Bread and...

laguna

Reaction score
I learned years ago that bread is not only one of the cheapest baits for catching roach, chub and barbel on the river, but arguably one of the best.
Admittedly as a Yorkshire lad growing up the 'cheap' bit is what first persuaded me and my mates to give it a try, our pocket money didn't always stretch to maggots plus day ticket and a pack of woodbines. But there's no denying that bread is probably still one of the most successful baits out there.

I've fished flake, crust, liccy bread (liquidised in a blender), mash, punch, paste and added crumb to my groundbaits too. I've even added spices and things to give me the edge. Some of the flavours worked and some didn't but part of the fun for me has always being the preparation side of things, and to experiment to find out what worked and when, and under what circumstances. However it's always worth remembering that there is no such thing as the perfect bait and there is no substitute for variety.
Each day, time of day and venue can also mean one or two different baits/ flavours can be the difference between catching and not catching.

What can be better than bread?
Well thanks, but I'm sticking with my bread, just changing it up a little...
Bread has proven to be such a fantastic bait on so many occasions over the years, I will always take some with me... times may have changed, but yet here I am some 50 odd years later, still living in the same county I grew up in, catching fish on bread!
I'm not about to change a habit of a life-time no sir!

How about flavoured bread?
Like me, some of you in the past may have added flavours to liccy bread such as vanilla extract, spices etc. Or in my case made a cheese sandwich from SAC juice Blue Cheese Special on flake. One of the best ways to flavour your bread is to make a paste from fresh bread, fresh enough that you can squeeze and mould it into a big dough ball and add various things to it. If you find it a little too stiff you can always add a few drops of water to it and a bit of salt. Another flavour to try is some soft blue or mature grated cheese. Aim for the right consistency so that you can hook it directly for trotting or to plug up your feeders. You can even make up your own method mix with flavoured bread too.
If kneading isn't your thing and you have a blender, you can make a simple crumb from fresh bread, add some flavour to your crumb and squeeze it into a ball. You might find its a lot less faffing around. To make a fine crumb you would need to dry it and blend it again, then add back a little water on the bank side.

If you absolutely hate preparing your bait, Laguna might just have the very thing you need this coming season... 4 different flavours!

Bread Paste - Blue Cheese, Hemp, Halibut or Elderberry
All of these work extremely well on the river.
Link to eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293695940400

*Keep in your bait bag between sessions, fridge or freeze-thaw

peterjg

Reaction score
I must admit that bread is my favourite bait closely followed wheat - surely there is a chemical connection? Bread is just so versatile, it can be any size, flavour and toughness. Why I don't know but it is readily accepted by fish which don't see anglers baits in unfished waters! I get through loads of it, any unused bread is liquidised and turned into ground bait by adding layers mash, ground up pellets, dark brown sugar, flavours, etc, etc. Big roach love it!

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Dont just stay with white bread,
Brown bread and granary and seeded bread works as well, they both crumb up in a liquidize to produce a soft bait for feed, the seeds are and added attraction.
Pitta bread when damp can be used with a flake press,
And dont forget the humble crumpet. ( the food, not a tasty looking woman) These take on flavours and can be used by making a disc with a meat punch.

Philip

Reaction score
Always have a loaf in the car. I would feel undressed without it.