Daiwa, Shakespeare, Shimano etc.

R

Rob Brownfield

Now, let me first state that this is not a dig at any company or anyone.

Right, having travelled extensively in Asia and Australasia, plus surfed like mad on American websites, it has become apparent that some of the bigger companies offer far superior reels and rods to there overseas clients compared to the UK. Shimano do some amazing reels that are perfect for Carp/Pike/lure fishing, but we just don't see them. Shakespeare do some amazing bits of kit, much better than what I have seen in the UK, better finished etc. but once more, they are not available in the UK (u can get in holland and germany) and Daiwa produce Muskie/pike rods that I would die for.
I know the arguement*limited market in the UK* will be used, but surely UK dealers should be able to get hold of European gear at reasonable costs since most of the UK stuff comes from China/Korea etc. anyway.
Any reps out there willing to comment?
Cheers

C

Chris Bishop

We have to face the fact we're now a secondary niche market. Not only are there hardly enough of us around to make it viable for the big companies, we have our own esoteric little requirements which are out of step with the rest of the world.

By the way, seen those recon Penn reels from Glasgow Angling Centre..? ?105 spinfishers for ?20 - ?30.