Close season

G

Geoff Cowen

No! You are all catching Carp through the closed season - I bet!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You can't have just 'yes' or 'no' answers to this question of the closed season when there are so many of us who are neither one thing or the other.

If you want short answers then the choice should be:

Yes

No

Modified

B

Bully

As said in my earlier note, I go with modify. Not sure how it would work but I'd leave it to the "owners" to determine a "fallow" period.

Perhaps during and just after spawning? Problem is species spawn at different times. I also think you need to consider wider wild life aspects.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Same as Bully, by letting clubs, owners and fishery managers do what's best for their own waters. They have a vested interest and won't open waters when damage can be done.

But neither will they close them just to comply with some antiquated law that some people want for no other reason than to appease the antis and the general public. We should legislate for us, not for them. They don't fish.

J

jon helyer

What about waters that are owned by the EA? Such as the majority of our river banks....having a close season of sorts does also allow clubs to do maintanence work when no anglers are present......

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ok, modified, but how many commercials will close given the choice? They have the choice now! And don't close! Money talks, fish don't!

Guy Baxendale 2

Reaction score
Modified - dates that actually protect the fish when they are spawning and for a while afterwards. Close Season from mid may to the beginning/mid July or something along those lines. Think the present dates are wrong but the principle of a rest is a good idea.

Although this year is driving me mad ahhhrrrrrrrrrr