chod trouble

C

cojo

using the much talked about chod rig in a small weedy water a getting mixed results regarding hook holds and odd takes which fly off but when you pick the rod up into thin air ????????????

does anyone else have similar problems

thanks for any help

colin

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Might be liners Colin?

If your mainline is sat on, or in the weed it could be fish travel through the weed?

I'm no expert, hopefully the carp boys will be able to help you.

C

cojo

it might be I've spoken to over people who have had the same problems

either really good hook holds of phantom runs

Reaction score
The original 2 to 3" pop-up chod rig is flawed by the fact there is no 'give' in it for the fish to suck it back, and therefore a larger number of fish tend to get lightly hooked on the edge of the lips, which means more fish will be lost during the fight than normal. The solution - tho not perfect is to add a 1 to 3" 'hinge' by a joint to a 2nd swivel, this provides the all important extra movement giving better hookholds. It works well. The other thing you can do is play the fish more gently once hooked - especially near the net when a sudden lunge from a light hooked fish is bad news. The reason for 'phantom' runs is almost certainly liners, (and could also be light hooked fish shedding the rig on the strike). You need to use backleads and/or slackline to stop this, tho this is more difficult in weedy waters of course.

C

cojo

thank you morgan for your input

the phantom runs seen abit harsh for liners its afull on toner with a fairly tight baitrunner. i'm fishing slack lines with light bobbins and x line iti think maybe they are doing me before ipick up i've been using the size 6 stiff rigger i think i'll try a 5.

Reaction score
Hi colin,

Could be carp trailing line.. if yours is a snaggy water and fish losses are common then there will probably be carp with rigs in tow.

Also the mechanics of the chod rig work best with a tight line at long range, you may be giving the carp too much free line movement by slack-lining so they can more easily rid themselves of it. Try it with a tight line if possible, might make all the difference!?

F

Frothey

If you believe his writings, Terry Hearn has a lot of success using it with very light leads, and very slack lines..... and why would the range you are fishing athave any bearing on the rigs mechanics? Got to say, I dont use it that often, but when I have the hookholds have been spot on. What sort of baiting situation are you using?

C

cojo

i,m scattering the bait around hoping the fish move around as they feed, it's a small

lake which is recently stocked and the fish have gained weight very quickly feeding on mainly naturals the place is teeming with fresh water shrimps and all sorts of bugs ,maybe they are not taking baits with confidence

Reaction score
I haven't tried using it that much with light leads/slack line nor seen anyone using it that way. I'm not suggesting it wont work like that, but to my way of thinking a tight line will increase the tension on the hook point once the carp has picked it up, thereby giving a better bolt effect. it's true there are so many variables here that we shoulden't state anything as a fact, so I didn't mean to imply that my way is best, just that it works for me the way I use it.. I generally use it with hi vis single hookbaits and mostly at 100m plus range.

F

Frothey

what would you use at 96m? and surely you'll only get a better bolt if the fish moves directly away from you...if it goes sideways or towards you, it wont be any better really than a slack line....

Cojo - the chod is better fished with a light scattering of bait around it, you want the fish to be picking up individual baits, rather than hoovering bait up whilst still tilted. As an aside, i would much rather hook a fish in the bottom lip than back in the mouth, its the toughest part so will give the most secure hookhold. just make sure the hooks are razor sharp.....

C

cojo

i understand your point morgan with a heavier lead and a tighter line you would increase the tension between lead and indicator making less room for the fish to move.

F

Frothey

only if moving directly away...... and fish deal with semi fixed leads suprisingly well. running leads are another thing.....

R

Royffey

seen terry hearn fish one of my local waters a fair bit last year, he recommends max 1oz lead and more often than not lets the hooklink run freely say 6 inches either side of stops, 10 -15mm are his guideline 4 bait size, and swears by the "stiff Rigger" hooks in size 5 , he also bends the shank slightly as he finds this gives afar more positive hook hold,(were his words to me), hope this helps 0h and line very slack indeed maybe even 4ft coiled on the deck. good luck, slack lines /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.

Foxy

Reaction score
have to say ive never got on with this rig and dont like playing fish against a bead when fished up the leadcore, much prefer a withey or shot on the hook when fishing pop ups