Buggeration

rayner

Reaction score
but what about the balance around mental health ?
I dont see fishing as a sport either but I dont see outside activities as spreading the virus

There's a recurring theme here, no sooner has a lockdown been announced that mental health crops up. With all the best intentions mental health is not contagious, Corvid is and no moaning about not getting out will wash.
Local tackle shops are staying open, fisheries also. The outcome will be that the only companies making a profit are fisheries.
Folk may be locked down nationwide but not anglers. The mind boggles.

theartist

Reaction score
Scrap HS2 and any thought of more runways and terminals. Increase the armed forces, police and get ourselves some quantum physics satellites like the Chinese.

I digress to my eternal shame so happy fishing to every one and stay home, stay safe and save Santa.

I like the scrapping of Hs2 but save Santa?

I'm not being funny but he seems to give more gifts to the wealthy, has a blatant disregard of distancing measures and family bubbles when entering households, exploits and over works his reindeer, one of which is clearly unwell given the colour of it's hooter, and that's without mentioning the 'little' people back at the Santa Direct warehouse in lapland who lack diversity. The whole thing is an 'elf and safety nightmare in this day and age

mikench

Reaction score
I feel sorry for him Rob; he only comes once a year and that's down a chimney. :rolleyes: ??

My favourite Christmas card when I was in practice pictured Santa Claus, Mrs Claus and 3 kids dressed as Santa. It said Merry Christmas from Santa Claus, Mrs Claus and all the little sub clauses.

Reaction score
Outside recreation is what fishing comes under in my understanding,the clubs I am in will without doubt email to clarify the situation within the next two days....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
They just said on the news, stay at home except for essential journeys and some exercise. Is fishing essential or exercise? I wouldn't like to defend it on that basis. I think I will give it a miss for a month. I wouldn't be fishing much anyway right now, missing a couple of goes of if won't make much difference to me.

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
UIf you want to know the exact rules go to the gov web site: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nat...om-5-november#meeting-with-family-and-friends

3. Meeting with family and friends

You must not meet socially indoors with family or friends unless they are part of your household - meaning the people you live with - or support bubble.

A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit outdoor public places together.

You can exercise or visit outdoor public places with the people you live with, your support bubble, or 1 person from another household.

Outdoor public places include:

• parks, beaches, countryside,
  • public gardens (whether or not you pay to enter them), allotments
  • playgrounds

You cannot meet in a private garden.

Krang

Reaction score
This is better from the angling trust.

Aknib

Reaction score
They just said on the news, stay at home except for essential journeys and some exercise. Is fishing essential or exercise? I wouldn't like to defend it on that basis. I think I will give it a miss for a month. I wouldn't be fishing much anyway right now, missing a couple of goes if that wont make much difference to me.

Well...

I'd argue that if the physical exercise whilst lumping gear along a riverbank wasn't enough then the mental exercise of fishing should cover it.

And they didn't stipulate what exercise they implied... Physical, mental or both?

My attitude has changed so much since the first wave of this awful bloody thing, whilst I was pedantically trying to comply with the 'advice' I'm now finding myself not so much looking for loopholes in a reckless fashion but realising that we're really no further on whilst life ticks away and where I think I can sensibly mitigate the risks, both to myself and others, I'm feeling more inclined to do so.

And I think that ties in with a phrase that we're hearing more and more of, namely 'learning to adapt to and live with the virus'.

Let's face it, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about and it's hardly on a par with the disgraceful scenes we saw in places like Nottingham last week where several hundred people were jumping around on each other whilst heavily under the influence.

It all depends on the work situation for me but if I find myself furloughed again I will, unless explicitly told otherwise, likely find myself on the riverbank enjoying the solitude and isolation that it offers.

Another Dave

Reaction score
This is better from the angling trust.

UPDATE: 09.15pm 01/11/2020

The Angling Trust is pleased that the government has recognised the value of allowing angling and other forms of outdoor recreation to continue – with members of your own household or with one other individual – through next month’s lockdown. It seems that tackle shops will still be able to operate a ‘click and collect’ service. So we are still fishing.

