Baitrunner - or not?

Gareth Watkins

Reaction score
Just an aside on the bait runnerissue...

It also depends some what on the reel you use..
I have both Daiwa Emblem 5000's and Shimano Biomaster GT8000's...
The Shimano drag is in clip stops, and 4-5 clicks takes you from free runnig to vitually locked. On getting a run you can easily click a couple of stops and ease into the fish... the disadvantage of these clutches are that the have no fine adjustment so losening them often makes them too lose.. they are not in my experience very smooth either.

The Daiwa Emblem has a beautifully smmoth clutch that can be very finely tuned during the playing of the fish...IMO a joy to use. The downside is that it takes several turns of the knob to get into the fight seting after hitting a run. This I don't like for the reason Graham has said about possibly dropping fish. I use the Daiwa conversions which I find exellent.

Finally even with a bait runner of the 8010 type I strike with my hand over the face of the reel. I find even with these type of reels there is too much delay before contacting with the fish... they engage pretty quickly once the fish is on..

These are my thoughts on the reels I use.. Big Pit baitrunners are dear reels, but if you can afford them they do a very good job.

Regards
Gareth
Angling Lines

J

jason fisher

big bait runners are going for around half price at the moment, saw it in a mag last week but can't remember which.

J

jason fisher

not sure if the spare spool will be any less than the normal 45quid though.

big gus

Reaction score
Jason - you can get the shimano gte b with a spare spool for about 80quid. Their full price is around 125. Are they the ones you mean?

J

jason fisher

no mate the big bait runner long cast is about 250quid normally.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I use the shimano 10000 on my 2.75Ib Carp rods but when i started i bought a 6000 and 8000gte the spools are interchangeable as jason mentioned earlier its the spool depth that is different. Spare spools are around a tenner each. I know use these for my Barbel fishing on the Ribble.

big gus

Reaction score
So bryan would you say the new shimano 8000 gte b would do the job with my 2.75 carp rods?

Or should I go for the 10000's. Three of those would rip a hole in my pocket!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The 8000 are excellent for your carp rods when fishing upto around 70 yards as previously mentioned. I only have the 10000 because i got a good deal on them secondhand. Just type shimano reel in ebay search there are always lots on offer.