Can anyone tell me -

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date

Chevin

Reaction score
During my 2004 visit to the UK I fished one of the pay and catch waters in Kent and one of the carp anglers kept referring to silver fish as though they were something to be despised. I asked him what silver fish were and he told me that they were anything that weren't carp. The sad thing about it was that I could see from his tackle and methods that he was certainly not a carp angler as I knew them many years ago. He obviously had no idea as to how to go about fishing for a species of fish selectively.

Trisantona

Reaction score
The term Silverfish originated in Canal matchfishing when the mainstay of building a team weight were Gudgeon,any roach,hybrids,skimmers etc. were lumped together and called silverfish and were a huge bonus,a typical canal match would be won with ,say,6 lb. of gudgeon plus silvers....the term was popularised in the writings of Frank Barlow,Billy Making and Mark Downes etc.

Wayne Bradford

Reaction score
i have allways thought i silver fish was a baby bream or roach anything that isent big enough to class as a fish yet

Chevin

Reaction score
Wayne Bradford E-mail member
Posted: 06/05/07 11:33:00 AM
i have allways thought i silver fish was a baby bream or roach anything that isent big enough to class as a fish yet

I have to say that is the saddest explanation I have seen. However small a fish might be, it is a fish to someone. I can remember the days I was pleased with the biggest stickleback I caught during the course of a day. While I may not want to catch tiny fish these days, I remember the pleasure they gave me when I was a kid and I would never treat them with contempt.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I think the rules state "Two keepnets, one for silvers, the other for carp".

That explains it all..........dunnit???