Chub Fishing - Early Season Observations

beerweasel

Reaction score
A very enjoyable read that Christian.
Wooster's photography skills just get better. :D

dannytaylor

Reaction score
great article. enjoyed reading that, some great photos and the quote from Mr Walton at the end was a nice touch.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I wouldn't disagree with a word of that, Christian! Excellent piece...I was almost there, 5" slug with the go-faster stripe putting a discernable bend in my cane Avon before casting. Thanks.

murv

Reaction score
Fantastic article, thank you :)
Fascinated by your observation that some fish are very rarely caught, in my local river there are some positively enormous Chub (by my standards anyway, certainly approaching 6lbs) but they just never seem to come out.
I will certainly give being mobile more of a go, stalking isn't really an option due to lack of water clarity but dropping a snail in a few likely looking swims certainly is.

chav professor

Reaction score
I am glad you mentioned water clarity Murv, a method i have used to great effect in cloudy water is what I call the disappearing meat trick. Drop a bait into the water and watch its decent. you get used to the rate of fall and watch for the bait to 'disappear'.... Works equally well with bread!

When I dropped meat into a swim in the close season, I was surprised how little, if any, actually reached the bottom!

The beauty of stalking is that so long as you travel light, you can cast into as many likely looking swims in a day as possible - they can definitely home in on the sound of a bait 'plopping' into their immediate vicinity.

Can't emphasize enough how important it is to have the bail arm open ready to give line on a snatching take....

Trust me, clear water is both a blessing and a curse.... All the bigger fish have now dissapeared from sight....... Thats small river fishing for you!

murv

Reaction score
Thanks for that, shall give that a try :)

That reminds me actually, few Years ago I was checking out a new club water, well, new to me, anyway.
It was close season and I'd just gone down for a look.
It was a tiny river, more of a stream in places and I was standing on the road bridge gazing in when I remembered I had a peice of pork pie in the car.
It was quite a big piece, but it had been rolling around on the floor of the car so I didn't want to bite a bit off so just lobbed the whole lump in to see if any Chub would appear to peck at it.
Almost immediately, a vast, submarine like Chub appeared from the murky water and swallowed the whole thing in one go as I watched on in utter disbelief.

Needless to say I was down there before first light on opening day and spent many further days fishing down there.
Sadly I was too new to Chub fishing to really stand a chance and never caught anything bigger than a few oz's.
Would probably fare a lot better now but the club gave the stretch up (as they have with many river stretches) as it just didn't get fished by anybody else.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Loved every word, I wish I lived near my flamin rivers.... Real fishing Christian, keep it up, we need all the timeless old school we can get

cg74

Reaction score
As ever, an enjoyable read, cheers Christian. Needs saying though; all those 5lbers, yet no 6's - you must try harder!;):)

chav professor

Reaction score
6's!!! I'm bl**dy trying.....:D.... been out since lunch time and got back in at 1:05am!! lol. A lot of effort for a couple of littlen's.....

Last edited:

tesco value

Reaction score
Great piece Christian. After reading that it just makes me want to be on the Suffolk Stour with nothing but a rod, net and bag of bait. Stalking chub is one of the most exhilarating forms of fishing and those moments between a fish taking the bait and the line ‘skating’ across the water before you finally hit the bite are pure excitement. Interesting bait choices as well. And a superb quote from Izaak at the end!