Centre Pin - Barbel / Bigger Fish

barbelboi

Reaction score
You can even take action shots of grayling with them.................:)

itchen20144_zps381c5c3a.jpg

Reaction score
I hate catching minnows on the pin,they really are a pain when having to 'bat' them in from 20yds downriver.

That grayling liked your pin so much it rose for it Jez?:wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
- a lightweight pin helps...............;)

Yeah, when your old and weak a lightweight reel does help ;) :w.

I knew I had some pic's of a proper lightweight BJ, this is 4inch so smaller and lighter than your heavy clumpy reel....

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This was my first weighed double figure Barbel caught with a centrepin and float, it was the tenth fish of the session. The reel was a allcocks match aerial and unlike the match aerials Neil has seen it never missed a beat.....

barbelboi

Reaction score
You can with chub n'all.....

But you'll note that the better quality chub tend to remain still............;)

Anyway, enough of this frivolity Ian - the rain's stopped and it's time for a stroll to the village pub..........:)

bwchub11jan17_zpslkxctv2o.jpg

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Bl**dy h3ll, all these old boys gettin lippy with each other! It's like someone cancelled dominoes night in the old folks home :D

Anyway, thanks a million all - you've won me over. Be sourcing a new pin for the new season.

Thanks again, much appreciated :D

Reaction score
Must say Tigger,I bought a Match Aerial second hand in the seventies from **** Morris,the match secretary of Vauxhall AC at the time for a fiver,never had a problem with it(only my own ineptitude),and caught many large catches of barbel trotting with it on the Severn.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Must say Tigger,I bought a Match Aerial second hand in the seventies from **** Morris,the match secretary of Vauxhall AC at the time for a fiver,never had a problem with it(only my own ineptitude),and caught many large catches of barbel trotting with it on the Severn.

Yeah, I very much like my match aerials and the only draw backs i've ever found with them is the tendency for the line to go round the reel foot easily and the line dig but other than those two little bug bears I very much like using them.
The match aerials Neil witnessed collapsing must have been seriously nacked as i've found them to be robust, apart from the flaky paint which can only be expected really when you think how old they are.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's a nuisance - what make of line would that be..............:)

Hey up......it was when I tried using fools gold, as soon as I removed the foolish line and replaced it with some proper mono "daiwa sensor" the problem was solved :D.

mikench

Reaction score
I am very pleased with the sensor I have put on my pin, my Abu 501 and now an Abu 507:rolleyes: great line and many thanks to the kind soul who recommended it to me!:wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am very pleased with the sensor I have put on my pin, my Abu 501 and now an Abu 507:rolleyes: great line and many thanks to the kind soul who recommended it to me!:wh

Blimey, a 507......your a sneaky so and so you are Mike ;) :D.

mikench

Reaction score
I really like it Ian and it is so easy to use like the 501. I'll bring it with me when we meet so you can have a play!!:) Out of interest it was on offer at £39.99 which i thought was a good price!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I really like it Ian and it is so easy to use like the 501. I'll bring it with me when we meet so you can have a play!!:) Out of interest it was on offer at £39.99 which i thought was a good price!

It sounds good Mike, I have thought about one myself but for the amount of time I actually use a closed faced reel these days i've just stuck to the 501. I still have an original 506 but the drag is pretty dire and I have lost fish because of it's poor operation.

trotter2

Reaction score
One off the most famous barbel anglers of our time Ford Crouch used nothing but a match aerial for barbel fishing.
If it wast good enought for Fred, us lot should have no problems.:thumbs::)