants to get caught,(it had no intention of swallowing it,even though its hungry)

just to have its photo taken.

B

Eeeerrr, Iv'e put the ban back on.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Fish eat anything; fag ends, leaves, paper, whatever arouses their curiosity and could be food. They even eat tampons and condoms in the sea - and around those lakes where ruffe slappers co-habit. The Monk will vouch for that.

S

Spoddy Dave

I used to have that problem Baz,couldn't make a decision and stick to it.

I can now though.

or can i.

well i think i can.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Christian. Fake baits are usefull when there are a lot of small fish that will eventually eat or pull the bait of the hook.

Can be used with real baits to counter balance the weight of the hook. I do this when tench fishing with casters.

With the smaller baits like casters and grubs these can save a lot of time rebaiting.

Hope this helps

C

christian tyroll

cheers Bryan, i can see the uses with casters, maggots etc, but i just thought that a nice cube of luncheon meat was big enough to resist smaller fish! but if theres crayfish about i can see it might help, althougth ive never seen one of the things, i here alot about them! and soaking it in flavours, which i guess if you did to the real thing it would fall apart quite quickly!
thanks
christian

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Christian, thye are coming your way mark my words!

K

Kevan Farmer

So how many pike or chub (or trout for that matter) have eaten and swallowed plugs, spinners or spoons? These are also artificials and they do not get swallowed..do they?

I think that the great majority of artificial baits are of a size whereby they pose no problem if ingested and have to work their way through the fishes body. The baits such as artificial luncheon meat could be used in up to matchbox sized, yes. But would a fish actually swallow a real piece of luncheon meat at that size? It would be crushed up by the pharyngeal teeth in the throat. The artificial wouldn't be crushed so it would be ejected.

S

Spoddy Dave

It would be crushed up by the pharyngeal teeth in the throat. The artificial wouldn't be crushed so it would be ejected.

Good point Kevan.

FLUKE

Reaction score
There are plenty of options to stop luncheon meat coming off the hair and to either harden or make it boutant. Cant see the point of fake luncheon meat myself?

S

Spoddy Dave

"Cant see the point of fake luncheon meat myself?"

You don't have a crayfish problem in your local fisheries then Fluke?