BIG TENCH Challenge 2016....

tom_moran

Reaction score
Cheers Peter, I caught it on a method feeder. Bait was a big mixture, toffee 4mm pellets, krill 6mm pellets, the source 4mm pellets, hinders 2mm little gems, broken up betalin amd blackcurrant boilies, casters, whizzed up sweetcorn and frenzied hempseed match black groundbait. On the hair I used a bright orange tutti fruiti dumbell

Edit.... And peas too!

Last edited:

tom_moran

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I had a very old float my grandad gave me out aswell fishing worms over a bed of casters which didn't produce today.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not going to set the thread alight but it’s a start – a brace to 6lb 6oz (write up in the ‘How did you get on’ thread).
tinca%206.6%20mar31%2016_zpsfk0ynm4k.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Catching a decent tinca is going to prove even harder than catching a big Stripey. Tried a venue new to me yesterday, Reeds lake part of the Stour Valley complex near Chilham in Kent. A stunningly beautiful day in marked contrast to today's heavy rain. The day started with an 8lb Mirror followed by a beautifully conditioned 12lb Common. After a lull I got pestered by skimmers until the most violent tug of the tip produced the only tench of the day coming in at 2lb 2oz.

Like Toms, caught on method feeder with a pop up fake piece of corn for hook bait

DDB5709A-9EFD-49F7-A3A1-6F20AE388248.jpg

tom_moran

Reaction score
Nice looking fish, my last three attempts have been total blanks.

tom_moran

Reaction score
I've tried a few approaches on the water I've chosen for the year so far and none have produced even though I've seen fish. All of what I've done so far has been a softly softly approach however. Next week I'm going to get there at about three, pick a swim that I know the tench patrol on the bottom of the shelf and bombard it with a lot of groundbait. Hopefully this should draw in and hold the fish.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've tried a few approaches on the water I've chosen for the year so far and none have produced even though I've seen fish. All of what I've done so far has been a softly softly approach however. Next week I'm going to get there at about three, pick a swim that I know the tench patrol on the bottom of the shelf and bombard it with a lot of groundbait. Hopefully this should draw in and hold the fish.

Looking forward already to your report, hopefully a positive one.:)

tom_moran

Reaction score
I really hope so, 4 blanks in a row will be hard to swallow

sampras43

Reaction score
Just starting to get into the Tinca's as an adult, caught a few as a kid years ago though.

Sorry, no photo's but had a couple this week at Bury Hill, Surrey, biggest just over 4lb on the float. Single red maggot at dead depth, very sensitive float. Had a number of crucian's on the same rig. Occasionally switched to small hookable pellet but had the most success on the maggot. I was going after Crucian's first, tinca 2nd.

tom_moran

Reaction score
Quick bit of advice please guys on groundbait. I've got black amino or poloni as my choice for Wednesday, the poloni smells amazing but I'm not a fish.... What would you choose? I've got pellet and casters and maggots and corn to go in with it. Or mix both together? Just can't make my mind up and it's killing me

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I am right Tom that you said you were going to fill in the swim next time ??

Have you tried to rake the swim ??? rather than filling it in ?

tom_moran

Reaction score
I have ray, and am building a rake at work currently but it's not ready yet. I've found a swim which is a big bed of gravel on the edge of a lilly bed that I'm going to fish next. After that I should have a rake

rubio

Reaction score
Personally I would be holding back on heavy baiting just yet but then again my best this year was barely over the pound.
I usually have a trip or two to a commie during close season and I have had much bigger there in the past. Still careful with amount of bait tho cos it could easily become all carp.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have ray, and am building a rake at work currently but it's not ready yet. I've found a swim which is a big bed of gravel on the edge of a lilly bed that I'm going to fish next. After that I should have a rake

Tom,

I made my rake in a few minutes.

I bought two cheap rake heads, put them back to back and fixed them with some heavy duty cable ties, job done.

Made it many years ago, how you fix the rope is up to you.

I also tied a knot every 18 inches along the rope, this helps when pulling the rake back.

I found that you have to make sure the tips to the rake are not to long, if they are, they can catch on to all sorts that may be on the lake bed. Then you have the problem of getting it back.

tom_moran

Reaction score
Better than my efforts today. Just got home, beautiful evening in the sunshine, not a fish to show. My mate was with me, 5 rods 4 different methods not a bite. 4 blanks, got to be honest it's hard to swallow. I know the methods I've tried are good and I know there's fish in there. Still always next time.....

greenie62

Reaction score
At long last the Tincas have started to wake up around here - had a crack at the Club water that did well for me last year - very slow going - last week I was plagued by Bream 2-4lb and only 1 Tench 4lb2oz - a 'last cast of the day' special that went like an express train - falling to a legered worm in the margins.
Thought that the outbreak of a bit of summer :eek: might get them going this evening :rolleyes: - Unfortunately temperatures plummeted at teatime leaving this evening quite nippy! A mate who'd fished there all day hadn't had a fish in 9hrs - not even a bite!
Part of the plan worked - not a bite on sweetcorn - but the ledgered worm in the margins came good - quite a boisterous 6lb3oz Tinca!
I know there are bigger Tench in there - I had 2 bigger last year!
Guess I've just got to keep on trying!