Whilst we need to see the precise details in the regulations laid before Parliament on Monday it is likely there will be impacts on certain areas of our sport and we will update everybody just as soon as we are able to do so. Thanks for your patience

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I would have liked to have seen the official reply from the government to the angling trusts lobbying! Are the angling trust just saying this is what someone told them in government, it is not on that link, hopefully they will print them if they have them by Monday.

It is not enough for me, if I go fishing and get arrested for breaking lockdown rules and taken to court, I want the official government ruling, not just that it's the angling trust's say so and I wouldn't fancy my chances arguing it was essential exercise either.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Contacting clubs(if they don't contact you)is the way forward,the clubs i'm in generally email at least once a month,after the second lockdown has been announced I fully expect emails from both by Wednesday night and only that late because of the relatively short period of time available from this morning till Thursday to weigh up the pros and cons of their decisions....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A club I am in shut their "gated" waters during last lock down, then when that was over it was social distancing, pegs taped off, once pools were full no one allowed on,
No guests or day tickets are being issued at the moment, this is from last lockdown.
Hand sanitizer and toilet requirements had to be carried.
I expect the same will happen again in this lockdown, so that just leaves the canal and river for me.

rayner

Reaction score
I was being more than a little cautious before the second lockdown was decided. With the decision to make it until December my attention to my safety will not alter perhaps until next year.
Fortunately, I'm happy being at home with my wife, the only outside chat is with members of this forum. I can joyfully sit reading or spending time on my laptop. I can feel my waistline growing with every moment.
Had I been capable I would more than likely been on the banks moaning someone had robbed my swim, :) sadly that's not the case.
After reading what members think I've changed my mind concerning fishing or not.
That being so, I reckon if you capable and can get out go for it, lives far too short to sit wishing to fish or any other outdoor activity.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Talking to a mate today he said he saw some bloke walk out of Morrisons with 4 big packs of toilets of rolls, no food just rolls. So I went to Iceland today and the bloke in front was doing the same thing, two big packs of toilet rolls and no food in his trolley. Coincidence, hardly, and I noticed all the ques in the shops had longer ques than usual even for a Monday, its started.

Keith M

Reaction score
Stupid I know, however because of these idiots the toilet roll shelves will soon be left empty in days to come, so even those of us who don’t stock up will probably be forced to end up going out to get a few before we eventually run out, and it’s just unnecessary;

Although I did read this on the following Covid-19 Healthline web page:
Some people may develop gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea, loss of appetite, or vomiting even in the absence of other flu-like symptoms.

So maybe they are stocking up with loo paper just incase they catch the virus.
And the same goes for packets of pasta and flour and tinned food in our local shops the idiots are stockpiling these as well.

Keith

Krang

Reaction score
Stupid I know, however because of these idiots the toilet roll shelves will soon be left empty in days to come, so even those of us who don’t stock up will probably be forced to end up going out to get a few before we eventually run out, and it’s just unnecessary;

Although I did read this on the following Covid-19 Healthline web page:

So maybe they are stocking up with loo paper just incase they catch the virus.
And the same goes for packets of pasta and flour and tinned food in our local shops the idiots are stockpiling these as well.

Keith

At least the people buying the food have the sense to realise that they wont need toilet paper if they don't also have food. If this turns out to be the apocalypse there's gonna be lots of really stupid people just looking sadly at big piles of toilet paper

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't know if any super-markets are applying restrictions yet but they should; surely they are not going to make the same mistake as last time.

Clodhopper

Reaction score
"My attitude has changed so much since the first wave of this awful bloody thing, whilst I was pedantically trying to comply with the 'advice' I'm now finding myself not so much looking for loopholes in a reckless fashion but realising that we're really no further on whilst life ticks away and where I think I can sensibly mitigate the risks, both to myself and others, I'm feeling more inclined to do so.

And I think that ties in with a phrase that we're hearing more and more of, namely 'learning to adapt to and live with the virus
"

This post made me think about my own attitude. Last time, it was about avoiding being admitted to hospital and putting health workers' lives at risk and that meant hunkering down at home almost completely. Those concerns persist now but last time I felt guilty about the fact that people had to go out to work through it. This time I will make the effort, within the guidelines, to support those trying to keep their businesses going, so if tackle shops are open and the guidelines say I can fish, I will do so as safely as possible. And I will be going out to get takeaways from my local pub........!