Barbel Days and Ways Vol 2

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Taking a pop at somebody then asking for info is a bit rich.

I to would like to know the river but as they do not name the water in the video. So there must be a reason and thats good enough for me

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Jon

Re: The small river in Volume Two?

Surely you will understand that as it is a very small river with a very limited stocking of barbel I'm hardly going to rush into naming it openly on the UK's busiest angling forum.

Iwould havePM'd you but that facility is disabled in your profile.

Ironically, one of the knockers who started the row on the BS site PM'd me a while back asking me NOT to name the river as it is very close to his heart.

Bit of a dilemma, eh?

Jon Bedford

Reaction score
Who's having a pop, Bryan?

Thanks for clarifying that Bob, assumed it would be named on the DVD, glad if its a small low-stocked river that its not.

Cheers

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Bob inbetween the chest puffing up, bravado, and one up manship'ness, would you be able to answerthe I question poised earlier that you have missed or ignored-

What is the 'Tiny river' refered to in the blurb for barbel days and ways vol 2?

Sounds like it to me

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Guys, settle down!

I don't think anyone is having a pop at anyone here, certainly I'm not and I don't think anyone's having a go at me, either, unless I've missed something.

You can see the river in the film. It's tiny, mostly eight or 9 metres wide and knee deep. In summer it's thick with dense streamer weed to the point of being unfishable in most places. There are only so many swims that actually hold barbel and can be fished successfully. Believe me I've spent days on end creeping up and down the banks looking for fish.

I have access to around 4 miles of river but if there were five anglers on there before me I'd probably go elsewhere, or fish for a different species, because there just aren't that many swims holding barbel.

It's easy to be fooled by the DVD into thinking that every swim on the river must be crammed full of fish. If only that were the case! Timing, feeding and damn good luck enabled us to film some of those sequences.

I'm sure in the fulness of time someone will 'out' it, perhaps someone who's carrying a big enough grudge, but I'd be doing the locals a real disservice if I named it on an open forum like this.

I'm more than happy to name rivers like the Trent or Dove, Wye, Severn, Thames, and so on because they're big enough to handle a bit more pressure. Whether I would name the exact location depends pretty much on the controlling clubs or the sentiments of those involved in the filming at the time. Caution has to be the watchword.

Surely you've seen how easy it is to upset people with the mere mention of the word barbel... /forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif

A

alan whittington

I think that i asked the question about the problems and i apologise for being so nosey bob,but having seen the dvd i cant see the problem apart from grudges being held.ALSO nobody worries about other name anglers who blag and brag their way through the angling press to make a shilling,good job they dont have hanging anymore bob or there could be linch mob/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Jon Bedford

Reaction score
Wasn't singaling out Bob, Bryan.

Apoligies if it looks like that.

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
Well having looked at the clips on you tube & the even better clips on Bobs own website i was amazed to see chub & barbel feeding together under the raft although i do not compare days & ways 1 & 2 with up close & personal or even closer the footage is absolutely brilliant.

So well done toBob Roberts, Stuart Walker, Lee Swords & Steve Pope.

I shall have to invest in a copy of both.

Regards,

William

Stu Walker

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks for your positive feedback & comments on BDW V2 they really mean allot. The feedback is essential to the success and continuation of this DVD series, ifyou like what you see let us know and if you don't that’s fine too, your comments like Graham Marsden said will make a difference to future Volumes, Bob and I really take onboard the feedback.

I have been overwhelmed over the last week by the positive comments posted privately through Bob Roberts site its just a pity not more are willing to post openly on the forums as this would sure to generate debate on what people want to see in these films.

We have worked tremendously hard on V2 to get it to a level to where weare really proud of it. It’s now our benchmark for future volumes and will be the minimum standard. A shudder goes down my spine when I think how many hours we spent editing it, ask my wife! Even the end credits are worth watching!

I love the challenge of making these DVD's, doing the underwater stuff is a real buzz, more than catching them if I am honest, I suppose its like getting that perfect photograph.Theres a underwater shot on V2 with a barbel facing upstream in a really fast current our camera just behind, with no effort it just hangs there pecs out like a streamlined jet fighter, awesome.

