Confused

barbelboi

Reaction score
do you think that they are more likley to take them just after spawning when they need to quickly replace energy they have used up, its an idea i have had for ages but never had the gonads to try.

Yes, minnows as bait seamed to be most sucessful during the first few weeks of the season - never had much luck in the latter part. I haven't used minnow specifically for barbel for some years now and, although I use it quite often for chub, have not caught a barbel on it recently by mistake either.
Jerry

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I just find the often used category of 'pleasure fishing' odd. All recreational fishing is done for pleasure.

It is often used instead of saying 'general coarse fishing'

------

No it's not.

I was out in all that rain last night and it was Hard Work, but as a Specimen Angler I had too fish.

Dedicated Specimen Hunting is about fishing in ideal conditions for the Species you are targeting, warm, thundery and raining in this case.

I hate the Rain and getting wet, it's not " Recreational " it's hard work and having stood in the pouring rain playing a fish that took me through every weed bed on the lake before straightening the hook.

It was not pleasure.

Please don't ask me why I do it, because I have no answer, except the challenge of " Being There ", which many Pleasure Anglers find hard to understand.

Oh and Minnows are brilliand bait for so many species !!

Bob

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
We found minnow a good bait early season
And not only minnows for barbel -

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2041-met-french-guy-ireland-last-year-alban-he-catches-barbel-lures.jpg

What about lures as well?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nice pic Jeff, but was it taken in the UK. I know Spanish barbel react to lures and even surface feed (fall to a dry fly etc.)?

barbelboi-albums-c1-picture2735-barbel-fly-2.jpg

Last edited:

jdaniels

Reaction score
I would just like to thank me hornegold for his response as it covered a lot that I was going to say, I just enjoy the "pleasure" fishing in the summer months when I have the odd day off :) am definitely going to try the minnow for the chub. Thanks for the help.

little oik

Reaction score
It just pleases me when I go fishing :w cannot be doing with the stress at all those matches