Collecting Worms and Head Torches

agamemnon

Reaction score
ive tried loads of head torches and the energizer 3 led torch is prob the best ive tried. the torch has 2 power settings and the batteries last a fair amount of time.
when getting the worms dont shine the torch direct at the worm or it will go underground at a pretty fast rate.
i also find it better if you have a bucket with ripped damp newspaper in it. next morning change all the paper for fresh damp paper and you should find the worms have lost any soapyness from the washing up liquid

nicky

Reaction score
instead of trying to grab them with two fingers i find its best to pin them to the ground with one finger, which is easier than trying to grab them whilst they are shooting back down their hole, then with your spare hand grab the trapped worm then pull it out.

B

Berty

nicepix

Reaction score
ive tried loads of head torches and the energizer 3 led torch is prob the best ive tried. the torch has 2 power settings and the batteries last a fair amount of time.
when getting the worms dont shine the torch direct at the worm or it will go underground at a pretty fast rate.

That's why I recommended a red beam torch. They don't react to red light in the same way as white light. When I was a kid and head torches were only used by miners, I used an old bike lamp with a red lens. Worked a treat.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been snitching lobs for more than fifty years for my own use and resale . I used a red back bike lamp for many years taped to the back of my hand a RED light is essential if you do not want to put most of the worms down. If were to use a head lamp now it would be a PETZL E+LITE on the red beam . Do not take the lobs that are coupled they will not store and you are cutting your own throat in the long run. Happy back ache:D

=

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Not lobs though Peter, and nothing beats the humble lob in my opinion, i never use the washing up liquid trick either, yes it works but i worry that it may contaminate the bait and maybe put fish off.

I used to use this method as a kid but I was also worried about tainting the bait.

I think that if I was going to use it I would keep them in some moss or damp newspaper for a few days first.

haynesy

Reaction score
Hi, Steph, have you tried fishing with prawns for perch? i have had lots of success with them at my local, the perch love them!! wack em on and give them a go, i find them alot better than worms, a bit pricey but worth it, carp and tench will go for them aswell, hope this helps you mate :)

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I would like to use a few different baits to see what they prefer on any given day, so Prawns would be a nice alternative. Thanks.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not lobs though Peter, and nothing beats the humble lob in my opinion, i never use the washing up liquid trick either, yes it works but i worry that it may contaminate the bait and maybe put fish off.

Night collection is the best, failing that i send for them.

Never used washing up liquid either - as they come up naturally after dark on wet grass (or if it hasn't rained a hose on the grass prior) never saw the point.
Jerry

B

Berty

i also find it better if you have a bucket with ripped damp newspaper in it. next morning change all the paper for fresh damp paper and you should find the worms have lost any soapyness from the washing up liquid

Have you tasted them? lol

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have you tasted them? lol

I have heard of people doing this but havig a bucket of water to wash them in asap the thing is you are taking off what attracts the fish to the worm. I you have a pond or better still a fish tank get a nice fresh worm from the garden and put it in a wine glass half filled with water leave for a few minutes. Then take the worm out and empty the water into the tank or the pond and watch the fish react. I do not think you will use fairy again.