Coaching Kids with Special Needs

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date

simon yorke-johnson

Reaction score
Thanks JK and to all of you for your positive vibes!
Am just about to finish teaching these guys as term is finishing and the funding has run out. So no more Fishing in the Community :(
13 out of 14 have passed their course and will get accredited on the Open College Network ~ Fishing in The Community Course. The guys will all be invited to a presentation at a barn at the local farm , with tea and buns etc (strictly no booze or grass guys!)where they will be presented with their certificates and some prizes; rig wallets, thermal gloves and flasks. We will have a jolly old time and send them packin' with a song in their hearts...blah blah blah and hope to God they stay out of trouble.
I'm setting up on my own, I can't be bothered relying on grants from the EU but I'm going to try and fund it another way.

As a start I'm offering 2 free coaching sessions to my two local Primary schools as an incentive. Hopefully to get my name known. I've offered my services to the local teachers associations cheaply as team building activities.
I'm looking to work in a special school and run a 1 day a week fishing course in the afternoons, to include all that "bleedin' reading and writin' stuff" in the morning. (Might be fun.....might not.... :))
Have been interviewed with a view to running one or two days at the local PRU (Pupil referral unit) for fishing practical and theory sessions for the local council.
I might even manage to pay the mortgage!

I still teach literacy and numeracy privately in the evenings as well. Sadly I'm frightened to bend over at times, in case somebody shoves a broom where the sun doesn't shine and expects me to sweep up at the same time. No seriously... I'll be busy from September onwards again, hopefully 5 days per week (at least 3 fishing!!!)
Now what can I do over the summer? Ah yes.. Go fishing!!!!
Am running two, one day courses with the Environment Agency in National fishing week and am providing two days coaching for groups of kids from Brighton estates. Have worked with these before... tough but fun. I really look forward to these.
Could do with a bit more work though , throughout the summer to keep the pennies coming in.
I expect the local lake owner, Trevor P, will pass on some contacts before the hols, otherwise I'm 'out on the streets selling me bod'' (not a pretty sight!)
Have a funny to tell you all in the next post.

simon yorke-johnson

Reaction score
I greeted a group of young people before a coaching session as they got out of their minibus. Some spoke, some grunted, one said, "you're a fat cxxt". Which I tactfully ignored. (thinking of at least thirty medieval tortures I could introduce him to in a practical way!)I'm sure if I took hypnotherapy and regressed I'd have been Vlad the Impaler's Sidekick.
Smiling sweetly I introduced them to the finer points of Health and safety, Weil's disease and the need to wash their hands before eating etc etc. The Charmer, as I will now refer to him, muttered, "Do I need to wash my hands before and after a Pxss then?"
"Do as you wish." I replied. The kid looked a little peaky anyway, I think he was suffering with hay fever.
We had a short walk to the training lake, during which the Charmer; threw a can into the bushes, rolled a fag, gobbed every two paces and impressed upon everyone in the group exactly 'how effing 'ard 'e wos'.
We had to skirt around a rather large chalky puddle , which he did with consummate ease, (God wasn't working at that moment, as he didn't answer any of my prayers)and threw a rock into the puddle showering two of the girls with water.
Upon reaching the lake he announced, "Maggots! Maggots I ain't touching no effing maggots!" and recoiled in horror as one of the girls picked up a handful and held them for a while, he scampered off to the far side of the lake for another fag, two pints of spit and a lots of embarrassed shuffling in the bushes.
Fishing went well. He had sweetcorn and luncheon meat as bait. Needless to say the girls caught most, handled most fish (he wouldn't touch the fish either!)Back at the cabin for lunch still sneezing and gobbing, the Charmer announced he'd washed his hands and set about his lunch. Half way through he complained of feeling ill and sat aside, complaining of feeling sick.
At this point the youth worker with the group, a twinkle in her eye, asked me what the symptoms were for Weil's disease. "Oh" I said casually, "you know, feeling sick, runny nose, lots of phlegm......". You could have heard a pin drop.
I consoled the Charmer, later in the day by whispering, "even the fat bloke and the girlies could manage the maggots... and by the way... get a check up at the doctors if the symptoms continue.
Naughty of me I know but I can't resist a wind up. I'm an angler after all.

simon yorke-johnson

Reaction score
Well, fishing in the community scheme has now finished for the year. All we have to do now is the presentation. 14 out of 15 got their accreditation, which means that bar anything else they can show a prospective employer a certificate to say they stuck at it and got a Level 1 award.
That's what it's all about...proving to them that they're worth it!
Have already booked up with three new groups for next year. I've already been warned by 'teachers' that these kids are 'difficult'. Should have no problem with 'em then! I'm sure some of the teachers should get out more! (fishing I mean!)

All your positive comments have meant a tremendous amount to me, as several years back I had contemplated jacking it all in!
I still have a huge amount to learn about kids (I've only been teaching 20 ish years) and even more about angling (35+years). It's all about lifelong learning and life skills.

I've just written to Brian Salter MP suggesting that he has a word in Gordon's shell-like to encourage all schools to link up with angling coaches. On top of the suggested 5hours per week competitive sport idea! Let's face it, you don't have to kick seven shades out of each other on a footie pitch to be competitive. 5 hours a week angling in teams for prize rankings and t shirts stirs up enough competitive spirit I reckon.
I'm even getting the guys to compete for extra bait vouchers for follow up sessions; to add a little spice to the proceedings.
If Gordon's five hours sport per week gets underway and we can promote ourselves and our sport in a positive way, there may well be openings for coaches in most of the schools in the country. Now there's a thought; what a way to make a living!

I've also written to the PAA suggesting an accreditation scheme or some sort of award scheme that coaches can offer to kids, if they want to 'advance' their angling skills. Naturally it would be free, after a small registration fee, but would mean that the kids come back time and again for tests and 'new' lessons.

Well that's all for now. I'm sure I'll save a few special stories for future postings. To those of you who have signed up as coaches; I wish you all well.

Mark Oliver

Reaction score
This is a blinding revelation! My 7 yo son is Dyspraxic and literally bounces through life. I took him fishing (I haven't done a lot of fishing since I was a kid) and he stood, casting lures like a pro for an hour and a half! Solid, hypnotic concentration!

We live in Brighton, can you offer some advice on places and types of fishing that would suit?

Mark Oliver

Reaction score
Thanks Simon, looks good. I'll bring the lad down when the weather calms down a little