Can everyone here ----

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I'm 22 so would like to think I would be ok if this occurred. I am now a confident enough swimmer.

Like others have said in freezing cold conditions things might change

Keith M

Reaction score
I think I would be able to swim back to dry land in most cases; however on a swift river during the middle of winter I would not be quite as confident. I certainly wouldn't fish on my own in such a situation.

Keith

theartist

Reaction score
I sink like a lead balloon when in water - I guess i'm heavy boned and do get jealous of those floaty types. Can't swim a stroke either and a couple of times whilst fishing I have thought hmmm 'bit dodge here' or 'that was close' Have looked into life jackets but as yet done nothing about it, pretty stupid I know but my car hasn't got great crash protection, I cycle sometimes in London, probably drink too much and eat too much red meat. The odds are that stress is going to get me before anything else but if that big ol' river takes me away then so be it.

trotter2

Reaction score
I have done it a couple of times, once when the bank give way and I found myself in 8 feet of November river water. No laughing matter I can tell you.
I managed to swim on my back to the bank fully clothed with waders full of water. The hardest part after the shock of going in, was pulling yourself out onto the bank . Its a very scary experience. :eek:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Stick a snotty in front of me and I'll be back on the bank so quickly my clothes will have dried out before touch down................;)

terry m

Reaction score
As others have said, I feel I am a competent swimmer, but low temperatures and fast flowing waters are not quite the same as flopping around in your local lido!

Be aware of the risks, appropriate footwear especially on steep banks and beware of undercut banks that can disappear from under you in a second or two.

peytr

Reaction score
Interesting question.

I have been in the water on two occasions (not fishing but sailing) with boots and clothes on. Once I was sure I would be dead in a few minutes. It didn't happen because other people got me out of the water. On my own I wouldn't have had a chance.

I'm keen on winter fishing and I always try to be aware of the situation: depths nearby, running water, no people to help me out etc.

The short answer is no. The problem with drowning is that it's irreversible.