Barbel in the Frozen North

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Just waiting for the massive influx of salt into the rivers after this latest arctic weather. Thousands of tonnes of salt washed into the rivers in just a few days, we'll not need to use arsenic to kill the fishing.

S

Sean Meeghan

Sorry about the delay replying to this - been a bit busy at work! Thanks for all the comments. Replies to some of them below.

I haven't had a barbel on the maggot feeder if I'm fishing it at the top of the swim with the pellet at the bottom. I don't really know why this is and it may well just be that the chub feed more aggressively in the cold water.

I agree with Eric that it may well be worth fishing just one rod in these conditions. I fish the chub rod to give me some action (and maybe a big chub!) as I've not got a lot of patience. If I was fishing just one rod I'd fish a maggot feeder.

No Mick isn't related to Ron Beecroft.

It's sad that I'm not going to have the chance to give it another go for a few weeks. The banks of the Swale are too dangerous in these conditions and, as John says, the amount of salt going into the rivers when we get a thaw will kill it for a week.

Reaction score
Nice article again Sean, i am sure there is something in the light theory, they seem to use itin preperation forspawning, so can't see this being any different.

Kev