Do fish have noses?

Aknib

Reaction score
As a generalisation I would be thinking no but can all fish be generalised in this respect?

Taste receptors maybe but then you don't really see those on Perch, Pike and Zander who hunt their prey via sight and distress signals detected via their lateral line nervous system which would indicate to me that Mother Nature gave each species the perfect equipment in relation to their hunting characteristics or did their otherwise accidental characteristics form their behaviour?

Looks very much like a nose to me as it's in the right place albeit a very hydrodynamic version and if it's a taste receptor how do we actually know that, as opposed to a smell detector?

nose.JPG

How convinced are you that fish can smell or is that snout nothing more than a filtering system of water to the mouth where the taste receptors would surely be and if that really is the case then why not just lazily sit there filtering water through the mouth and out of the gills taking in oxygen whilst detecting food and cutting out the middle man?

I've always been of the thinking that fish taste rather than smell but the more I look at it the more uncertain I am, what do you think?

The bad one

Reaction score
Fish have olfactory organs which unlike ours are a pouch affair. Scroll down this until you get to the Olfactory organs Fish have olfactory organs which unlike ours are a pouch affair. Scroll down this until you get to the Olfactory organs Sensory Organs of Fishes (With Diagram) (yourarticlelibrary.com) that probably has killed your thread dead.......sorry about that.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Go on then, I'll do the obvious terrible pun..... 'If they haven't, How do they smell?'

'Bloody Awful!'

I'll get me coat.