decent fishing

Disco stu

Reaction score
hi you guys.
i have recently moved from northampton to oakham which is near rutland water. i would appriciate any pointers to coarse fishing in the area. i have found a couple of lakes and i wouldnt mind a bit of river fishing as well. ive got a bit of athritis so i cant leg it too far, also info on any clubs in the area would be good, i dont know many people in the area, cheers.
ps, great site, very interesting and very funny, especially swordsy.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"very interesting and very funny, especially swordsy."

I'll have you know he's the official Fishingmagic executioner, he'll kill anybody for a pint of casters. Less if they're of foreign extraction.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`m sure that there is a tackle shop in oakham....i remember visiting one in that area some time ago.if its still there,give it a try.
there is a day ticket fishery at the far end of eyebrook trout resevoir called sweethedges....not too far from you.or providing that you have transport and you are able to make it over to corby(its where i live),we have a boating lake which is fishable on a day ticket.its stocked with some cracking roach,perch,crucians,tench,mirrors and commons.in the past i`ve seen some big rudd caught there,the odd chub and i`ve even caught a trout as well!!!
there is also toilets there and a cafe.
hope this is ok??? please feel free to e-mail me with any more enquiries etc....
tight lines.

Disco stu

Reaction score
cheers nick, transport no problemo,i have company van and a disco, know corby well, i have fished the boating lake before but nearly got beaten up by a gang of p****d up yobbos, had to return with my lads, one is a burly scaffolder and the other is a sniper in the Paras to seek retribution. good tackle shop, carp centre i think, the one where they do lambrettas up in the back, took me back to my youth,

Disco stu

Reaction score
wouldnt mind trying a bit of stalking on a river when it gets cooler, any suggestions on minimum tackle to carry, quiver type stuff, seat ect

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
if you dont mind the travelling from oakham to ringstead,then there is some good river sport,pike fishing and carping to be had at ringstead island....just follow the lane past the trout fishery.you`ll need a wellingboro clubcard and a key to open the gate.some cracking sport to be had around the oundle area as well.
as for what to take....well i`m no expert on that cos i always end up taking everything and the kitchen sink!!!
all you need is either a quiver or float rod,landing net,chair,perhaps a bank stick if quiver fishing and a bag with all your bits of tackle etc...
i have an old trout fishing bag brought from a carboot sale for a quid and in it i`ve got a set of small scales,large carrier bag to use as a sling,a fixed spool and a pin reel and a set of the angling times stack packs given away with the paper thats filled up with shot,hooks and weights etc....also in the bag is a tube filled with floats.
i use one of the drennan bait buckets for me bait obviously and i can normally fit me flask and packet of biscuits in there as well.
i may swap the bag over to a small rucksack so i can fit a tub of maggot and swimfeeders in there as well.

Disco stu

Reaction score
was looking at a pak-roamer framed seat box/bag in anglers mail, that might be a good idea, i am going to the tacklemania show at leicester weekend, might get some gear there

Disco stu

Reaction score
also someone gave me askari fishing catalogue, some stuff is rubbish but some looks quite usefull