Catching the Impossible

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
....but who needs a 15lb barbel anyway!!

Well I wouldn't mind for a start...the first barbel I ever caught remains my biggest.And at the time [1971] the record was just over 13lb so my 12 + pounder which would barely raise an eyebrow now was no mean fish.

I can still remember every second of that fish...the date,time [to the minute] the cast,the bite,the fight,the way it bent my landing net pole,the weighing and the horrible sick feeling when I realised that I'd left my camera at home.:(

I'm over it now....not !

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Tee-Cee,

Had many many Barbel from Adams Mill, I caught that record fish 4 times over the years, twice before the Circus turned up, but it wasn't the biggest Barbel there at the time.

Anglers will not be waiting for the swim, most times you go there no one is fishing, it only went that way for a couple of seasons.

That swim is at the lower end of the section, it is much wider at the top end, there is also a cracking back stream, not to be missed.

Reaction score
I have been involved with (still) photography for twenty years and been professional for 15 years (weddings, portraits and stock photography); I have enjoyed some degree of success and of course failure and in the course of time have enjoyed, judged, adjudicated and analysed outstanding photography from others but this morning was in a class of it's own:

What a revelation "Catching the Impossible" is in the world of mediocre TV; I got up early this morning to watch it for the first time and the program is a shining jewel within the mindless rubbish that is regurgitated on TV; Hugh Miles is an outstanding film photographer; his use of light, composition and dynamism was a lesson to any photographer; the sensitive handling of the quarry was perfect for a cynical TV audience; the inclusion of the ever increasing interest in angling by women was timely and right for our PC times; the employment of Bernard Cribbins as narrator was masterly given his well know interest in angling.

What won the presentation over for me was the beautiful intereaction of the angling world and nature that few other interests can offer; I am certain that if "Catching the Impossible" was screened at prime times it would draw very large viewing figures.

Stunning ..... the program makes one feel proud to be involved with angling.

Peter

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Peter, you are in for a treat then. Generally that was considerd the poorest of the episodes by those who bought the DVDs, me included, if I'm honest.

Just wait until you see the next ones, especially the episode on the Avon.

Did you perhaps see Paul Witchers first efforts on Horse and Country Channel last week; Four Seasons on the Hampshire Avon?

Hugh almost has a rival, though I don't see Paul going after the Snow Leopard just yet.

It's been a right good month for TV had June.

Keep it up, you lot !

Reaction score
Is that from the fishing point of view that you thought it wasn't a strong episode or from the photographic view? I think that from the fishing angle you have a point as there wasn't much depth or substance in angling techniques.

Looks as though my alarm clock will be set early for the next few Sunday mornings and no doubt the credit card will soon crackle when I buy the DVDs; I already have the book which although (IMO) is a so-so read isn't a patch on the film.

Peter

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Yes , it was the subject matter that didn't grip me like the others Peter.

I think episode 5 is the Avon one. It was on the DVDs anyway.

I can't remember which one had Chris Yates and the Crucians, has that been on yet?

Stick and 'pin. Crucian Carp. Float fishing next to the lillies.

I don't think it gets any better than that.:)

Reaction score
Maybe from the angling community's point of view there isn't enough substance to keep concentration going too long however the presentation and photography is outstanding and I reckon the series would have had mass public appeal at a prime time.

Nice to see more on TV about angling; years ago I remember the fishing race and I seem to remember John Wilson's series: Go Fishing.

Another great one off was John Bailey and Paul Boote catching Mahseer.

Peter.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
this mornings episode was fascinating. (Sunday morning at 7am? )
I skyplussed it and watched after my match, in which I got battered again.........

The pictures of the pike wafting past the lamprey bait were incredible....................

A

alan whittington

Incredible footage yes,interesting angling presenter no,imo Martin's a great angler,no doubt about it,but not a scratch on Chris Yates and Bob James when it comes to banter and interplay,Bernard Cribbins grabbed the bull by the horns(quite well,as is his way),that said,still nice to see how angling can be shown in a good light to the general public,no wonder there was such an outcry to show the series on terrestrial TV.