Comment on the Beginners and Improvers Section from Vince Battams

G

Gerry Castles

CA, It's fair to say that there are little groups of people all over the forums who very obviously know each other and fish together and in that respect might be seen as 'cliquey' But if their experience is anything like mine the group of people that I fish with and now regard as friends, I met through the internet. In my case the group gets bigger every year and the newcomers are all people that found us via the internet and websites such as these. Cliques tend to shut out everyone else, that's what makes them cliques. I would hope we all strive to do precisely the opposite, so it's a little unfair to be described as part of a clique. If you want to join the group, join in the conversation that's all it takes.

P

Phil Hatton

Speaking as a relatively inexperienced angler in many areas I'd like to comment on this.I have,over the last year or so intruded on all the threads that interested me ,asked stupid questions and recieved good answers.I've learnt a lot and met some good blokes.If there is a clique then it's so exclusive even the people that are in it don't know!!!.The new section is to be welcomed there's far too much knowledge out there to share any way you can.

D

David Bruce

I have just looked in this new section as being new to carp fishing I was interested in the question about carp rods. Unfortunatly all the discussion was by people similar to myself looking for help. Come on you experts do reply to the beginnr/improver threads. Or perhaps the answer is to close the Beginner/improvers section as only beginners and improvers regularly look in and just get the questions in the other areas where it grabs more attention / will get opened more frequently by knowledgable anglers?

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Since I have been visiting this site I've seen numerous questions quite obviously from inexperienced anglers.
Occasionally there is a reply which I would read and think,
"Thats a bit harsh,the guy is obviously a novice and a reply like that will not encourage him at all".
Fortunately this is the exception to the rule.
I think the beginners section is a good idea
and I shall certainly be visiting it to try and help out and probably learn something aswell!!
To get on my high horse I will repeat what I have said on postings numerous times.
We MUST stick together and encourage newcomers to our sport. They are the future and we should make every effort to make sure that they become "Hooked".
If we dont get enough newcomers to the sport it will slowly erode all of the good work which has been done in the past.
This sport is becoming ever more technical so its hardly surprising that there are "daft"questions asked.
Answer these questions and do the questioner and yourself a favour by doing so.

A

Andrew Miller

Personally i think it a good thing as long as the question by the beginier is properly answered. There have been many time when someone had posted a question on the other forum and it went completely off track by other poster who thought it was a good time to make a joke (often very funny!) and other joined in completley forgotten the orginal poster question. Obviouslty it all fun and loads of micky taking and tongue in cheek which is brilliant at time . Maybe this begininer forum can be taken slightly more seriously to answered their question.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
David, come on, be fair, the questions on the beginners section haven't been up that long and most of the lads on the forum who are likely to answer the questions have got a job to do. Give them chance to find the questions and they'll answer them. You can't expect them to be sat there waiting to pounce immediately on every question that's asked.

D

David Bruce

Graham
i take your point but just wonder if the questions are better in the more general areas as they will get more attention there. There doesnot seem to be any problemns with them being answered from these areas in the past.

M

Mick Fleet

Cor blimey!......its the first ive looked at this thread and what a response!
Ile get straight down to brass tacks here and say the reason i asked for a beginners forum was simple.............to help out those who need it!!
No hidden agenda....no hideing the beginners in one place.......no alterior motive.
Manys the time ive witnessed so called experts who, through their god like status have concidered themselves to high and mighty to help out people with advice when asked.
Gerry hit the nail on the head when he mentioned a popular predator web site, of which i regularly (used) to post, and where the high and mighty "names" did not help out once in the beginners forum as far as i can remember.
That attitude as far as im concerned stinks, because these guys were beginners once and needed help, which im sure they got (unless thet were born with all the pike catching abilitys and skills they needed).
Hmmmmmm.
And ive also seen on other sites the intimidation that beginners have indured when they have asked for help on general boards.
When i approached graham about the beginners forum i told him that this site appeared to be very user friendly and that is why i approached him with the idea of a beginners forum, so that those who may have had bad experiances from other web sites, or were perhaps a bit shy to ask questions, could do so without the fear of either being blanked totaly, or ridiculed (appologies for any spelling mistakes!).
Anyway, if this forum helps just one person to enjoy our sport and have a better understanding of it, then its worked.
Mick.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
David, the questions would get answered in the General forum, and any of the other forums, of that there is no doubt, but the main reason for introducing a Beginner's forum is to encourage those who want to ask questions rather than those who want to answer them.

S

Stuart Bullard

Been away on holiday so only just seen this.

Great idea Graham, now I have somewhere to post! Must think of an alias though.....

Seriously, I think it certainly worth a try, although I don't think there have been any real issues about "novice" questions.

So wot is a rod then? And wot is that spikey thing at the end?

A

Andrew Miller

Rod is a singer and he alway had spikey hair .....well you did ask Stuart

V

vince battams

I got a vague email stating "cat - pigeon put these two words in a well known phrase", oops it seems i did well and truly so i am hoping now its safe to come back in and comment further, yes dave i have been quiet and no paul not a sad view maybe i should have worded my post a little better.
Firstly, my apologies to Graham as i feel i have offended him in his efforts to improve further still fishings number one website, the comments i raised about there being a clique fraternity were slightly misunderstood and worded by myself in a non constructive manner.
The way i should have put it was does this site really need yet another forum to segregate anglers further as i felt at the time and still that the anglers in the know would probably be less likely to enter this new forum to give advice as i have come across on the bank many a time over the years, there have been comments raised that are in agreement with this but from looking at all comments raised it seems i should have looked at this from a beginners point of view [i was one once also, to my mates still am] that i would be less likely to post a comment in a normal forum for fear of embarassment and because of this new forum will be greatly encouraged to post comments, i just hope then that my comment that those in the know will be less likely to enter this new forum is proved wrong.
To end on a comment raised by birds nest yes i have always had a good response to my requests and questions which makes me feel worse for not wording my original comments a little better in the first place.
Again to those who i have unintentionally offended i apologise and hope you can understand my views a little better this time round.

D

Dave Johnson

lay off the Stella fella.......

I knew what youmeant sort of......but Iv'ehad 3900ml's of Stella........ha ha .....

D

Dave Johnson

since when has nearly 4 litres been 2 pints then Stu......

D

Dave Johnson

Stu and Brummty'said you were a shandy bloke though......lol.

i should be tying rigs upo but Icant see properley....