'bout time I ad a Barbel'

frippe

Reaction score
were the words I said on the short journey to our destination.

Sitting out in the rain paid off with Barbel of around the 7lb mark then a short while later with my new PB of 9lb 10oz
PillinsLockBarbel010.jpg

then, a quick last cast produced another of 8lb 8oz which had me in up too my knees to get round the weed.
PillinsLockBarbel033.jpg

Cracking afternoon out and well worth the soaking.

Bob

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
For some years, my PB was 9lbs 10ozs also, but it doesn't matter what size they come in at, they're all beautiful and, as Stoney used to say, "They all count!"

Well done!

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Bob, this thread inspired me to get the gear out and rove the Colne for a barbel.
I have not tried for about 3 years but I have heard of some fish coming out at 14lb and lots of near doubles within the last week.
I selected a swim with a nearside overhanging tree , chucked in a handful of 4m pellets and tackled up. Hair rigged a 6m pellet, underarm flick, and cast under the boughs of the tree......

After about 15 minutes the tip wanged round and I was in........

A perfect 6 inch barbel was in the net.. That was all I got all afternoon, but in a strange way I was happier with this fin/scale perfect mini specimen than if it had been a whacker...........

frippe

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Its actually nearly two years to the day that I caught my last Barbel, 30/08/08, which was my pb at 8lb 8oz.

Double figure is my aim now, I know there there I just have to tempt them. The 9lb9oz fish I caught felt spawned out so i'm guessing that would have been a double pre spawning.

:D

chav professor

Reaction score
well done mate - cracking fish. :w

I've been after a double figure barbel from the Hampshire Avon for two seasons now (a 6.5 hour round trip) - the best I've managed so far is a 6 pounder..........

I'd be more than satisfyed with your pb. Once again - well done!!!!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Well done Bob, the first of many Barbel I hope and nice to see a smile on your face :)

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
Folks,
you do realise that this is an old thread bumped by a slightly suspicious post?

Edit: Which has now been removed making my post looking very weird!;):D

Last edited: