Buy their pellets...not legal!

Cakey

Reaction score
can I have the name of the fishery so I can get in touch and get their response please .........................

klik2change

Reaction score
Im a great believer in two sides to a story

I should have thought that it was common knowledge that any place of business that does not prepare food on the premises has no right to prevent members of the public bringing their own food to eat there. That counts for cinemas, pubs and other similar businesses without food preparation facilities. Those who have such facilities are quite rightly defended by health and safety laws.

But- just you try getting a policeman to come and enforce your right to eat your own food in a cinema!

I really hate the expression "do-gooder". It conjures up pictures of right-wing thugs and retired colonels. Graham, you arent a retired colonel are you? Lance corporal? What about that idiot on Question Time who always bangs on about the mafia in the health & safety executive? He has never done a hand's turn in his life.!!

Health and safety laws are there mainly for the defence of workers at work. I used to work in the construction industry when the statistics said that every worker lived with the odds of 50 -1 ON having a serious accident at work. I worked on three sites where someone was killed. Nowadays, despite the rigour of H&S laws in construction, there are still 50-odd people killed every year, about a fifth of what it was in the early 70s - just when the Health & Safety Executive came into being! A labour government of course!

Too many posters on FM get hot under the collar and reduce threads to slanging matches. Both sides in this debate have resorted to irrelevant personal attacks. Both sides have positive points to make and useful negative points as well.

To return to the thread, I use A1 pits frequently. They have about 3 miles of roads, which might cost up to a a couple of £million to make comfortable to drive on. The toilets - unisex - are clean enough to be acceptable without being palatial.

The fishing rules on the site are very relaxed and the place is safe from night time marauders because they lock the gates. The land itself is left to itself, with the odd mowing done occasionally. I really like it the way it is. The bailiffs are friendly, knowledgeable and unassuming. What more would I want? I night fish there whenever I can.

It's a bit rough in some ways - but I LIKE roughing it!

Will there be any [civilised] comments on this post? I bet there arent, despite the fact that I have criticised every one of you. Dont worry, I'm used to being ignored.

Cakey

Reaction score
Im reserving judgement until I talk to the fishery as to why only their pellets and why they are 5 times dearer than a local tackle shop ...................

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Average price of pellets (usually carp pellets) at fisheries I have fished is around £2.25 to £2.50 per kilo, so that makes the price of the pellets that Upnorth uses (5 times more remember) at around £12.50 per kilo. :eek:

Are we really expected to believe rubbish like that? Nah! not me anyway.

Signed

Caring fisherman :p

davegn

Reaction score
I should have thought that it was common knowledge that any place of business that does not prepare food on the premises has no right to prevent members of the public bringing their own food to eat there. That counts for cinemas, pubs and other similar businesses without food preparation facilities. Those who have such facilities are quite rightly defended by health and safety laws.

But- just you try getting a policeman to come and enforce your right to eat your own food in a cinema!

I really hate the expression "do-gooder". It conjures up pictures of right-wing thugs and retired colonels. Graham, you arent a retired colonel are you? Lance corporal? What about that idiot on Question Time who always bangs on about the mafia in the health & safety executive? He has never done a hand's turn in his life.!!

Health and safety laws are there mainly for the defence of workers at work. I used to work in the construction industry when the statistics said that every worker lived with the odds of 50 -1 ON having a serious accident at work. I worked on three sites where someone was killed. Nowadays, despite the rigour of H&S laws in construction, there are still 50-odd people killed every year, about a fifth of what it was in the early 70s - just when the Health & Safety Executive came into being! A labour government of course!

Too many posters on FM get hot under the collar and reduce threads to slanging matches. Both sides in this debate have resorted to irrelevant personal attacks. Both sides have positive points to make and useful negative points as well.

To return to the thread, I use A1 pits frequently. They have about 3 miles of roads, which might cost up to a a couple of £million to make comfortable to drive on. The toilets - unisex - are clean enough to be acceptable without being palatial.

The fishing rules on the site are very relaxed and the place is safe from night time marauders because they lock the gates. The land itself is left to itself, with the odd mowing done occasionally. I really like it the way it is. The bailiffs are friendly, knowledgeable and unassuming. What more would I want? I night fish there whenever I can.

It's a bit rough in some ways - but I LIKE roughing it!

Will there be any [civilised] comments on this post? I bet there arent, despite the fact that I have criticised every one of you. Dont worry, I'm used to being ignored.

I am sorry that this thread reverted to personal abuse but I was simply responding to those who seem to think everyone who challenges their point of view is a "namby pamby!"
What I wanted was to make anglers aware of their rights under the law, whether they want them or not!
I used to fish A1 pits for many years until my condition made it too difficult, but I had some fantastic bream hauls there in the '80s and '90s, plus some big barbel on the adjacent river. The pits have never set out to be the typical commercial fishery, retaining their natural gravel pit beauty.

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Average price of pellets (usually carp pellets) at fisheries I have fished is around £2.25 to £2.50 per kilo, so that makes the price of the pellets that Upnorth uses (5 times more remember) at around £12.50 per kilo. :eek:

Are we really expected to believe rubbish like that? Nah! not me anyway.

