Boat V Rod & Line

• Thread starter Baz (Angel of the North)
  • Start date

Carpless

Reaction score
When I say presentation I mean how the rig sits on the bottom. Ok, its going to sits better when its been gently dropped from a boat than when its hitting the water at high velocity from a long cast, but you still need to get them right. If I owned a boat I would hope that I'd be independent enough to cast to my desired spot if it were possible, as that is a skill. But if there's a place that only a bait boat can reach where the fish are feeding, i wouldn't refrain from using one just for the sake of the skill in casting. Using line clips to get your distance right is common practice but is that considered 'cheating'?

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

No it isn't cheating Carpless.

But as you say, "But if there's a place that only a bait boat can reach where the fish are feeding".

And that is my point mate. If fish are out of range from rod and line, and only reachable by bait boat which a lot are, I think that is where different catergories should come into it.

F

Frothey

swim it out. you can dive down and place it, bury the mainline and make sure the presentation is spot on.

Carpless

Reaction score
And as i've also said baz, people who don't have a boat can't complain that a record fish came from that spot because there is nothing stopping them from getting a boat and hitting the same spot. Just cause a fish gets caught without a skillful cast doesn't mean its any less of a fish. What if its under the rod tip? And its not like they are permenantly out of range, a fish taken from the margin of a water could get taken 400yrds out a year later with a couple more pounds. Any less of a record?

Carpless

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

swim it out. you can dive down and place it, bury the mainline and make sure the presentation is spot on.</blockquote>

I always pack my snorkel...

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

That's the trouble with you Moonpigs. When you're faced with the truth, your over imaginative minds take over.

Carpless

Reaction score
The problem is that we haven't agreed with what you have said. Do you have a problem with bait boats or the advancements in carp fishing? Would you like us to go back to just float fishing? Its about personal achievement and enjoyment, not about judging other peoples skills in catching fish. If I get good at casting and feel good about that then I'm happy, and if i catch a venue record fish and someone comes along and says 'yeah, but you used a boat' then I'm not going to feel any regret about doing so. 1 record per species for fish caught using accepted methods, thats how I see it and i'm sorry you disagree.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

The second part of my original post was that a good number of anglers are going back to rod and line.

You have just answered your own question Carpless.

F

Frothey

i dont have a boat Baz, and I've often swam it out in the past.

the lack of imagination is in the anglers that haven't thought of doing it.

Carpless

Reaction score
Good for them, I wish them the best of luck. So long as they don't look down on other anglers for using them then I couldn't give a damn. The fact is that you are busy calling us moonpigs and yet haven't actually presented us with good enough reason for the seperation of records other than you consider it more skillful when someone uses rod and line. So do I, but I don't think any less of people using bait boats in certain situations, nor do I consider a catch any less of a catch because they placed it with their boat. You seem to think differently though and I repect your opinion, I just don't think the logic behind it is correct in the world of modern angling.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Do you know who you are talking to? Do you know who I am?

Moonpigs going back to rod and line isn't my opinion, it's fact. I see it happening all the time. In the same way that useing rod and line reqires more skill. No proof or evidence needed to seperate the obviouse. Obviously you hold Frothey in very high esteem. He's a good lad yes, but I couldn't agree with anybody who swims their baits out like you think it is okay to do Carpless. That in its self is bad practice and irresponsible. And many clubs and water owners do not allow it.

Carpless

Reaction score
For starters I want to say that I hold you both it high esteem from my somwhat limited (in comparison) experiences on FM. I don't deny that some people are going back to rod and line and good for them if thats what brings them the most satisfaction and enjoyment (what it comes down to for me). All I'm saying is that I don't think its fair to make someones record feel obsolete, solely over the method of placement used. <blockquote class=quoteheader>Baz (Angel of the North) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Do you know who you are talking to? Do you know who I am?</blockquote>

Enlighten me.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Im the bailiff mate, and what I say goes. It's my way or the highway.

Nobodys record needs to be obsolete.

F

Frothey

Baz isn't a bailiff, he's a member.......

Rules are open to interpretation Baz, as a bailiff that uses them to his own ends, you of all people should know that.

Did you ever have Ivan Marks' ticket?

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Who's Ivan Marks?

Sorry to say Carpless, but "It Is" about judging peoples skills in catching fish. That's why we have a specimen fish record committee or whatever its called.

I feel as though this discussion is heavily weighed in my favour. Only two of you trying to trip me up? Pussy man, pussy.

F

Frothey

Try anti-biotics, should clear any infection Baz.

only 5 days of fun left for you and the un-initiated..... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Haahahaaaa, Carpless is a good un though Dave. It's been nice avin him. I look forward to avin him and others again in the near future.

Still think I'm right though.

Carpless

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

only 5 days of fun left for you and the un-initiated..... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Sad day