Bait Choice

A

alan whittington

Mark,i believe your recipe has been swallowed up on the barbel section,where there are few threads now,do you use normal fishmeal or the low temperature stuff.;):wh:D

quickcedo

Reaction score
Supplier of coarse fishing baits, boilies, pellets, groundbait, mixes in North West of england near Warrington - www.aabaits.co.uk
I use the LT94 from here, also the predigested from the same place.
The recipe is as follows (sorry it's in ounces but I'm OLD)
4 oz floured Vitalin
4oz Semolina
3oz LT94
1oz predigested.

2.5oz Mashed catmeat (I use Whiskas super meat with Rabbit) to 1 large egg. This will make a thick gravy. Add 1 teaspoon of hot chiili powder and stir it up.
Add the base mix til you have a soft (ish) paste, Wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge for at least half an hour. This cooling gets rid of the stickyness.
If you intend boiling then you want a firm paste (add more base mix if required and bash it about a bit). Roll into shapes and put into boiling water for max 60 seconds.
Please be aware the paste will get stiffer as it cools, you can always add more base mix but, you can't take it out.
I find if I'm fishing paste a 2 egg mix is more than enough for a days Barbel fishing.
There is no way this could ever be made on a commercial basis because it aint nice to roll, but in small (1 or 2 kilo batches it's fine)
Do not be tempted to add any oil, I've tried and it won't take it.
This bait has served me well catching many species so give it a go. On the downside (coz there has to be one) it doesn't last long out of the fridge, just a day or so in summer. But i get round this by taking the ingredients with me and making it as I go.
One last thing, I found out last year that the boilies, when ground up, make an excellent method mix.

Keith M

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I've been struggling on the barbel recently...
Loads of chub last weekend to groundbait and worm but not a whiskers in sight.

What's going to be your bait/ approach of choice over the next week with temperatures rising gradually?

I’ve been using Crab pellets wrapped in soft fishmeal paste which dissolves in the flow and leaves a nice flavour trail wafting downstream for the barbel to follow up to my Crab pellet hookbait.

It works a treat in the cooler months when I don’t want to introduce too much loosefeed.

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Supplier of coarse fishing baits, boilies, pellets, groundbait, mixes in North West of england near Warrington - www.aabaits.co.uk
I use the LT94 from here, also the predigested from the same place.
The recipe is as follows (sorry it's in ounces but I'm OLD)
4 oz floured Vitalin
4oz Semolina
3oz LT94
1oz predigested.

2.5oz Mashed catmeat (I use Whiskas super meat with Rabbit) to 1 large egg. This will make a thick gravy. Add 1 teaspoon of hot chiili powder and stir it up.
Add the base mix til you have a soft (ish) paste, Wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge for at least half an hour. This cooling gets rid of the stickyness.
If you intend boiling then you want a firm paste (add more base mix if required and bash it about a bit). Roll into shapes and put into boiling water for max 60 seconds.
Please be aware the paste will get stiffer as it cools, you can always add more base mix but, you can't take it out.
I find if I'm fishing paste a 2 egg mix is more than enough for a days Barbel fishing.
There is no way this could ever be made on a commercial basis because it aint nice to roll, but in small (1 or 2 kilo batches it's fine)
Do not be tempted to add any oil, I've tried and it won't take it.
This bait has served me well catching many species so give it a go. On the downside (coz there has to be one) it doesn't last long out of the fridge, just a day or so in summer. But i get round this by taking the ingredients with me and making it as I go.
One last thing, I found out last year that the boilies, when ground up, make an excellent method mix.

Ordered some yesterday from AA baits,and remember the method mix well.

Reaction score
Wow, lots of food (or rather bait) for thought there... cheers chaps! :)

Mark,

The catfood boilie sounds interesting.

CG,

Been struggling on the Teme mostly (loads of good chub but no barbel) and had a session on a floody Severn last Sunday and only caught bream and eels (had one biggie about 2lb plus) .

TBH I've only managed 4 or 5 sessions since New Year due to pressure of work, so it's not panic stations yet. I suspect I've been fishing the right places but the wrong times because I've been restricted to short 3-4hour afternoon sessions.

quickcedo

Reaction score
****y, I don't know where on the Teme you fish but I fish the stretch above Bransford bridge (Wards 84). This stretch has always been very good to me however the last few years it has steadily got harder. Last year I put a bit more effort in and found the fish very tightly shoaled up. To the point where unless you were in one of two swims you blanked at least for Barbel. The Chub seem more widely spread.
The Catfood paste/boilie works very well there.

Reaction score
****y, I don't know where on the Teme you fish but I fish the stretch above Bransford bridge (Wards 84). This stretch has always been very good to me however the last few years it has steadily got harder. Last year I put a bit more effort in and found the fish very tightly shoaled up. To the point where unless you were in one of two swims you blanked at least for Barbel. The Chub seem more widely spread.
The Catfood paste/boilie works very well there.

Hi Mark,

I used to fish near you on the Portabello AC (opposite the BS stretch) just downstream but they gave up the lease a year or so ago and I'm not sure what's going on with it now?

I'm based a few miles downstream these days on St.J/ W&DUAA et al waters .

TBH I've not really had time to put in the work on the Teme since Xmas, but I suspect you are right in that the barbel are shoaled up tighter.

The last two winters have been fierce after a prolonged period of mild winters and, as you say, unlike chub the barbel have reacted by sitting tight and waiting it out.

Might have a crack at the Teme tomorrow unless I get distracted by the Severn which is the usual scenario as the close season hoves into view... :rolleyes:

cg74

Reaction score
CG,

Been struggling on the Teme mostly (loads of good chub but no barbel) and had a session on a floody Severn last Sunday and only caught bream and eels (had one biggie about 2lb plus) .

TBH I've only managed 4 or 5 sessions since New Year due to pressure of work, so it's not panic stations yet. I suspect I've been fishing the right places but the wrong times because I've been restricted to short 3-4hour afternoon sessions.

****y,

My approach for the Teme in cold weather consists of a hi-oil pellet (Elips) or a 10mm fish based boilie with a chilli flavoured oily paste wrap. No or very little free offerings.
Using very light leads bounce the bait right under bushes/trees.

The paste mix either use eggs to bind for a slow break down and to speed up the breakdown speed reduce the quantity of eggs replacing with boiling water.
You can drop the eggs altogether and just use water if a fast breakdown is desired.

Severn, either try same technique as above, or the good old maggot feeder always scores well.

I always find the feeding windows in cold water tend to be late morning and/or dusk until about 4hrs into darkness, keep at it, it'll come good.:)