Signed

Caring fisherman :p

Graham, you are a lucky man! The fisheries in question do not sell them by the kilo but in small bags of less than half a kilo for which they charge between £2.50 and £3.50 per bag, depending upon the fishery.
Best thing is they are not even top quality pellets!
I listen to your rubbish which is usually unfounded, at least mine is based upon fact!
Take a trip up north and visit some of the fisheries around Sheffield, Doncaster, Worksop and Chesterfield,(amongst other towns) and you will see for yourself!

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
why is this thread still going?
if you don't like the way the fishery is run, don't fish there.
with regards pellets specifically, i fail to believe that any fishery has a rule that only allows you to feed their pellets, with no other free offerings allowed of any sort, whatsoever. bear in mind, for you to even have a point, the only baits going in their fishery would be their pellets, and single hookbaits. no maggots, no bread, no meat, no groundbait, no sweetcorn, etc etc.

as cakey has said, name the place that got you so fired up, upnorth. i would be curious to see their rules that are inhibiting your freedom of choice so much.

Cakey

Reaction score
upnorth you cant keep ignoring me
name and shame them or shut up ,I dont think its fair that you are willing to let the rest of us fish there !
if you dont want to name and shame on a public forum send me an email
cakey.sandra@ntlworld.com

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Upnorth appears to be one of those thinskinned posters who doesn't like it when people like me disagree with him, my referring to him and others like him as do gooders (which under the circumstances seems totally appropriate) initiates responses like "you are an uncaring angler" or "your rubbish". Water off a ducks back as far as I am concerned but when challenged on his statements such as the cost of the pellets he cocks a deaf 'un.

Unconvincing is my reaction to this thread and I still think the ordinary angler would not like people like him interfering with the running of their fishery, law or no law. Don't like a fishery? Don't use it, oh! so simple but obviously Upnorth is totally oblivious to the matter of choice or isn't choice one of his 'laws'?

I

Ian Cloke

What a load of tosh this thread is! A fishery CAN enforce the pellet rule, but it cannot enforce a total "Buy only our bait" rule. Any person visiting a fishery should always check the fishery rules, prior to fishing, and then they will be able to see what other baits are allowed, example maggots ir sweetcorn, so they can take their own bait to the fishery, hence the fishery does not have the monopoly on bait!

Well I must say it's good to be back :)

S

Scott Whatmore

Hello again Ian, glad you're back. You are quite right of course, it is a load of tosh.

T'was, t'is and t'will ever be LOL

davegn

Reaction score
What a load of tosh this thread is! A fishery CAN enforce the pellet rule, but it cannot enforce a total "Buy only our bait" rule. Any person visiting a fishery should always check the fishery rules, prior to fishing, and then they will be able to see what other baits are allowed, example maggots ir sweetcorn, so they can take their own bait to the fishery, hence the fishery does not have the monopoly on bait!

Well I must say it's good to be back :)

Ian, I never raised the subject of a total "Buy only our bait" only that of pellets, so please read the thread carefully.
As for your point on rules, they are quite legitimate but you miss the point, which is the legality of a Fishery insisting that you buy their pellets and not being able to use any others!
Your answer is therefore irrelevant, why not try again!

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

why is this thread still going?
if you don't like the way the fishery is run, don't fish there.
with regards pellets specifically, i fail to believe that any fishery has a rule that only allows you to feed their pellets, with no other free offerings allowed of any sort, whatsoever. bear in mind, for you to even have a point, the only baits going in their fishery would be their pellets, and single hookbaits. no maggots, no bread, no meat, no groundbait, no sweetcorn, etc etc.

as cakey has said, name the place that got you so fired up, upnorth. i would be curious to see their rules that are inhibiting your freedom of choice so much.

Ben, if you had any legal understanding you would know quite wel why I am not giving you yhe name of the Many fisheries that have this rule, but all that you need to do is go onto the websites for fisheries in the South Yorkshire, North Notts. and North East Derbyshire area to find some of them!
You might also care to come up and visit the local clubs and pubs and listen for yourself the moaning of anglers in this area!
And you also miss the point, they do allow other baits but when it comes to pellets, the most popular on commercial fisheries, it is only THEIR pellets that are allowed!
I cannot understand why people cannot read what the thread is about!
Makes me wonder somewhat about anglers, do they like being bossed around? Graham talks about choice, but then he supports fisheries that insist on this rule!
Sorry but I think that I will simply let the blind lead the blind!

Cakey

Reaction score
what a load of old b*ll*cks .....................theres nothing to stop you doing a fishery review on here as to how you found the fisheriey i.e.if there are litter problems ,what the swims are like ,rules etc
Im now starting to believe you are making it all up upnorth

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Just to put the cat among the pigeons I don't think anyone should be using pellets!!
Especially if they are fish based!

Is it any wonder the seas are being emptied??

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why not look at it another way.
If the fishery are using the pellets to feed their fish, wouldn't the best bait be what they are used to?

Other than that I agree, a load of *******s!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think he should leave fisheries to the real fishermen and take his legal eagling to the WI I'm sure thay will welcome him and there are plenty of old women there to impress.

Most, if not all fisheries that insist on you using their pellets state that those are for feed but you can use whatever pellets you like on the hook. That as far as I am concerned is their prerogative and just as I don't agree with dipping nets before fishing I comply with their rules because I choose to fish there.