Coarse/Course Fishing??

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
My 'favourite' is pearch, closely followed by 'lamphrey'.

Both of these gems say a lot about pike fishing, which does seem to attract the slow among us, somewhat more than most other coarse applications.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Of course, it's 'coarse' to make the point that these aren't game fish, which make fine eating. Coarse as in 'unpalatable'. I'm irritated when I see 'ledger' too. It's nothing to do with bookkeeping.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
blimey I thought it was legder :wh

I've heard a convincing story as to why it should be spelled 'leger.' One is that, in pre-Victorian times, it was common to fish using a 1lb weight like an anchor and then periodically haul the self-hooked fish out - bolt-rigging, I suppose.
Then someone in France hit upon the idea of a light weight and watching for bites - the French for 'light' is 'leger.'

r1paul

Reaction score
My 'favourite' is pearch, closely followed by 'lamphrey'.

Both of these gems say a lot about pike fishing, which does seem to attract the slow among us, somewhat more than most other coarse applications.

Andrew , you are a " t *ss*r " , would the spelling be right ?

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
My phone has email with predictive text which often has me angling for barbells :)
It's not that important though. I would rather have the opinions of 100 blokes on the forum who don't care about spelling than only have 5 with English degrees to talk to. It's about fishing, not grammer. One of the best anglers I know is a useless speller and the best carp angler I know can barely write his own name!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Totally agree Geoff, as long as the post is understandable (is that a proper word? It looks wrong?) that's all that matters...

Remember it like this.

Freshwater coarse anglers are ruffe.

Golfers are way off course, of coarse (in the ruffe) if you know what I mean? ;)

Philip

Reaction score
Ron the use of the word coarse in fish terms, is considered to come from the fact that most coarse fish look and feel ruff, or is rough, to the touch and sight. But as with all things, there are exceptions, Tench for instance. Game fish don't have this appearance.

Nothing to do with peoples education, just out of interest is that right ?

I have been asked a few times by non anglers why its coarse fishing and I really dont know ! I thought it was due to coarse fish being bad/coarse tasting to eat ?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
There is a certain amount of spelling etiquette required when writing, or typing out sentences, stories, etc, due to it being very off putting when you are reading it to yourself.

It doesn't bother me when there is the odd Typing mistake, or the odd Spelling mistake, when it does really get on my Nerves is, when you are reading a Story, or a Long passage of writing, and it is just so badly spelt, or there are no Punctuations.

dezza

Reaction score
I don't think the term "coarse" has anything to do with how a fish eats. In the days before the Industrial Revolution, species such as pike, perch. gudgeon, grayling and even dace were regarded by the gentry as far more edible than trout or salmon.

Salmon particularly were often regarded as being good only for the peasants.

Zander by the way are one of the tastiest fish of all.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
In Victorian times, the quarry of a gentleman was defined as 'game' including partridge, deer, hares, and of course, salmon, seatrout and brown trout. That left the remainder of freshwater fish as unworthy of a gentleman. But these (coarse) fish are much more common and that is the meaning of 'coarse' i.e. 'common' or 'inferior'. Bear in mind that angling/fishing pressure and increasing pollution in the 19th century would have reduced the number of waters holding game fish making those that remained more desirable and exclusive.

Ledger comes from lidger which is a book that lies in one place which is what our fishing weight does. From old English licgan, to lie. It seems the leger form is because both spellings have been in common use for a long time so that no one's sure which is correct.