BBC's Coverage of Angling

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
It would appear Martin James is the lone voice then at BBC Radio Lancashire. Does anyone else know of a local BBC radio station that has its own 1/2 hour angling programme? If the BBC will support Martin why not someone else? Is this not something to take up with Martin Salter the so called Angling Minister? The danger I suppose that if the beeb nationally gave angling a half hour then being PC they'd probably give those prats from PETA equal air time and a platform to expound their vitriol.

Waveney One

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone that contributed to the thread. 29 posts up to 6 pm this evening and apart from the earliest reply all are pro fishing.

Thanks again.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Chris (good name Bishop!) have left a message on their web site, advising them that they are advocating the illegal taking and killing of coarse fish for the table. Have suggested that if its OK to kill coarse fish they might consider a recipe for roasted Swan in the future, Bird flu free of course.

honslow

Reaction score
Sorry to beat the drum, but it's not illegal to take coarse fish. Hence the proposed changes to current legislation. Thanks for the BBC link - should make for an interesting news story!

F

Fred Bonney

Peter,I don't know if you've fished in Ireland,but I was constantly pestered by the local kids 'any perch mister'. So, I think eating freshwater fish is still common there. And, the chef's are from Belfast!
Book arrived this morning,started smiling from the off, and burst into laughter at your experience on the canal!
Chapter 5 here I come.

C

Chris Bishop

Err, BBC in roach recipe rumpus..?

License payers are forking out for TV chefs to cook up coarse fish.
And BBC bosses last night admitted inventing a fictional fish to sex up a recipe.
The scandal comes just days after Coronation Street's Les Battersby's admission he likes eating bream.
One recipe on the Beeb's website suggests using roach, perch or pike to make fishcakes.
Another uses fillets of "walleyed pike", despite the fact no such fish exists.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Considering theat the BBC "Nannies" deleted one of AWT's recipes because it was 'overly fattening' for children, I think the least they can do now is to remove the coarse fish recipes.

That said, I did eat Quenelle of Pike last night in the restaurant here in Paris ;-)

C

Chris Bishop

But it wouldn't have been walleyed pike because there's no such thing.

Someone's made a fish up for a recipe which doesn't exist and they've gotten away with it.

Hang on a minute though. Foodies are real anoraks these days aren't they.

They're empowered consumers. They know what they want.

So you'd think had anyone actually been laughed out of the fishmongers...

"walleyed pike... cor, stop it missus... me sides are aching and I'll need to change me budgie smugglers if I hear that one again...

... they'd complain to the Beeb.

Dear Director General,
I do not pay my licence fee and access your website to be made to look a total lemon. Walleyed pike..? There's no such thing and it evidently does not require David Attenborough to ascertain said fact.
Mrs A N Gry, Little Felching, Bucks

... who would then remove said recipe from its website to avoid causing further upset.

So, do we deduce from this that no-one actually reads these things anyway..? Or is it a deliberate mistake to test the mettle of the BBC sub editing department..?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris,

Here is the gist of the actual story from Tuesday, February 7th 2006:

"The recipe is called Snickers Pie, and is meant as a sweet treat for children. Just one slice of Snickers Pie contains 1,250 calories.

Now the funny old thing was that Anthony's recipe was happily residing for a while on the BBC website (indeed he actually made the pie on TV two years ago), that is until some interfering busybodies from the Food Commission found it and complained about its calorie content.

They labelled it the most unhealthy pudding ever."

What a sad bunch of real "anoraks!"

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way, you may be wondering what the "forbidden" recipe is, here it is, but be warned you will gain 10 pounds just by reading it:

Ingredients

-1 packet puff pastry
-140g/5oz mascarpone
-110g/4oz soft cheese
-50g/2oz caster sugar
-3 eggs
-5 Snickers bars, chopped

Method

Preheat oven to 200C/400/Gas 6

Roll pastry to 3-4mm thick and use to line a 20cm/8in fluted tart tin

Beat the mascarpone, soft cheese and sugar together in a large bowl, until smooth

Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add the Snickers bars and fold in

Pour into lined tart tin, and spread to the edges

Place in the oven for 10 minutes, then lower to 180C/350/Gas 4 for a further 25 minutes until golden and set

Allow to cool before serving

Now, to my mind this is no worse than a decent "Eton Mess" if made properly ;-)

C

Chris Bishop

Scooby Dooby Doo, where are you
We've got some work to do now
Fictional kinds of fish, on a dish
Have turned up on a website.....

der, de der de derr derr derrderr

"Whoo hoo, whine, ooby dooby Doo... Gerlug, glug, glug..."

A scared looking Scooby wearing a snorkel mask, with a waterproof camera strapped to his back, is lowered into the depths of the River Ouse, as dusk falls over the Fens.

Up on the floodbank, in the Mystery Machine, the gang are watching footage captured by the cameras on a TV screen, as they pop a few tins and eat the remains of a chicken vindaloo.

"Uh, hey guys," says Shaggy. "Like, do you think ole Scoob's gonna be all right down there..?"

"Button it hippy," snarls Thelma. "If you don't like it, you can do the amphibious bit.

"This gig's worth a mint if we can pull it off, the BBC are desperate to find one of these walleye pike and prove they're for real, so lay off the whacky baccy."

Scooby has by now swam several hundred yards downstream, aided by the current.

He hasn't noticed the small, mushroom-shaped shelter on the bank, or the array of rods fanned out on the banks.

In the gloom, he doesn't see the 12lbs Maxima stretching across the river and snags it with his camera.

Clack, weee-eee-eee-eee-eee-eeeh

"Happy days are here again, it's haulin' time for Disco Dave," sings the lithe figure which bursts from the bivvy and bounds gracefully down the bank.

As he feels the line and slams the rod back, a 3oz lead and a small bleak impaled on a pair of hand-made double hooks fly through the water and impale themselves in a furry backside.

"Come on then, come to Uncle Disco," smiles the angler, bending in until the line sings in the breeze.

"OOOBY DOOBY EE-YEEEEEEEEOW....."

A yelp of pain and the screen goes blank in Mission Control.

"Oh no," sobs Shaggy. "It got him."

"Don't be stupid hippy," snaps Thelma. "He's probably just swum into the bank or something, haul your butt out there and go look for him."

Hundreds of yards away, Scooby Doo struggles to fight the burning sensation in his backside, which seems to be dragging him inexorably towards the bank.

"Oh my beauty, oh my beauty, come to Disco," says the angler as he reaches for the landing net.

The water boils in the glow of a head torch. But instead of the expected double figure zed, a large dog's backside appears, followed by the front end of an extremely angry dog.

"Blimey Lads, I'm out of here - it's Black Shuck...!"

Running down the floodbank, the angler runs straight into Shaggy, who is combing the riverbank for any sign of his four legged pal.

"Er, don't I know you from somehere..?" he says, as they dust themselves off.

"Blimey, you're the bloke off Scooby Doo."

"Uh, yeah man, we're, like uh, hunting the walleyed pike to prove they exist for, like, the BBC.

"We'll, uh, get to come back for a new series if we can pull it off.

"Our dog's in there somewhere with a camera strapped to his back but we, uh, think it's just, like, eaten him."

"Jeepers, fella, I thought he was Black Shuck."

"Uh, negative man, he's kinda yellow coloured."

"Trust a seasoned zed head mate, there's no such thing as a walleyed pike. But I wouldn't go near your dog for an hour or two all the same."

"Uh, why not, uh, man..?"

"Mate, I just stuck two size eights in his arse and he ain't too pleased at present."

F

Fred Bonney

Well Chris ,this new job of yours,didn't take long,the whitecoated men and the ambulance, are on their way.
dedadeda deda