Closed Season

R

Ron Clay

I fully agree with keeping a close season on rivers, although I have often thought it should be tweaked somewhat - to May June and July.

I despair when I read that rivers may just be increasingly stocked with carp. There are enough pollutants in our rivers already without adding to filth that exists from factories, sewage works, run off from farm land and sheep dips etc.

We don't need more carp, in fact we now should consider mass carp extermination, especially in the hundreds of small ponds that are creating festering sores like an epidemic of pox on our green and pleasant land these days. {:eek:{

R

Rodney Wrestt

If during the close season anglers are not permited to cast a line ensuring tranquility and the break is to ensure that the wildlife and foliage can recover and reproduce, birds can nest and raise their brood, plants grow over the poular swims.....why can cyclists, boatowners, football teams on training excercises, kids on drugs and drink and bird feeders still wander the bank doing as they please, is it only anglers who cause damage. Or is it only anglers who care?

D

Dave Johnson

I read that the standard approach for Barbel in some areas of Europe is via nymph fishing.....
now where's my 10lb flouro links-I'm off down the Dove!!!!!!

D

Dave Feeney

I think a close season on carp puddles would be a good idea!! give the poor sod's a chance to swim out into open water, instead of cowering up against the far side, waiting for the weekend onslaught.
As for rivers I thought the close season was 12 months, never seem to see another angler on them or hardly.:) :)

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Yipeeeeeeeeeee.

3 months break to catch up on all the little things that need doing round the house and garden, like putting the wall back up that I took down on June 15th last year, like plumbing in the bath that I disconnected on June 15th last year, like reaasembling the lawn-mower which I took apart on June 15th last year.

Who am I kidding. Lets get rid of this antiquated law and leave it up to the anglers who run the fishing rights on venues as to when or if they close the season.

I just know I'm gonna get slaughtered for this view but there we are.

P

Paul Williams

Gary,
About Rik, thought perhaps we could get Graham to stun him with his wallet first....no need for violence that way....just the sight of Graham getting it out would stun him!!
Alan,
Stuff those spotted vermin catchers!
Murray,
Any chance of an article about how to reassemble a lawn mower!?

S

Steve Baker

Quote "I fully agree with keeping a close season on rivers, although I have often thought it should be tweaked somewhat - to May June and July."

"We don't need more carp, in fact we now should consider mass carp extermination, especially in the hundreds of small ponds that are creating festering sores like an epidemic of pox on our green and pleasant land these days. {:eek:{"

Can we please have reasons for the above RUBBISH!

ron lander

Reaction score
I like ron clays mass carp extermination plan - one way to get rid of em is to introduce some 200 lb catfish into these carp lakes and the rivers. Just imagine fishing for catfish on the Severn with a 10 lb carp livebait.

Seriously though, when there were 4 million anglers the rivers needed a break, nowadays we number around 1.1 million. I always fish the severn on weekdays (cos of the weekend BAA matches) and I can honestly say that when I have been fishing my car has been the only one in the car park in EVERY instance. So my argument is 75% less anglers = no need for a close season.

S

Steve Baker

Its just a step to your right! and swing your knees in timmmmmeeee!

A

Alan Roe

Alan,
Stuff those spotted vermin catchers........

Oi Brummie!!!!Spotted vermin ???? Oh you mean young Yam Yams!!!! I thought catching and cageing those brutes should be a national duty!!

:-D

D

Dave Feeney

Your spot on Ron," only car in the car park", the lack of anglers on the river bank is one reason the cormorants are there, nice peacefull fishing.. for them!!! walk down to any river and they fly off before you get to 100yds of them, also one reason I carry a mobile, if you ever needed help quickly you would more than likly be on your own.
In the 70's,a 1000 anglers fished a single match on the rivers, so they needed a rest, now you need a machete to get near to the bank.
If the rivers were ever under that kind of pressure then fine have a break, close them for 3 mths, but I think it may be time to re-think the close season on rivers or leave it up to the controlling clubs who know how much pressure each area of river is getting.

ron lander

Reaction score
It makes no sense at all to have a close river season now. Most coarse anglers fish the lakes & canals. Whilst the minority of us river anglers (although I love tench fishing at plaes like Larford and the Shimano lakes near Oxford) are not allowed on them. Mind you the way the Severn has fished this year...

D

David Will

I cannot see clubs upping their prices to cover increased rents on 12 months fishing on rivers when no one is fishing them as it is.

P

Paul Williams

200lb cats in the Severn? drool slurp!.....i could practice on the steamboats, no close season on them!!

A

Andrew Thomas

I'm lucky in that I can get out on to prime stretches of the middle Severn and Teme at least twice a week for short sessions, and sometimes I go more often than that. Since the start of the year I don't suppose I have seen more than 12 anglers. What exactly are the rivers being protected from?

It would make more sense to have a 3 month moratorium on carp puddles to protect the poor buggers mouths, if my experience is anything to go by.

K

Keith Manger

Had a brilliant day yesterday on my local stream, very shallow and narrow, could see the bottom right across the stream, had 10 hungry chub to 3 lb in 2.5 hours none of them showed any sign of spawning, but cannot fish it for another 3 months, roll on sense and the end to the closed season on rivers - unless the controlling club sees any serious benefit for imposing it (besides silly sentiment).

come-on crucify me!!

S

Steve Plant

Most rivers are under fished, a few stretches on certain venues are severely overfished, getting attention in the same swims day after day for the whole season. I know it's easy to say that the controlling club or even individual anglers should be able to say when & if a break is needed, but in reality, would this happen? Individual anglers can be selfish (especially where big fish are involved) and controlling clubs can bow to the pressure placed upon them by their members.

In my opinion river fishing is all about getting away from the crowds - the least fished a venue is the better. I know many places where the fish and other wildlife would not suffer one but if I were to go there in April or May (yes, I'd probably blank anyway!), but there are other places where the fish just DESERVE a break. Let them be just for a few months. They'll still be there next year. There is plenty of other stuff to do in the river close season, if you want to...

C

Chris Bishop

On a slightly different note, I unhooked my last pike of the season just before 3pm on the 14th.

By 4pm I was in Do-it-All.

By 5pm I had a paintbrush in my hand.

Is this a record..?