It doesn't always go right though eh Bob, like the time I forgot to turn the camera on when we got a hookup right in front of the camera, oops,a really hard shot to capture esp when chub are about.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank our fishing guests Lee Swords & Steve Pope for there contribution to our two films so far. These guys actually had one of the hardest Jobs, catching on demand for the camera. There is immense pressure when two cameras are constantly rolling waiting for that rod to go over, with me and Bob standing there,although Lee & Steve could catch a barbel blindfolded, it didn't stop the pressure. On the flip side they got a big high when they did the business.

We have some cracking guests lined up for future volumes (Thanks Dave), Matt Browns going to risk his life fora Barbel DVD,(nutter !)and we have some more amazing venues to feature.

Thanks

Stu

W

whiskerton

Dear Bob,Sorry for the delay in replying.Took me ages to wade through your latest offering of Tripe.I couldn't but help notice your latest bout of amnesia.R.e the banning from bfw.A quick trawl through the back archive on bfw found the TIGHT LINES THREAD ON THE 07/12/08 Thread number 15 or 16 i think.Bob has a quality rant and implores the site owner Andy Frances to remove his membership.On his final post Bob seems a little worse for wear and still manages to insert his website twice. Here is Andy's response;

"YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND, BOB.I HAVE DONE AS YOU REQUEST.i'LL ALSO DO THE HONOURABLE THING AND LOCK THE THREAD.

SORRY THAT YOU FELT WE DIDN'T DESERVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SELL THE DVD,ESPECIALLY AFTER YOU'D RECEIVED SO MUCH FREE PUBLICITY(AND SALES) AS A RESULT OF YOUR SPORADIC POSTINGS HERE.PROBABLY A GOOD THING AS IT WOULD HAVE INTERFERED WITH OUR SUBSTANTIAL SALES OF BARBEL EVEN CLOSER.

BEST OF LUCK

ANDY F.

looks like an invitation to go forth and multiply to me.

W

whiskerton

I didn't bother to ask permission to use the quote,I'm sure Andy won't mind.And after all,it doesn't seem to be the done thing any more.

In all seriousness Bob,Good luck with the speech,and the dvd.I hold no Truck with you as a Film maker or as an angler.I just think that sometimes you let yourself down as a human being.

regards

mike

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
OK, you've got that personal issue off your chest, now perhaps we can get back to discussing the DVDs.

What did you think of them?

W

whiskerton

Morning Graham,I do hope you will be posting the same request after Bobs next diatribe? Preffered Catching the impossible and even closer myself,but there's no accounting for taste.However i can appreciate the hard work and investment that has gone into them.good luck with vol 3.

While your here,could you please tell me why Tony rocca has been excluded from fishing Magic.I always found his comments worthwile and often humouros,seems a shame he is no longer here.

regards

mike

DogChub

Reaction score
Yeah, whats happened to Tony Rocca........why the alleged ban?

It must be something serious to be banned from a fishing forum of all places!!

I must have missed something.......anyway, imo heshould be allowed back because this site isjust not the same without old Tony Rocca fighting his corner!!

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
Graham, surely Tony Rocca cannot have done something to serious for a ban?

I can assure you Tony is a great guy someone who i can have great laugh with although i do not know him personally we have had a great laugh and time back on BFW.

imho you must have got the wrong ideas about him?

John Bunyan

Reaction score
if the editor wants to ban anybody he can especially multiname spoilers

all i can remember mr Rocca doing was one lined snidey comments which were of no real use to anyone.

Deanos

Reaction score
William, this is not a criticism, but you have not been a member of the site for long. The people who have received a ban have for the most a "history" on the site.

We used to have bets on how long it would take Tony to reply to Bob Roberts posts, it was usually seconds, night or day. The comments were not always "constructive".

I have also had email conversations with Tony, he has always been a gentleman, but some people bring out the worst in others I guess.

Graham has been very fare to all the people who have received a ban...they were all long term members, but at the end of the day, he is the "Boss" and has received almost unanimous support for his decisions.