carp hooklenths

S

si

this closed season ive been fishing the carp lakes but being a bit new to it ive have had trouble with hook lengths snapping . the fish in the lake are all above 10lb so what lb hook length do i need i dont want to fish for them again without haveing the correct rig for fear of snapping of any help much appreciated

F

Frothey

what are you using - braid/mono? breaking strain? what knot? what tc rods? where is the hooklength snapping (at knot or halfway along). is it weedy/gravelly/snaggy?

S

si

glad i got your attention frothey you seem the right guy the rod is a abu garcia suveran the line is 8lb braid with a 6lb shockleader of 15ft i was useing the loop tru to attach hooklength straight to the swivel on a running ledger rig and the hooklength was snapping half way between hook and knot

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Sounds like shite line, or else you are hooking monsters!

C

Carp Angler

the usual sign of a hooklength snapping half way down, be it braid or flouro, is a bad knot.
The weakness of the knot is transferred down the fibres and the breakage occurs away from the knot itself.

S

si

after talk with tackle shop geezer i know also realise my rods are totally useless for the job of catching carp as well as my line even tho i got a pb of 12lb today on a john wilson avon. so i know i need new rods but if you were to fish a lake with carp all above 10lb what main line /shockleader /hooklenght would you use or should i get . i understand everything i have done before was s*** and usesless so show me the ways of my errors

C

Carp Angler

A Wilson Avon quiver and a 10lb carp is not useless or unbalanced.
Line strength and rod size should be governed by fish size, weed, snags etc.....

I'd quite happily fish for 10 to 20lb carp with a Wilson and 8lb line, if the water was reasonably clean.

J

jason fisher

got to agree with riks last post there.
you shouldn't be having problems.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

Si be careful the only fish to be caught ain't you matey (by your tackle shop). If there are any issues with your rod then add extra shock absorbers by using a stretch mono as a main line and for the next few session stay clear of braid bottoms. The use of a any braid whatsoever at your early stage carp fishing may hinder the experience required in playing these powerful monsters. Keep the rod, just experiment with the terminal and line side of things. For starters stick with the grinner knot (well wetted) and keep us posted on progress. Anything else bothering you? Good Luck!

S

Stuart Bullard 3

I agree with Rik. I have landed 14lb plus carp on my quiver rod (Shimano Aero medium / heavy with a 3oz tip) using 8lb main (mono) and a 6lb hook link. At no time did I ever feel under gunned and never lost a fish on this set up.

Interested that a break in the middle of the hook length could be down to the knot. Never knew that.

J

jason fisher

once had a 19 on 8lb mainline and 6lb hooklength using a wilson avon quiver while tench fishing and it coped, there were a few hair raising moments but i landed it.

F

Frothey

sounds like someone trying to sell you some gear...ask him if cane rods and 30 year old reels are ok for 50's

S

si

thanks for all the advice lads good to know i can at least carry on with my john wilson rod in the mean time . interesting point on hooklenghts snapping tho rik just for the record the hooklegths were ready tied middy carp meat screw size 12 barbless to 6.1lbs lo-viz flouro-crystal match line. apart from snapping ive had no other problems with them . and stu d can you recomend a good stretch mono ? thanks again for all the advice

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Caught loads of carp margin fishing last year using a float rod with 6.1 Lo-viz mainline and 3.2 Lo-viz hooklength from 9 to 14 lbs,
Maybe you should use the real clutch more ?.
(no offence meant, honest statement).