Chris Yates

M

MarkTheSpark

None of the papers that support the Labourites are any good

I wouldn't class the Sun as such, but it is absolute rubbish. I'm always amazed that my Italian father-in-law buys it; I once pointed out an opinion piece in the Sun talking about the 'lazy, corrupt eyeties' but even that didn't put him off.

It's only the fact that the Times is owned by the same Aussie scumbag that stops me getting it; I'd rather read the Indie (which has recently got rather good) or the Torygraph than any of the Red Tops.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The Sun is supposed to be a bit right wing isn't it Mark?

Personally I am neither a right winger nor a left winger, maybe a bit right of centre I suppose. I would like to see a newspaper that wasn't connected to any political party that would attempt to report the unbiased truth.

But I guess that is too much to ask.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I baught the Telegraph today just for the C.Yates write up. It was good and was up to his usual standard of writing.

goody

Reaction score
Ron, sounds like you are still reading the Express and "nicking the Times" sounds like stealing, is that now right of centre policy?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Fishing for a big Perch and caught a Pike instead Eddie. I was just glad it wasn't the usual success story that we read about.

Beecy

Reaction score
theres absolutely nothing wrong with the Sun, Star, Sport

why is there so much snobbery over what paper someone buys ?

as graham said, if you want to know serious news you watch TV, listen to radio or look on the net.

I buy the Sun every day, for the same reason as everybody else who buys it, its a bit of light entertainment for ten minutes over a bacon sarnie and a coffee before starting work. and everybody 'reads' it in the same order - check the football results,transfer news/rumours, rate the lungs of the p3 bird, catch up on Striker, have a chuckle at dear dierdre then flick through for any interesting photos of nickerless popstars climbing out of limo's, then its in the bin.

clam

Reaction score
Will C.Yates article in the Telegraph appeal to non anglers.I think he is a great story writer and if i buy a magazine with him in it i will always turn to his article first.

goody

Reaction score
Here here Beecy and poor old Ron still reading that right wing crap in the Express.

M

MarkTheSpark

This thread is quite a way off General Fishing now, gentlemen. Maybe it's time to restart it on Bait Box or return to the subject of Chris Yates writing for the Torygraph.

I was hideously close to posting on the subject of the political leanings of Adolf Murdoch, and stopped myself just in time

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have dearly liked to have read the first contribution from Yates in the Telegraph - another one of the 'pains' of working away from home.

Given Chris' recent books, I think he is probably the best author around to appeal to the non-anglers (poor souls) out there.

A non-angling friend of mine borrowed 'A Secret Carp' and 'How to Fish' recently and has become so 'hooked' that I will be taking him on his first ever fishing trip when the new season commences.

Ron said:
" . . maybe a bit right of centre I suppose."

Yeah, right - you and Ghengis Khan both, I suppose ;-)

B

Brendan Ince

i buy the sun because i like the sports section and my local telegraph ( because it has more info on my local team )also the sun has only bean 20 p around hear for about 6 months if they can do it why carnt all the other papers? i know the times use to do it a few years ago where you could get mondays paper for 10 p i used to buy it but only for the sports bit tbh as for the now i belive if you buy the sun there isnt a sunday sun if you like big brother and the soaps ( i dont ) they are the biggest thing on telly atm so yes they are going to report them ?
one last point i used to be in the forces and the sun did alot for are guys in the gulf and i suppose thet might be another reason i buy it ?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I tried to get the Chris Yates column up on the Daily Telegraph site and nothing comes up, not under fishing, not under angling or under Chris Yates, neither is he listed as a Telegraph contributor. How strange.

M

MarkTheSpark

I did the same, with the same result, Graham. I can feel an order for the Torygraph with the local newsagent coming on...

And with the greatest respect for the free choice Brendan should exercise for his reading material, the reason the Sun is 20p is because it's cr*p.

I had two tyres fitted Friday by a bloke who was bemoaning that he hadn't had a pay rise for six years and is barely over the minimum wage, and there on his desk was The Sun - run by a man who would dearly love every bit of his colossal empire to be run on the minimum wage.

Why anyone thinks The Sun speaks for the common man is a mystery to me; it's like the Roman amphitheatre, designed to take the mind of the common man off the subject of why rich people are getting richer and working men poorer.

Damn, I knew I couldn't resist politicising this thread.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Do you know Mark, I tend to agree.

The Express has campaigned far more for the common man than most of the other papers, especially against the iniquitous Inheritance Tax!

Yes give them: "Bread and Circuses" and the common man will be happy!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"The Express has campaigned far more for the common man than most of the other papers......."

My father was a staunch Labourite all his adult life, and a trade union official for many years, but he always maintained that the Express was the best newspaper for 'unbiased' reporting.

And had it delivered every issue day.

goody

Reaction score
What's wrong with inheritance Tax Ron, when you are dead you do not own a bean.

If I have got money to give away best to give it to my children and granchildren while they are still young that's when they need it most.

Mind you, think it is the Express who are running their nasty little campaign against inheritance Tax. As you are an avid Express reader i feel sure you will be aware of that.

F

Fred Bonney

I keep telling him that,spend it Ron.
There are no pockets in shrouds!

I don't think he's got any though...money that is. ;o)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Interesting than isn't it Merve.

In my local, the two most common papers you see are The Sun and The Express.

Both papers strongly deprecate The Labour Party!!