Carp fishing in earlier times

C

Cider Bob*PAC*

Most stereotypes are born out of a certain amount of fact.
Carp angling is the only branch of the sport where a "party" takes place when a sizable fish has been caught.

B

Bully

Its like anything really - progress

Would you do the following - cycle to fishing, watch black&white TV, send a stamped addressed envelope for some information, write to your children (as in a letter) at University, take more than 2 hours to get to an airport, use an old blade club when playing golf etc etc.

So long as basic principles of fish welfare etc are followed, live with the times!

F

Frothey

Carp angling is the only branch of the sport where a "party" takes place when a sizable fish has been caught.

Really? you say tongue in cheek, than say that......

not going to get into a pointless arguement about celebrating a catch, but if it does happen is it a bad thing? and maybe its because people have read books about anglers that have fished hard waters where they were worth celebrating and then mimick it on easy waters.

or maybe its because the easy waters are "weekend" venues where people go for a holiday

or maybe its just heresay.....

C

Cider Bob*PAC*

My point was that new anglers looking to take up carp fishing,could easily pick up a copy of say,"carping uncut",read about the big drinking sessions and believe this to be the norm,thus a stereotype is born.

I wasnt looking for an argument.Seems its quite hard to avoid one on FM lately.

F

Frothey

oh sod off lol!

things always come across badly in the written word.

Shelley's made a rod for his own back with what he's done in the past - fair play to him for being honest in his book. strangely though, he doesnt actually talk about big sessions whilst fishingmuch apart from the horton "incident" - and that was only 1 can!

Rob Maylins books were a long time ago, as were Hutchies - and again, totally different sorts of waters. fishing shouldnt be a chore!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

"things always come across badly in the written word."

Smilies help, but even they've come in for some stick since we introduced them (for those who want them)./forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

C

Cider Bob*PAC*

Im aaginst drinking/fishing but thats another thread and it stems from my own bad experience.

A couple of beers is ok but I believe that any more than that could lead to irresponable angling,at least it did for me when i did it.

I know everyone is diffrent and I respect that.everyone knows there own limits and capabilities.

F

Frothey

no need to tar everyone just because you can handle your drink!

T

The Monk

where the catching of big carp is concerned, is that we have just become too good at it, and everything we need to catch big carp can be bought - venue access, tackle, bait and knowledge.

Yes fair comment Graham, but a number of factors have helped us become good at it, the most significant was the introduction of the bolt rig by that geezer from Rotherham, the hair rig was also very significant, the combination of the two allowed many who would not have sat it out hitting twitchers to allow the carp to hook itself and take a significant amount of skills out of the sport. Without doubt, nothing was more satisfying that hitting a very small twitch in the middle of a cold winters night and converting it into a double figured carp on the bank, wewould sit like gun fighters, rod at each side and hit the slightest twitch, you had no chance of a kip in the bivvy when they were not runnining, the bolts rig got the carp running again, but without the effort of a timed strike. Another signifivcant factor is that we now have a far greater biodiversity of carp and they have grown much bigger

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

And not even the chance of a bit of slap and tickle with a ruffe slapper in the bivvy either.

Those were the days hey!

T

The Monk

you had to pull your rods in when the ladies visited mate, well your fishing rods anyway

R

Roto Fryer 1

and here amI fishing for catfish on the jaopraya riverin the middle of bangkok with a 14ft light float rod, centerpin reel and 6lb line. the locals use heavy 11 ft or shorter rods with 20kg line or similar with at least three hooks.They all laugh at me but i always seem to catch the bigger fish and more of themand a as a result get a nice bit of sport. Ido miss my carping though butI also like to be comfortable and relaxedwhen i'm out for a few days as im not 10 anymore and dont like to be on the bank exposed all night in my middle years. i also miss catching green things which i seem to have got rather good at!!!

not been carping since december 2005.

B

Bill Cox

Hey roto

good to see your still about bud./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Biggest thing that pisses me off now is the ever increasing number of matchman targeting double figure and above carp on poles. FFS where is the sense gone?

as far as the rest well i just go about my own fishing now, i have long lost interest in trying to fight the ever increasing tide of crap anglers with no respect for others, wandering around in battle fatigues./forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Trisantona

Reaction score
Know how you feel Bill,i gave up carp fishing as such six years ago,still got the gear but no desire to use it any more,some pillocks cast right on top of where i was fishing,despite i was using very bright red mainline so anyone could see where i had cast to,i told em three times but they just said "stop moaning and get on with it ",i caught three doubles,they caught nowt. nuff said./forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

R

Roto Fryer 1

it's not too difficult to pay a visit to your neighbouring swim and see whats going on and check where he/she is fishing. i do this as a matter of course, however, i don't walk straight up to the waters edge big and bold saying ad anyfink m8. it is suprising though how many people think you are spying on them when you do this roflmao

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay AMIMechE (SA) MIFE (SA) (ACA)

The most enjoyable carp fishing I ever did in my life was on a 6 acre dam on a farm about 40 miles from my home. It held carp over 30 lbs and large mouth bass, was quite clear and covered with large lilies.

I used to go to a position on the bank down wind where possible and over a bit of deep water.

I used to approach the spot on my stomach like an army sniper, dressed in military style fatigues with floppy bush hat, armed with an old Bruce & Walker Glass Mk VI that I had coated in matt varnish. I was often bitten badly by ants. Bait was plain bread crust which a few pieces were catapulted out and left to float in the margins. When the carp arrived on the scene,I used to drop a slice of crust with the hook in it on the water hopefully in the path of the biggest carp.

It was heart stopping stuff and I caught some big ones this way up to nearly 30 lbs.

Then I lost the right I had to fish there and the most exciting form of carp fishing I had ever known with it.

But there was only me on the water, otherwise I would have caught nothing.

dean?o

Reaction score
i agree with many comments made. i have been carp fishing for 22yrs now (still only 32) and was taught by my brother. but i was not just taught how to set up, how to catch but how to respect other anglers on the lakes. all too often now, if you are catching then the likelyhood is that some 1 starts casting into your swim and totally shows no respect. this is a huge problem these days i feel. i have fished my local lakes for 22yrs and still go back there year on year due to my love affair with the lakes. it`s where it all began for me as a kid, but recently we have experienced total cocks turning up and slowly ruining the lakes. noise levels, leaving rubbish behind, and generally making arses of themselves. bring back the old days (secret squirrell) or educate people coming into the sport some fishing etticat.