BIG roach.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Bigroach-300x203.jpg

What weight do you reckon? It's 16-17" long.

Last edited:

Molehill

Reaction score
I wouldn't hazard a guess from the photo, but it does have that "big" look about it.
Was it caught or found dead, lake or river? I'm not expecting you to divulge the swim it came from:eek: but as a long time inhabitant of mid Wales, did it come from that part of the country?

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
No decomposition at all, Mark, it was either on its very last legs or actually dead. No secrets either, but I'd like a few more comments before giving the details. Thanks :)

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
There's a curious lack of interest in this giant roach... I wonder why that should be. Come on....how about a few more estimates?

thecrow

Reaction score
I have never seen a Roach with that sort of depth compared to its body length and would say it died or was dying from some sort of disease, as for weight difficult to say as the breadth of the fish is not visible and that is where lots of fish carry their weight.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Very difficult from a pic - the largest pic I have of a roach on the ground is 2.14 and this one is significantly deeper - hard to judge the length in relation to mine but will throw in a 3.8 guesstimate................

flightliner

Reaction score
I,m sort of with Barbelboy on this one but it's the length that confusing me somewhat, SO, I'll up it a bit and say 3-12?.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Looking at my ruler and imagining 17ins' its colossal for a roach so I am going for 4lb 5oz. Must have been found just noticed the rod is just an unmade un-joined bit like someone came along after packing up fishing and came across it.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Is it a true roach? The mouth looks wrong to me? The shape is more like a Rudd but the colouration looks ok?
Might it be a continental roach, possibly 5lb+?

B

binka

I can't help thinking there's a twist to this somewhere along the line.

The fish doesn't look right at all to me, a bit flakey around the scales like some of those frozen coarse deadbaits occasionally go.

Philip

Reaction score
Leaving aside the question of Hybrids, Ray Clarkes record I belive was 17.5 inches to tail fork...perhaps Ray is about to confirm that...

Assuming it was measured correctly, a Roach of 16-17 inches to tail fork -not to tail tip- should be a 3 pound fish. As this fish is very fat it should easily be a 3lb fish.

However !

I know you said no decomposition but my initial reacation on seeing the photo was that this was a fish that was already dead and had started to take on water so bloating it.

I have a feeling it may weigh less than it looks.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I have to say as well that for some reason the photo looks vagely familier.

I am probably wrong but I am sure I saw a very similar photo somewhere in the past.

Is this a recent photo Cliff ?

flightliner

Reaction score
I thought it was a dead one when I first saw it.
It,s been knocked about a bit and its eyes are looking dead centre.
A live one on a photo is usually looking downwards unless it's on its last legs and about to croak.