Canal Fishing - is it falling out of favour?

cg74

Reaction score
Mark Todd may know what permit do i need to fish the stratch between Ayhno and Sommerton?

Its a Banbury & District Angling Association stretch, I think they're tickets are £30 per year but in view of how the club has completely neglected the adjacent river Cherwell I refuse to join.
And if I fish on their waters, I just go with a fiver in my pocket and pay for a day ticket, its a fair bet you won't meet a bailiff though, unless fishing their waters around Nellbridge.

Oh and BDAA's canal stretches do still have carp in them but not the numbers they once enjoyed, most have been rammed into Clattercote and Boddington reservoirs.
All part of BW greedy take take TAKE policy!

dannytaylor

Reaction score
canals are so underrated, had many memorable sessions and fish fishing these waterways. They are in reality massive waters and fish can litterly come and go so you never know what could turn up next in a section, lots of mystery.

At this time of year very early summer mornings are the best time to be out on the canals not a soul about and no boat traffic to contend with. Rather than taking the static approach i like to travel light and stalk fish. Bait up several spots the night before and then in the morning approach fishing the canal rather like a river, roving from one spot too the next, you'll be surprised what you may catch.

109-1.jpg

cg74

Reaction score
What we as anglers must never forget is that canals were built to take boat and barge traffic, and nothing else. We as anglers are guests on the canals and we really don't have to litter up the towpath with tons of debris and pole supports as I see quite often.

That's all very true but the canals weren't built for an ever expanding leisure industry either:
They were built solely as a means of transporting goods (though obviously some did permanently reside on them too, as is the case now), during the prelude to formation of the rail network.

BW surviving on archaic abstraction laws and currently under the umbrella cover of DEFRA, along with the EA.....

Draw your own conclusions as to why the abstraction laws protecting boat usage remain the same as in the late 18th century, despite the dramatic changes now found in this country; population increase, alleged greater care/thought for the environment etc:eek:mg::(:mad:

Then there is the unquantified damage being inflicted upon the rivers by boats as a result of bankside erosion and the subsiquent turbid water depositing silt sediment on gravel beds BUT never fear, boats passing through our swims often has a beneficial effect on our days fishing, even if long term they're screwing it!!:eek:mg::(:mad:

jonty 2

Reaction score
Agree that canals are one of the under utilised assets available to the modern angler.
Guys will pay a small fortune (myself included) to join syndicates when with a bit of effort there are possibly bigger fish roaming the under used canal networks.
Carp are a prime example.
Guys (and Gals) will happily pay 20-30 quid for a weekend ticket on a commercial to stand a chance of perhaps catching a high double, when the canals certainly have fish twice that size in them.
Perch are another fish that thrives on the lack of angling pressure.

I've been on the canals for a few years now and can count on one hand how many other anglers I see from one year to the next.

Get your walking boots on and go and explore virgin fishing for virgin fish.

jbulla

Reaction score
canals are so underrated, had many memorable sessions and fish fishing these waterways. They are in reality massive waters and fish can litterly come and go so you never know what could turn up next in a section, lots of mystery.

At this time of year very early summer mornings are the best time to be out on the canals not a soul about and no boat traffic to contend with. Rather than taking the static approach i like to travel light and stalk fish. Bait up several spots the night before and then in the morning approach fishing the canal rather like a river, roving from one spot too the next, you'll be surprised what you may catch.

109-1.jpg

Thats a lovely looking spot mate, what canal is that ?

quickcedo

Reaction score
I have seen Perch caught from alongside my boat to just short of 4lb. My best is a little over 3. I have had Carp to over 30 and hand fed one that was bigger. it just takes a bit of effort, something many anglers are not prepared to do anymore.
There are a small group of Carp near me which I have seen hanging around the locks almost waiting for them to open. I have watched them go from one pound to the next and then the next. A trip of over 2 miles. A week later and they were back. I have no idea why but they seem to do this quite often, hence sometimes you can catch then at a given swim and not again, sometimes never.

geggsnick

Reaction score
Its a Banbury & District Angling Association stretch, I think they're tickets are £30 per year but in view of how the club has completely neglected the adjacent river Cherwell I refuse to join.
And if I fish on their waters, I just go with a fiver in my pocket and pay for a day ticket, its a fair bet you won't meet a bailiff though, unless fishing their waters around Nellbridge.

Oh and BDAA's canal stretches do still have carp in them but not the numbers they once enjoyed, most have been rammed into Clattercote and Boddington reservoirs.
All part of BW greedy take take TAKE policy!

ok thanks for that, i'll be down there with my tackle out this evening then..:rolleyes:

guest61

Reaction score
I fished my local canal for the first time in 30 years last year - I had some massive catches of Bream, Hybrids and Roach in varied baits and varied methods.

To me, it doesn't matter if canals are falling out of favour they have too many positives to ignore.

I even caught a barge driver in the ear with a hook.

Mark

rains

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the liverpool/leeds canel if worth fishing from the liverpool side that is

guest61

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the liverpool/leeds canel if worth fishing from the liverpool side that is

I don't know about the Leeds Liverpool Canal, However, the Shropshire Union Canal from Ellesmere Port to Nantwich was highlighted in 'fishery focus' in Tight lines Sky Sports last week.

I'm not sure if that's near enough to you though.

rains

Reaction score
I don't know about the Leeds Liverpool Canal, However, the Shropshire Union Canal from Ellesmere Port to Nantwich was highlighted in 'fishery focus' in Tight lines Sky Sports last week.

I'm not sure if that's near enough to you though.
think that might be abit away but still worth checking out thanks brooks

7080fred

Reaction score
I have been to my local canal today and caught four perch. The largest one was 3lb; the second one was just under 3lb. Then I had a 2 1/2lb and a 2lb perch. All caught on four lobworm tails on a size 4 hook with a quiver tip rod. These pictures are three of the biggest fish.

Attachments

• Local canal perch 27 5 2011 12.jpg
    Local canal perch 27 5 2011 12.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Local canal perch 27 5 2011 011.jpg
    Local canal perch 27 5 2011 011.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited: