British Fly Fair International update 2023

Thomas Turner

Trade Member
Reaction score
What a success! Probably the busiest of the BFF fairs in years, pre-show set up on the Friday was interesting. A client from the north of Scotland drove over 400 miles with a van full of tackle for me to go through. Spread over 18 feet of table and floor, it was an amazing collection of high-end game and saltwater fly-fishing equipment.

Of note; this set of Nautilus of Miami USA saltwater and Spey fly reels with spare spools and lines plus spare clutches.

flyfairupdate1.jpg

A further collection of Hardy, Lamson, Loop, Hardy saltwater tarpon and bonefish rods and reels. Then a superb set of custom tied saltwater or pike flies and wonderful Abel 12X in scale fade finish and reverse foot. We need more of the same.

flyfairupdate2-514x400.jpg

We also bought a great selection of antique reels and accessories. This genuine Heaton’s antique fishing scene reel is one of the best examples I’ve seen and will sell quickly.

eatonanddeller-435x400.jpg

The rare Augermatic vintage spinning reel was an unexpected prize at the end of day one, we don’t see many of these at all.

green-reel-507x400.jpg

Whilst Alison looked after the stall, I ran about meeting and greeting our friends on both Charity and retail stalls. Charles Jardine with his Fishing for Schools Charity (Est 2007) brought a good collection of Hardy rods and reels for us to buy. Check out Charles’s, spandex! You only get these fishy leggings if you complete a 26-mile marathon, now that’s commitment. He’s such a great guy, look forward to seeing him around at other events.

barry-grantham-300x400.jpg

Charles Jardine with john Stephenson

After many years I finally met Barry Grantham. We chatted about old reels; he confessed he loves Rosewood to Revolution. I love his work and bought a hand made priest and bamboo fly box for my display. Next time in Lincolnshire we plan to meet and fish with vintage tackle. He will win!

barry-grantham2-534x400.jpg

Barry Grantham with John Stephenson

And finally, on set up day I watched Mallon and Green building their shopfront. More of a store than a stall, I thought it looked amazing and it’s time we chatted. John and Marie, ex Orvis employees have taken over the old Orvis store in Bakewell. Launching their new business in May 2022 they are committed to supplying high quality goods and services to the anglers of Derbyshire.

bffupdate5.jpg

After chatting to them it was clear from their enthusiasm a valuation day at the shop in Bakewell will be a winner for all. Targeting the end of May, we will bring the TT roadshow to the Mallon and Green shop. Check out both websites for updates. We are looking to value or buy high quality vintage and nearly new fishing tackle by famous names, Hardy Farlow, Sage, Orvis, Thomas & Thomas and many more.

Please get in touch with me on 07548 871985 or john@thomasturner.com if you have surplus tackle to sell.

Picture8-mixed-tackle-534x400.jpg

It can be ancient rods and reels you would like valued or would like the history behind the items .If you sell to us, we pay on the spot and you can wander through two floors of fishing tackle buying the new items you need or want.

It all makes perfect sense.

The post British Fly Fair International update 2023 appeared first on Thomas Turner Fishing Antiques.

Continue reading...