Barbel

S

Stewart Bloor

Obviously, with the F&M situation, there is still uncertainty, but I still can't help thinking about June 16 and the start of the river season, which for me will mean one thing - Barbel.
I've had barbel from the Dove, Severn and the Teme. Just wondered how many rivers FM members have caught from?

R

Rob Brownfield

The Lea...and thats it :(

I will be trying to get one from the Clyde near Glasgow this year though....That should be interesting!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
14 rivers, if I've remembered them all, and I don't think I have.

J

John Tait

Just the three, Stewart - Dove, Severn, and Swale (many years ago, when I was living in Thirsk).

Jonty

T

terry simms

Hants Avon & Dorset Stour. fishing very well up until foot & mouth.

B

Bob Gill

Just two - Kennet and Bristol Avon (my local).Latter was just coming good up to F&M.

S

Stewart Bloor

I actually suspected as much, that most barbel anglers have had fish from a small number of rivers. I have had large numbers from the Severn and Teme and only fished the Dove for the first time last year. I'm not into having rivers that I have caught barbel from, just for the sake of it, but I would like to add a few more rivers to the tally.
Rob, I read about a year ago, the Clyde produced a 14. So happy barbelling....

P

Paul Williams

Sedge, it's nice to visit new rivers especially with a friend who is local to the venue but when you sit and take stock of the barbel fishing available in the Midlands it is mind blowing.
Mind you it is possible to blank on all of them to.....snigger :eek:)

S

Stewart Bloor

Oi Brummie, if you're not careful, I'll take advantage of the new facility and report you to the moderator....

R

Rob Brownfield

Stewart...a fourteen???..Not heard that one. a couple of low doubles maybe...but a 114...wow! I must look into that one.
They are still as rear as rocking horse poo though!

R

Ron Clay

Swale, Nidd, Yorks Ouse, Ure, Severn, Hants Avon, Dorset Stour, Teme, Trent, Yorks Don, Yorks Rother, Warks Avon and Windrush. That makes 13.

But I'm no barbel expert.

B

Birds Nest

none, ever.... But that will change as soon as the Foot and Mouth sorts itself out..

D

Daniel Whitelock

never landed one yet but only really one barbel river round here that being great ouse i'm gonna keep at it foot and mouth depending though, lost one or two nice fish just makes me more keen though.
by the way on the subject of barbel is there going to be a fish in this year like atcham last year??? if anyone is interested i can talk to my club and i'm sure they'll let me book us a stretch on the great ouse if i do it in advance cheers Daniel

D

Davy North

The Tees has some but hard to locate. There has been something of an explosion on the Wear, but my best bet is still the Swale.

L

Les Foxen

started barbel fishing in ernest last season with a couple of friends,didn,t do to bad,winkled out an 8,9.7 and a 10.7.which made me very happy as they didn,t come from adam,s mill or kickle,s,but another stretch of the ouse.my friends joe and ian also caught,joe,s first at 10.8 thats astory on its own.and ian had at least 8 up to 11.8.role on the new season if f.m allows it to start on time,tight lines everyone

K

Keith Finn

Just the three rivers,
The Welsh Dee, The river severn and the Dove.
Have to admit though have not had one above 8lbs yet!!.
I still live in hope.
Keith

N

Nigel Dalton

Just two - the Trent and the Swale. Much better on the Swale, at least I managed to land them. I found some monsters on the Trent that refused to play properly. Anybody know the Trent record for Barbel?

D

Dave Johnson

The Dove, Severn, Trent, Sow (shush) B Avon.....
though the Dove remains my passion at the moment. Had three fish to 9lb plus (2 on the float and pin) and WILL do a double off the Dove this year

A

Andy Thatcher

Lea, Wensum, Ouse, Avon, Stour, Wye, Severn, Trent, Windrush, Thames. Lost one from the Suffolk Stour at the net. Does the Rhine, Rhone, Fulda or Neckar count ?

S

Steven Gillham

the river wear in durham and the river swale.my best barbel last year was 9lb from the river wear but iv'e seen 12lb barbel caught.