Daring to be Different

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
It's at times like this I wish my brother Rick contributed to magazines, forums etc. He's always been one for experimentation, and seeing as how he catches a million carp a year (okay, that was an exaggeration, but not by much!) he comes to a number of worthwhile and sometimes very surprising conclusions. Although he shares his findings with me, it's not for me to share them with a wider public - that's his privilege.

Another "left of field" player is Brian Mills (the wood-carving man). Brian, in addition to being one of angling's true gentlemen, is by nature a stalker - he creeps round with float tackle and, more often than not, bread, and consistently catches his share of carp. Trouble is, he often catches everyone else's share, too!

Rik and Stuart are absolutely correct - there are times when being different can prove extremely effective. But "being different" goes byond merely using a different bait or rig - they are merely elements in what should be a cohesive whole.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Well said Jim.

Being 'different' demands a mindset of it's own and not just changing a bait ot casting to a different area.

Rik/Stu - it never ceases to amaze me how many carp anglers ignore maggots. I have never targetted really large carp so can't really comment but on the water that I fish for bream and tench I know from experience that nothing brings carp (singles up to 20lb+) into your swim more than mass baiting of maggots.

Do you find this effective for really big carp also, i assume it would work as didn't 'Benson' or one of the country's other big residents fall to maggots several times ?

F

Frothey

maggots work, its just most are too lazy to use them and they think they'll only catch other (nuisance!! lol) species. Jason Callaghan took Wintons apart with maggots a few years ago, Benson has been caught on maggots, Two Tone on casters....its just you dont see them often used in the mags.

S

sash

I think it's very easy to get into a set routine when carp (or any other species I guess) fishing. 'Turn up, lob out the single boilie with pellet pva bag to your favourite island swim, switch on alarms and wait' sort of scenario. The key is realising that you are doing it and doing something to change that approach.

It's easy to continue along the same route, especially if it is a successful one, and not easy to blank the mind to a water thats been fished for years.

Simple scenario from a water I've fished the previous 3 years - I realised one day while sat behind the alarms that I was completely bored with the place. Yes, the scenery was fantastic, it was peaceful, I had a relatively decent catch return etc etc but I was still bored, I'd become predictable in my approach.

The next few times I fished it was as if starting with a blank canvas. I fished swims I usually avoided, I used baits and rigs that were considered a waste of time on that water, I spent far more time watching, learning, stalking and most importantly, I fished hard.

The resultant fish were special, they meant something and the fire was re-kindled. It's still going strong now and the lessons haven't been lost on me.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
A good example of how method and approach can be the measure of enjoyment. The big fish in the landing net isn't always the be-all and end-all.

Peter Webb 4

Reaction score
I suppose you could say I've been different for about 13 years because I've been using pepperami on the waters I have been fishing on a regular basis.I know more people are using it now but for a long time it was dismissed.Every single carp I have caught over the last 13 years has come out on pepperami.The last couple of years I have fished a local water and when I only had time for a day session I incorporated the pepperami with the method.The method is also dismissed by some people because it is supposed to produce smaller fish on the bank.Several times over the last couple of years I have put 6 or seven mid to upper twenties on the bank plus a personal best 41.25lb.mirror using this method just on day sessions.

B

Bully

My approach this year is totally different to last year.

I've stopped fishing.........and you know what, the results haven't changed a bit!!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
That'll all change in September Bully when we go to France. The fishing results will be the same for you, but once we squeeze you into our pre-prepared gimp suit all will become clear.

Me, Rik and Ginger Winger are already rubbing our thighs.

malc

Reaction score
"Me, Rik and Ginger Winger are already rubbing our thighs."

pmsl

?

<?))))><.???`?. callum ?.???`?.?><((((?>

Big rik I love you

I stalk constantly dairy lee excellent idea!

Ha ha ha I will share 1 bollie bans are a pain in ...you know were. So. Get some bisto curry granules and mix it up with bread and make a paste leave it in the sun to go hard
Stays on forever
Fits on your hairs

Also use Irish cream Rollos play with them in a bag and they go all mushy put in fridge and you get a lovely toffee paste.