Best hat I ever owned.

nhs service

Reaction score
There is something deeply satisfying about being out and about at this time of year. People may question the sanity of it but a frosty morning has a kind of beauty to it. Even better is the late start involving a slap up breakfast at a caff beforehand. Better than vegging out in front of the telly again, not that there is anything wrong with that per se.
The enthusiasm killer is of course the cold and rain. As the old saying goes I shall be glad when I've had enough of this!
Anything that keeps me toasty and fishing is a blessing, each to their own but I find word of mouth to be the best guide.
All the best.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Not been out fishing yet when frosty , have when its been cold but only on my local commercial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I always like a wide brimmed hat, cannot be bothered always to take a brolly or put it up. A wide brim makes sure the rain does not go down my neck, the wider the better. For warmth I have a thin thermal type woolly thing which sits under it when need be, a scarf I like as well, doesn't really do a lot, keeps the wind of your neck a bit but it sort of makes you feel warmer anyway..

seth49

Reaction score
Nearly always wear a hat, my fishing hat is one of the Barbour felt ones good wide brim which keeps most of the rain of my glasses and hearing aids, when out for a walk I like a flat cap, Yorkshire trading company do a moleskin one for a tenner these are very good.

If I do any night fishing the aldi ones with the led lights on the peak are handy,leave your hands free.

nhs service

Reaction score
I have a head lamp somewhere. Can't remember where I got it from. Boot sale probably. It has a switch for dual lights.
Works ok, the white light leds I get, but I can't for the life of me work out what the orangey red ones are for. Signalling to ships at sea?

seth49

Reaction score
The red light is so you don't spoil your night vision which takes time to build up,so you can still see a bit when you switch it off.

nhs service

Reaction score
Thank you sir. Mystery solved. I'm of the old school of torch and faffing.
I haven't used it for night fishing yet.it was an impulse buy and I'm not sure I will. As I say I'm old school and therefore wary of shining lights across the water. I'm drawn to those small roiund battery powered spotlights sold by Poundland, as they are adhesive and can be stuck to the underside of a tackle box lid or the side of a bait box. Illumination when required without being a lighthouse.
All the best.