Bait advice

E

EC

I fish a 40 acre+ stillwater with 2 rods for bream and tench, but this season I am going to fish my second rod for carp, although the water is far from prolific it is fished fairly regularly. I am wondering should I stick to supermarket specials or invest in a base mix? And if so which one is the best value? I wont be doing long sessions or visiting the water more than once/twice a week.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Have you thought about a single hook bait cast out on its own?. Highly flavoured pop-up re-cast every couple of hours to any features you can find. It's surprising how many takes can be had with this method,

C

Carp Angler

Popped up maize or frozen Activ-8's catches everywhere I fish, prebaited or not.

E

EC

Cheers lads, I will probably go for the active, 8 shall I buy ready mades or get a base mix bearing in mind I will be doing most of my fishing on this water? Also does maize attract tench and bream?

D

David Will

You will catch Bream and Tench on maize but not as many as on Active8 :)

S

Steve Clements

Tiger nuts? They are good, easy to prepare/jazz up and more or less carp only.
Dead cheap. Woohoo!

E

EC

Is 3 minutes the fastest response ever on FM I wonder.....cheers Steve!

S

Steve Clements

Just browsing maaaaan. Is this faster?You're welcome.

C

Carp Angler

If you mean base mixes from bait companies, then I don't think any of them offer value for money.

If you want value, then make your own base mix.
If you want a mix from a reputable company that will probably catch fish, then most of Solars mixes seem to catch, as do most of Mainlines.

J

Jon Read

the best base mx by far has to be nutrabaits TRIGGA everywhere i have used this mix i have cought!