Center Pin magic ..or is it ?

greenie62

Reaction score
. . . which is far more associated with auto spell checker than anything else . . .

:eek:FM has an auto spell-checker?! :eek:

BUT we do have an Editor! - who, perhaps should do as most Editors do and correct headline spellings - to ensure that subsequent indexed searches will retrieve the correct articles and posts! :eek:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
S-Kippy,

There are part of the south of England where they prevail, where Splitcane rods, centrepin reels, silly cloths and ridiculous hats are regarded as normal !!

Bob

I'm sure there are isolated pockets, Bob. I confess to getting caught up in this myself years ago but a couple of sessions bankside soon cured me of it. I drew some admiring glances as I sat there with my split cane rod & vintage reels but I soon realised that I was in a play. They still get a very occasional outing but no way in the world would I ever suggest they are "better" than modern gear....because they simply are not.

Silly clothes and ridiculous hats are widespread. Mrs S reckons I wear them all the time !

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I love using a pin to float fish on moving water.

The sum amount of my special "skills".... are mostly concerned with how to handle the reel (and ensure the line doesn't just keep coming off) whilst I'm NOT using it

But the reason for me using it is purely the enjoyment I get from it. It's good fun!! It also tends to make me fish in a slightly more mobile way... if I'm trotting then a seat is probably a waste of time, which means I'm a lot more likely to up sticks and try a different spot, which in turn probably leads to a much healthier day out on the bank.

But no, there's nothing superior about it! Childishness maybe :0)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Greenie, would you feel safe using a site with "Magic" in its name if it didn't have a spell checker? One might wake up as a frog one morning, and have eaten three flies before realising there was a problem.

kenpm

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to have two very good "trotting pins" and an old Rapidex I learned with years ago and I use them on the river when the method suits them because I prefer the "fishing experience" with them and they feed line to a running float easier and with more control than any other reel,if I need to cast any distance,which is rare,I would use a close face reel or even a normal fixed spool to suit.
There is a similar situation in sea fishing with multipliers vs fixed spools,the multiplier takes a little more practice to use and to me they provide that nicer "fishing experience" but fixed spool reels can cast as far and catch just as much they just seem a bit cumbersome in the larger sizes normally used from the shore.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been discussed, does a pin offer far less chance of a line twist than a fixed spool.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been discussed, does a pin offer far less chance of a line twist than a fixed spool.

You should get no twist when using a centrepin unless your bait spins round on the retrieve and that's only the bottom foot of your line.

thecrow

Reaction score
All this talk of how everyone that uses a centre pin reel enjoys it so much has got me thinking about getting one to have a bash.

I wont spend a lot of money (mostly because I haven't got it) on one and have been searching for what seems a decent tool at a reasonable price, I have found one of these Waterline Ikonix Centre Pin - IKX200 on Amazon for under £29, any thoughts anyone?

It doesn't have a line guard on it, will that make a huge difference to a novice pin user?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterline-Ikonix-Centre-Pin-IKX200/dp/B018IK97HK

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm an even greater novice and don't know what a line guard does..........someone?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Crow,

I have both and I would go for the TF reel as you get a line guard with it, which can be taken off if you don't like it !!

Bob

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm an even greater novice and don't know what a line guard does..........someone?

I much prefer, and always use, a pin without a guard although it might be beneficial to some users in windy conditions. Possibly the ones that use a guard could explain why they use it. - also it gets in the way if you want to do a 'Wally' cast................

sam vimes

Reaction score
All this talk of how everyone that uses a centre pin reel enjoys it so much has got me thinking about getting one to have a bash.

I wont spend a lot of money (mostly because I haven't got it) on one and have been searching for what seems a decent tool at a reasonable price, I have found one of these Waterline Ikonix Centre Pin - IKX200 on Amazon for under £29, any thoughts anyone?

It doesn't have a line guard on it, will that make a huge difference to a novice pin user?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterline-Ikonix-Centre-Pin-IKX200/dp/B018IK97HK

Line guards aren't indispensable. They can even become a hindrance to certain casting styles. However, I'd suggest that they can be of some benefit, especially to a beginner. Get a reel with a removable guard and you're laughing. My first few pins didn't have a line guard. Those that I now own that do have line guards have been used with and without them fitted. I just leave them on now.

I'd suggest that you think about what your preferences might be. I appreciate that you may have no idea until you try a pin or two. I know that my own pin journey was a fairly steep, and expensive, learning curve.

I now know that I can't be doing with pins less than 4.5" diameter. However, I also know that not all 4.5" diameter reels are equal. Some reels have such deep arbours that their effective diameters are significantly less than the stated diameter of the reel. My first pin was almost my last as it was too small. I found retrieval to be an excessively slow experience.

