Baitrunner size?

Medders

Reaction score
I'd agree that it does depend on the waters you're fishing and the style of fishing you plan to do. Personally, I would get the 8000s 'cos you'll end up regretting it otherwise. They are bigger in size than the 6000s I assume but it also helps with distance casting as the line comes off the spool easier, adding those precious extra centimetres I guess lol!!! I upgraded from the Shimano Aero RE 5000s to the Shimano Ultegra XTB 5500 mini big pits and the difference is massive!!! Good luck!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, to be fair I'm still struggling to hit 400 yards on my cast;)

Why would you want to fish 400 yards out when most carp are within 20 yards of the bank? carp like shallow warm water, did they not tell you that at carping collage?

Beaker

Reaction score
I think it all comes down to this phrase "Balanced Tackle" I use a pair of 2lb kevlars and 5000 size baitrunners, and really enjoy using them.

waggler

Reaction score
Why would you want to fish 400 yards out when most carp are within 20 yards of the bank? carp like shallow warm water, did they not tell you that at carping collage?

I think I spent too much time at sarcasm school instead, I would certainly advise a visit for yourself though, you remind me of Borat.

waggler

Reaction score
people that start insulting others on here will soon get outed...Just a friendly warning!

No it wasn't meant to be insulting, I just wanted to reiterate the point that I was being sarcastic when I said I was struggling to hit 400 yard casts! The reason I offered the article resource was that although it referred to big pit reels directly, it outlines some of the aspects to consider when choosing a reel of any purpose, such as the venues you fish etc...
ATB

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No it wasn't meant to be insulting, I just wanted to reiterate the point that I was being sarcastic when I said I was struggling to hit 400 yard casts! The reason I offered the article resource was that although it referred to big pit reels directly, it outlines some of the aspects to consider when choosing a reel of any purpose, such as the venues you fish etc...
ATB

no offence taken...It was just the borat thing!!!

Simon K

Reaction score
I definitely DO NOT need big pit reels they are tackle tarts and surf casting!!!!

PS: The reels are sorted (XT Baitrunners of course!) and also pod and alarm's.

Who are you kidding, Mark?

Why not start the thread(s) again from scratch with no presumptions on what you think you want, rather stating what circumstances you'll be encountering and what peeps might suggest as choices?

So far, I have to say, both threads (rod & reels) have been a lot of bull.
Perhaps that's why you didn't get Wagglers (I thought, very) light "jest"? :wh

Maybe you should read his link and take thought for a moment?

As I said before, my carping is split between small rivers, canals and a very large pit (120 acres).
My rods are 2.25/2.5 and I've just upgraded my Aero 5000's (which have served me well) to the new 6000's, which have plenty of casting distance while not being out of place on the near margin of the rivers.

The carp I fish for are mostly up to mid-thirties (with a chance of 40+) and they're "wild" and very rarely caught, which means they're fighting fit and they go like stink.

Now have another ponder. ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
It's also a sad fact how so many ignore the margins for the bigger carp and feel they have to cast out of sight just for the heck of it, I wish I had a £ for every one I've caught under my nose. I remember a few years ago when my son and I were spending a lot of time on Burghfield lake for the big resident tench a certain Terry H on his bike was a regular feature in his quest for the 'Common'. As my memory serves me this involved many months as we saw him again the following year (we were back again after the tincas) and he bivvied down early one week after spotting it and caught the big fish the following weekend a few feet from the bank.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's also a sad fact how so many ignore the margins for the bigger carp and feel they have to cast out of sight just for the heck of it, I wish I had a £ for every one I've caught under my nose.

Perfectly true. However, I'm on a water now that one week you can catch them no further than a rod length or two out, the next you won't get a sniff without a big heave-ho. Ignoring any legitimate and safe opportunity to catch is plain daft. Self imposed limits and missing opportunities due to a prejudice against certain types of gear, is equally daft.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who are you kidding, Mark?

Why not start the thread(s) again from scratch with no presumptions on what you think you want, rather stating what circumstances you'll be encountering and what peeps might suggest as choices?

So far, I have to say, both threads (rod & reels) have been a lot of bull.
Perhaps that's why you didn't get Wagglers (I thought, very) light "jest"? :wh

Maybe you should read his link and take thought for a moment?

As I said before, my carping is split between small rivers, canals and a very large pit (120 acres).
My rods are 2.25/2.5 and I've just upgraded my Aero 5000's (which have served me well) to the new 6000's, which have plenty of casting distance while not being out of place on the near margin of the rivers.

The carp I fish for are mostly up to mid-thirties (with a chance of 40+) and they're "wild" and very rarely caught, which means they're fighting fit and they go like stink.

Now have another ponder. ;)

If you read my thread properly you would have known that I already have the make of reel that I want I just wanted a recommendation on spool size.
By the way I have a nice pair of Century ng rods on order so they are sorted.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Too true Sam, timing and 'local knowledge' also help.
Jerry

The water concerned not being a contrary, moody and stupidly deep enigma would also help.:eek:;):D Just when you think you may be getting to know the place it gets all mardy on you and you'd think there was nowt in there.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Perfectly true. However, I'm on a water now that one week you can catch them no further than a rod length or two out, the next you won't get a sniff without a big heave-ho. Ignoring any legitimate and safe opportunity to catch is plain daft. Self imposed limits and missing opportunities due to a prejudice against certain types of gear, is equally daft.

Sam,
what I meant to say in my threads is that I will only be fishing small waters and I have no need for great big reels, I didn't mean that I would not be fishing the middle as in 150 acre pits.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The water concerned not being a contrary, moody and stupidly deep enigma would also help.:eek:;):D Just when you think you may be getting to know the place it gets all mardy on you and you'd think there was nowt in there.

I think you'd love one of our club waters Sam. It's about 2 acres in the woods in middle of nowhere, three small islands and rarely fished because the fish are as spooky as river fish (which doesn't agree with a fair few). If the fish don't know you're there you can, from time to time, catch carp to large 30's and tench to small doubles - possibly bigger and hoping, plus the odd big slimeball. No more than two on the water at the time is the way to go.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam,
what I meant to say in my threads is that I will only be fishing small waters and I have no need for great big reels, I didn't mean that I would not be fishing the middle as in 150 acre pits.

:confused:That reads as if you could be fishing in the middle of a 150 acre pit.:confused:
Is that what you really mean? Sounds like the perfect candidate for big (or at least mini) pit reels.

I suspect that something has been lost in translation somewhere and you mean that you'll never be fishing big waters.;):p I'd still suggest that you err on the bigger side of caution. 10000 sized standard baitrunners won't look any bigger on your rods than 6000 or 8000. The weight difference is negligible. The idea of balance on a carp rod is, imo, largely immaterial. The rods will spend the bulk of their lives on rests. In hand you'll either be slinging a lump of lead or, hopefully, playing a lump. Either way, the balance of the rod/reel combination will go out of the window. You are unlikely to be holding them all day long like a stick or waggler rod on a river.