Do You Have Confidence in Confidence

sagalout

Reaction score
I wouldn't go fishing if I didn't have confidence I was going to catch, I have no interest in blanking. Obviously I do blank but up until I do I am confident I will catch. I often stay longer when blanking because I am confident I will catch if I just stay a bit longer.

bullet

Reaction score
On my local rivers, confidence has a different name, and that name is wasp grubs.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Hmmmm...after reading that lot....I think I have changed my mind. I don't think confidence has anything to do with catching fish....you either catch fish or you don't...However, knowing things other people doesn't know ..like knowing how to locate the fish on the venue and what bait to use for both hooking and feeding for example, how to tackle your chosen swim correctly after locating it and what method to use in it.... and if necessary, what time of day to fish it too........does help enormously.........

.....but that ain't confidence......that's just being a great angler.

I think what you need to constantly catch fish is lots of know how and much experience and I would think that loaded with those two attributes.....you would catch fish more times than not.

....with or without confidence.

Maverick

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
There was a quote from a famous golfer,''The more I practice, the luckier I get''. But as we all know luck is a random event, whilst consistency denotes skill/confidence. Interpret that how you will.

laguna

Reaction score
Define confidence?

Is it all-encompassing; skill, knowledge, ability, intuition, bait choice, tackle, experience etc. or...

Something that money can buy providing a foolhardy outlook in the face of diversity?

Whatever it is...once you start messing around straightening reel handles and other such pointless OCD's you've probably lost it! :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
When I leave home to go fishing I do so knowing that I have done everything possible to ensure my tackle and bait are it the best condition to catch fish. EVERY evening I sit with my tackle box and check I have, for example, sufficient tied hooks of a given pattern for the following days fishing. I will have a mental note from the previous outing of split shot of a certain size running low, that a certain float needs to be repainted etc etc. In other words I have total ' confidence ' in my tools for the job I hand.

Having arrived on the bank I will already have in mind where I hope to fish plus an alternative if the swim is already taken, having done my homework on prevailing conditions expected for the day. I will know the expected ambient temperature, wind direction and if it might change direction over my session, plus expected light levels from overcast, sunny or cloudy skies, again over the term of my session.
It is pointless dropping into a swim at 6am to fish for good roach ( with ideal overcast conditions ) only to find the sun pokes through an hour later and you find yourself, and more importantly the swim, bathed in bright sunshine !!

No, I don't have a ' what to do list with tick boxes ' in my hand every time I arrive on the bank as all the above is totally mental and what I have learned will give me the best chance of catching fish over 65 years of fishing. I know from long experience that sloppy preparation and zero thought will not give you the very best chance of putting fish on the bank simply because to my mind, anything worth doing is worth doing well.
No, it doesn't always work out even now, and I do suffer the odd blank, or more often than not a low return, BUT should it occur I will think about why happened on the way home and on into the evening.......Did I miss something ?
When the odd blanks befalls me, or God forbid, one follows another, I can honestly say I don't suffer what is often bandied around as ' a dip in confidence ' because I just don't think that way....I just renew my efforts and look harder at why it might've happened.

All to often I see this confidence word used as excuse for lack of ability, lack of thought about what you're trying to achieve or worse, just plain laziness. Tell someone often enough they are ' lacking in confidence ' and pretty soon they will begin to believe it !!

Chaps walk past me when fishing with the words " They just weren't feeding today " OR " you were obviously lucky enough to drop into a swim loaded with fish " but it would never enter the brain that my skill and thought had anything to do with it....Of course they will race to my swim on the next outing and still catch nowt....
I even hear the odd comment applied to me " he's a damn good angler and always manages to catch " almost as if it's an excuse/reason as to why they don't !
What a load of cobblers !!

I KNOW I'm a pretty good angler with the ability to catch on most days, and if that comes under the heading of ' confidence ' OR EVEN ' over confidence' then I'm happy to live with it.
What I'm absolutely sure of is that it didn't just happen. I LOVE working hard to achieve success, but I still enjoy every minute...

To anybody I say, work hard at your sport, use your brain, think about all you do and 'confidence ' will flow as another good fish slides into the net. We all start from the same point, don't we ??

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
But as we all know luck is a random event, .

Or are we only allotted a certain amount of luck in a lifetime! A lucky fisherman uses all his luck up fishing and the luckier he is the more fanatical he becomes and then his wife leaves him with the house the kids he loses his job etc etc just to redress the balance.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
You can rock up at a water brimful of confidence in the bait, your rigs, your method, approach, watercraft, you can even be wearing yer lucky green shreddies with yer rabbits foot tucked safely down the front.... the problem is.... If the fish ain't there, or aren't in the mood to feed, all your confidence is worth three fifths of bu&&er all....

sometimes it happens.... sometimes it doesn't:wh:w

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
You can rock up at a water brimful of confidence in the bait, your rigs, your method, approach, watercraft, you can even be wearing yer lucky green shreddies with yer rabbits foot tucked safely down the front.... the problem is.... If the fish ain't there, or aren't in the mood to feed, all your confidence is worth three fifths of bu&&er all....

sometimes it happens.... sometimes it doesn't:wh:w

It's the percentages of how often it happens or doesn't happen that defines it Arthur.

law

Reaction score
I don't think confidence has anything to do with catching fish....you either catch fish or you dont

Maverick

Exactly. How the hell do the fish know if youre confident or not?
They hardly go 'oooo, this guy is confident today, lets eat his bait'

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Confidence ?

Be sure you have done all you can on any given venue, by that I mean equipment, bait, location, watercraft, time of year, weather and rigs.

Given that you may fish with confidence, if you do not have confidence, give up fishing and take up golf.

And lastly the biggest part of the confidence equation, are you fishing the right water that contains the fish you want to catch ?

So I'm confident that I'm on a water containing the size of Chub I want to catch, I know the bait works and the rigs work, all I need now is TIME and that is down to the angler and how much he wants it !!

That for me is Confidence.

:wh

Bob