Dave Harrell Floats

tincatim

Reaction score
Ok Sam my mistake :)

Regarding the sticks

The question is, was it just a bad batch ?

I got to try mine out today, all three that I used floated flat and didn't self cock.

That said, they're still nice floats and they still cast well compared to standard cane sticks.

trotter2

Reaction score
I got to try mine out today, all three that I used floated flat and didn't self cock.

That said, they're still nice floats and they still cast well compared to standard cane sticks.

Thanks Tincatim :)

Its a bit disappointing m8 as like you I purchased as Lignum and there obviously not ,nor are they anything remotely like lignum :eek:
Was the shooting load remotely accurate Tincatim ?

tincatim

Reaction score
The shotting wasn't too far out, the 4 no 4 needed another no6 and the 8 no4 was fine with that weighting. I did try the 14 no4 on a deeper spot, that took 13no4. To be honest that doesn't bother me too much, it would be nicer to know that the shotting is exact but I'd always add shot one at a time once close to capacity.

I've never used lignum floats before so wasn't aware they should be semi-self cocking.

xenon

Reaction score
true Lignum will at least be semi self cocking as it is one of the few timbers that is denser than water and will therefore sink in it.

B

binka

What's the thinking behind the Sensitip wagglers?

I've just had a quick look and I'm thinking that the entire buoyant part of the float is submerged leaving the low volume (plastic?) cross shape tip visible, unlike an insert waggler where part of the buoyancy is still visible and in the case of the Sensitip resulting in the more sensitive float hence the name?

Plastic and tip in the same sentence always reminds me of Walt's Newark Needle sticks although the Dave Harrell's do actually look good :D

I like the idea, I might take a punt on a set.

B

binka

Newark needle floats?? Wash your mouth out (with a beer of your choice), Steve.....:)

You still see a few of the originals hanging from the ends of overhanging trees around here Phil, no one bothers pulling them off :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
What's the thinking behind the Sensitip wagglers?

I've just had a quick look and I'm thinking that the entire buoyant part of the float is submerged leaving the low volume (plastic?) cross shape tip visible, unlike an insert waggler where part of the buoyancy is still visible and in the case of the Sensitip resulting in the more sensitive float hence the name?

You've answered your own question, but there's a bit more. The cross headed insert, that makes for a surprisingly sensitive float, also means it's highly visible. When many floats use thinner tips to increase sensitivity, it's nice to have a more sensitive float that you can see easily without straining.

B

binka

You've answered your own question, but there's a bit more. The cross headed insert, that makes for a surprisingly sensitive float, also means it's highly visible. When many floats use thinner tips to increase sensitivity, it's nice to have a more sensitive float that you can see easily without straining.

Thanks Sam, the high visibility has sealed it and I will definitely give them a go.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
As, technically, a "newbie" compared to most of you guys I had to google these floats.

Here's a comment I found on Piscatorum Arcanus:

They were complete *****, good for nothing and useless. Apart from that, a good investment

There was a time when quite a few of my mates gave up fishing and I bought a number of float collections. Every one seemed to have a Newark needle float and two or three quill floats.

The comment on Piscatorum is too kind, if anything :)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I've met Dave on several occasions over the years and listened to some of the talks he does, he's a top bloke with a lot of time for people... A thoroughly nice guy.

He did the early preston innovations winning pegs series and there is a lovely thing on you tube of him fishing for dace ( tons of maggots going in ) and just chatting about fishing - very good presenter I think

silvers

Reaction score
Yes - Dave's a good bloke and thoroughly approachable, as well as being one of the best running water float match anglers of all time.

tincatim

Reaction score
Yes I've always been impressed with Dave's videos and articles over the years, never met him but I'd very much like a coaching day on the river with him, I'm not sure he even does them though.

That's a nice gesture to provide his email for questions too.

silvers

Reaction score
Yes he does do coaching days ... Especially on the Wye near Hereford. Details on his web page or facebook page.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Gave the Sensitip 3AAA three sessions Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. Does exactly what it says on the wrapper:), 2 x AAA and 2 x No.1 to hold in place left about 2mm of the black stem showing didn't shot it right down due to the strong breeze and ripples, certainly more visible at distance than the inserts I normally use. May try the 6AAA on the Thames Sunday if conditions suit. Good pointer Sam, I'll be getting some more.

I have previously tried the thick insert as well but somehow didn't feel right :confused: