Can anyone help please

villan

Reaction score
B

binka

I've never heard of different spools for braid or mono?

Are they both the same depth/capacity?

If not I would use the shallower spool for the braid due to the braid being much thinner than mono, this way you won't have to put too much onto the spool to get it up to a decent casting level near the lip.

Edited to add:

There's a review here which mentions a spare, shallow braid spool so I'm thinking my guess may have been right...

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/tokushima-graph-x-4000-look-out-shimano.2095678/

Last edited:

villan

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply.
It is in the bag in the boot of the car as I went fishing yesterday, caught a couple of nice carp :)
I will get it out after me brekkie and check :)
I have been looking at some line for it, and am heavily drawn to this

Drennan Feeder and Method Mono.

Thanks again
Villan

ps. agter reading a few more replies on that thread I am thinking I may have bought a dummy, but I will let you know after I have tried it out :) Glad I didnt pay the £70 that was the price on the box :)

Last edited:

villan

Reaction score
Just been cleaning and putting away fishing gear, the two spools are different, one is narrower. There is no difference other than that.

Villan

B

binka

I would definitely use the shallower spool for braid or lower diameter/lighter mono if you're putting mono on both, many of the match type reels also come with shallow and deeper spools for different line diameters.

The Drennan line is a good low stretch line, it's designed for low friction casting with leads or feeders and it has a slight sheen to it which is slick off the spool and through the rings but I've also been using the 12lb for hooklink material when barbel fishing purely because it matches the gravelly river bed perfectly in colour and the sheen has made no noticeable difference to bites in terms of any reduction... It's nice and robust on abrasions too.

I never read down the thread so not sure about the quality or performance of the reel, it actually looked very nice in the picture but beauty is often only skin deep ;)

I hope you get on well with it though, don't be put off and form your own opinions.

villan

Reaction score
Thanks Binka, am about to order the Drennan line, every review has been a good one.
Villan

ps. aint got a clue about braid yet, so will just be using the one spool.

eta..... after several more hours reading and watching stuff I have finally ordered the Daiwa Sensor 8lb :) and can fill both reels comfortably from one spool :)

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
It looks a lot like some of the unbranded Chinese reels that sell on Ebay - the spec of those reels is way above their price range but they generally don't have a spare spool. It'd be nice to see a review once you've lived with it for a while. :)

villan

Reaction score
The sensor arrived this morning, and I have watched many youtubes on filling the new reel with the line.
Does anyone having used this line have any comments on which is the best way to spool it up.
I don't want to over complicate things, just get it right first time,
Thanks
Villan

ETA..... Found what I was looking for :)

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
One thing to add villan regarding loading reels, I have never had a reel yet that hasn't needed backing line first.
I use fly backing line for this.

robtherake

Reaction score
It goes on better if you give it a soak in water. I've always used hot (not boiling) water and soaked it for up to an hour, but there are others on here who soak their lines for a full 24 hours and reckon it works for them.

When you start loading up, watch the line as it leaves the spool. If it's coming off in tight coils you most likely have the spool facing the wrong way round and it will have lots of spin wound into it, which will (at the very least) cause it to misbehave in use; reverse it and you'll see what I mean. Line that has spun-up in use will behave the same way and the spin can also drastically reduce its breaking strain.

There are a few methods to remove spin from a line; a Gardner Spin Doctor lead which is cast out and takes out the spin as it's wound back in, or go to a playing field and walk all your line down to the spool knot then wind it back in under light finger pressure, or if you know of a low bridge over a river (or a suitable access point) you can open the bail arm and allow the current to carry the line downstream - you can actually see the spin coming out! This latter method is the best in my view; it does an excellent job.

villan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
I managed to overload the reel, and had 3 birds nests after about an hour of fishing. The last one I removed about 50 mtrs of line, then did as said and sent the lead out on its own and rewound several times. Fished for a good while longer without problems. The reels clutch is super sensitive. I will give it another testing next weekend :)

Villan

villan

Reaction score
Hello again, I have to say..... what a little beauty this reel has turned out to be :)