Best Match/Pleasure reel for £50, also for £100

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers

Do they do versions with shallow "match" type spools do you know? cant be doing with winding on 100's of yards of old mono and trying to guess when there's room for 100 metres of 3lb/4lb/6lb left to go.

I think they come with both but you'll have to check to make sure. Most half decent tackle shops stock them so it might be worth you having a trip to one and check them out...they are very good reels!

sam vimes

Reaction score
In the £50-100 price bracket, the only choice I'd make would be the Shimano Super GT RD. It's got the much greater diameter spools of some of the more recent high price additions to the Shimano range. As a result, it also comes with spool reducers.

Sadly, even with the spool reducers, it'll still take more than 100 yards of the lighter breaking strain monos. For your information, the Exage RC model with shallow(er) spools is the 3000. The Stradic GTM RC models with shallow(er) spools are the 3000 and 4000. However, line capacities of all of them are greater than the Super GT RD with reducers fitted.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Shimano Technium 3000SFD, 2 shallow spools and you can pick them up new for £85

tonybull

Reaction score
I'd welcome some more input on this thread on reels, not WD40 :p

I'm also looking for a new float fishing reel for around £50. Should be light, prefer a shallow spool, not too fussed on front or rear drag (but slight pref for front) and should include at least one extra spool.

I did have my eye on the Drennan FD3000 but it doesn't seem to be getting ringing endorsements.

I've got 3 of the FD3000 and 1 FD4000 and prefer the FD3000 for all my match fishing on commercials, feeder fishing and float work, good reels for the money, not let me down and they get to see plenty of action.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Go with tigger and get a stradic.

You probably won't get an original Japanese one in excellent condition for much less than 75 but it'll be worth it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Go with tigger and get a stradic.

You probably won't get an original Japanese one in excellent condition for much less than 75 but it'll be worth it.

If someone is willing to pay for me to get a shiny new Stradic Ci4+ 4000 RA, I'll cheerfully give them two original Japanese Stradic GTMs in exchange. One is a 3000 the other a 4000. Two spools with one of them, three with the other.

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
I've got 3 of the FD3000 and 1 FD4000 and prefer the FD3000 for all my match fishing on commercials, feeder fishing and float work, good reels for the money, not let me down and they get to see plenty of action.
Cool.

What do you use the FD4000 for most?

tonybull

Reaction score
Cool.

What do you use the FD4000 for most?

Unless I'm chucking a feeder further than 35 yards for Bream fishing its seldom I use it to be honest mate.

I use the FD3000 for more a less everything and have 8lb line loaded on a couple of spools for bagging up on commercials when chucking against islands.

I also have 2.5lb line loaded for waggler work in the winter and 4lb line for feeder work in the winter and some 6lb line for open water in the summer.