I've also learned that my preferred method of retrieval is to poke a "finger through". With some designs this just isn't possible, it's awkward or it's damned uncomfortable, bordering on painful. I can, and do, bat at times. However, I wouldn't want a reel where the only options were to bat or use the handles.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

I much prefer, and always use, a pin without a guard although it might be beneficial to some users in windy conditions. Possibly the ones that use a guard could explain why they use it. - also it gets in the way if you want to do a 'Wally' cast................

Because it cuts down on the number of inevitable centrepin tangles and doesn't inhibit any type of casting. Initially, I wasn't Wallis casting at all, so didn't care if Wallis casting wasn't possible. Once I did learn to Wallis cast, after a fashion, I found the guard made no difference. I suspect that the design of the line guard is rather important in this respect.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Like may on FM i have a number of pins, and I use a pin for most of my fishing where i can.

I also have a Richard Walker Mk IV carp rod, i use it now and then with a pin floater fishing for carp, great fun, and very simple.

Sliding float, Ledgering, etc etc, using a pin is simple and no great skill is needed. Casting will get better the more you use a pin, it's like most of angling, the more you practice the better you get.

Your direct to the line, so there isn't that split second you get with a fixed spool reel, when you turn the handle or flicking the bale arm over, which may result in a lost fish due to a fraction of slack line that can sometimes happen.

The best pin I ever used has to be a Speedia Wide drum, some of the new pins i have had, just didn't come close. As with lots of tackle it's each to their own.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I can cast 25 to 30yds with a bickerdyke guard.....using a superior line such as sensor will make casting much better...guard or not :D :w.

Caged drums do cock up casting as the line can't escape from the reel as it spins but bickerdyke guards have very little hinderace and do help keep the line from blowing around the reel foot or backplate in windy conditions.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I can cast 25 to 30yds with a bickerdyke guard.....using a superior line such as sensor will make casting much better...guard or not :D :w.

Caged drums do cock up casting as the line can't escape from the reel as it spins but bickerdyke guards have very little hinderace and do help keep the line from blowing around the reel foot or backplate in windy conditions.

Yes, I did say that using a guard could help some in windy conditions Ian but each to their own. The worst wind conditions I've known whilst trotting were at the LIF last year when we fished during that 'hurricane'. Thirty/forty mph upstream wind with regular gusts of up to 70mph - the only problem I had was that, when a grayling slung the hook, the float came back twice as fast as usual.:)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, still unsure about spending even £30 on one (must be the Yorkshire bit of me :) )

Bit of a dilemma when buying your first pin. Do you go for a cheaper model in case you don't get on with it or go straight in with something of better quality ? If you go cheaper then you might not get something that does "pin fishing" justice but if you go top dollar straight off and don't like it then that's an expensive way to find out.

That said......if you go cheaper and like it then you will almost certainly end up buying a better quality reel and if that's so then you might have well had the better one in the first place and invested the cost of the cheaper one in that.

I was lucky. I went in at the higher end ( special birthday) and took to it straight away. I do own a cheaper pin but never use it . I don't even remember why I thought I needed it. The rest are all second hand which can be a risk but I've not bought a pup yet and saved a lot of dosh by doing so.

No disrespect to anybody intended but I'd avoid the very,very cheap ones. There are some half decent starter pins out there for not too much money though " quality control" can be a bit of an issue. If you get a decent example it will certainly be good enough to get a feel for their use.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
For those new to using or are thinking of buying a pin can I add my tuppence.

Re previous posts. You really don't need a line guard, just have the line coming off of the top of the reel - it is a bit awkward at first but you will very soon get used to it - you wil definately get less tangles and fish better. For many years (decades) I used a pin with the line coming from the bottom of the reel and can say that it is better when it comes off of the top. I suspect those that say otherwise have never even tried it.

And yes, pins are very enjoyable to use. However; if the presentation is so much better why do match anglers rarely use them?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
And yes, pins are very enjoyable to use. However; if the presentation is so much better why do match anglers rarely use them?

Because all in all ( casting & retrieving) they arent as quick as a fixed spool.

I know some people have the line coming off the top but that just feels plain wrong to me. I've been winding forwards for nearly 50 years and to start winding backwards now is just more trouble than it's worth. Some die hard fly fisherman still have the reel facing right and swap hands to play a fish. What a palaver that is.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, still unsure about spending even £30 on one (must be the Yorkshire bit of me :) )

Got anyone that could lend you a pin for a few sessions?